• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have always been a fan of a good leather holster. Something about it feels right. Years ago, I found the Galco Fletch holster, and I absolutely love it. I holds the gun snug against my body, and has a retention strap. I haven't really been a fan of plastic/kydex holsters because in my experience they seen to flop around, and just arent comfortable for me.

So, I was at my local gun shop the other day looking at a few things, and ran across a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my Glock 23. It wasn't actually that expensive at $50 (compared to the Galco Fletch at $90). I decided that I would go ahead and try it since I had heard good things about it.

Wow! Am I impressed! First of all, it comes with 2 methods of carry. It comes with belt loops as standard, but also comes with a paddle attachment. 3 screws is all it takes to remove the belt attachment and convert it to a paddle holster. It also has 6 different cant positions. I decided to go with the paddle attachment since that means that I can remove the entire holster without unbuckling my belt.

I have found many of the plastic holsters are bulky and hold the gun too far away from my body, but the Blackhawk keeps the gun fairly close to my body like I like it. And it is incredibly light compared to the leather holster. I barely even notice that the gun is on my hip with the Blackhawk. I also like the Serpa technology. Retention is great, and the release button is right where your finger naturally goes when you unholster. It didn't take much practice getting the hang of it.

I highly recommend this holster. it is light, comfortable and has a good deal of retention, while at the same time being easy to draw. I think this is going to turn into my EDC.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    As with many things there is a lot of "controversy" around the holster most of it internet lore but

I have to agree with you I have been using the serpa with my M&P for about 4 years now. I've carried and competed with it. I've taken 5 training classes with it and have to say I can't really find a holster I would rather have

once you get used to the zero drag release of the holster its tough to go back to a holster that holds by friction and give you an uneven draw.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    It's almost always my around the house holster, and quite frequently my OC option. Very comfortable, glad you got the one with both carry options, some come with just the belt loops and I know many, myself included, prefer the paddle option as it can help keep the gun and holster tight against the body. And with it's price it's also a good option for those that are new to the guns and are having trouble warming up to a $80+ hybrid or leather holster but need something quality for EDC in the meantime.

Don't worry about the internet controversy unless you're buying an old used one or are planning on breaking the four rules. I did have some noise issues with mine, but two tabs of felt and some superglue over a year ago and it's been almost as perfect as the Glock ever since.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I got one off a fellow INGOer at the Valpo Gun Show. I have only been to the range twice with it, but after many draw and fire drills, I must say, I find myself not ever reaching for the Galco Combat Master holster. The Serpa is just such a good system for the M&P.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I use a serpa paddle for my M&P .40

After awhile its like the gun is not even there.

Only bad thing is it wears the bluing off on the slide in some spots from repeated withdraws.

The comfort, retention and speed of access more than makes up for that though.

Believe I paid 25 to 30 bucks for mine new

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I was considering a Serpa and then I was turned towards an iTAC Defense roto retention paddle holster..... Awesome holster and I've actually took off running (chasing the kids around an open field) and didn't have any noticeable "bounce" to it at all..... But congrats on the buy!!!!

EDIT: Also the iTAC isn't made of the thin Kydex like Fobus... It's made of polymer

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I'm glad to see this post as I was considering getting one of these. And would like to see more people who have owned one chime in on what they think about it, before I buy one. Thanks in advanced.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'm glad to see this post as I was considering getting one of these. And would like to see more people who have owned one chime in on what they think about it, before I buy one. Thanks in advanced.
    Well, you asked...
    No seriously, while my Serpa is not my favorite holster, it did it's job well when I did use it. I still keep it in the gear bag, but most of the time I use my RCS Phantom or a bladetech.

I had never had an issue with it until I took a training course and was doing pretty fast draws with controlled pairs from about 7yds in under 2 seconds. One time I pulled up on the gun slightly before fully depressing the button and the gun would not come out.

Although this was the only problem I ever had with it, it was enough to cause me to get a new holster when I got home.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I have two of them, but only use them at the range.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I enjoy carring my smith and wesson 40 with my serpa even around the house without anyone noticing and its comfortable except when sitting if you have a full size. at least for me.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I carry the "duty" version both on and off duty. For me its the best holster I own. One thing I do wish, is one for a Sig 229 with a light ( blackhawks {the only light that works with their holster}). (the 228 version is just too tight I have tried 3 different ones to make sure it wasnt just the holster i tried)

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have the Blackhawk Serpa for almost every pistol I own. Absolutely love the diversity of the paddle or belt loops. The draw with my Glock is fluid. Love the retention system.

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    I carry my G23 and G17 in mine. Now I do not carry as much as I should or like too, so with that being said, I have found that with ANY holster the BIGGEST KEY IS PRACTICE. IF you are going to bet your life or others on your ability to draw, you need to practice. The release on the side , better know where it is and know how much pressure to engage it so your weapon will release. It can be surprising when you try to draw and you rip your pants attempting to get it out!!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I bought one for my G22. The only problem i had with it was that it left a mark on the slide. When I recently traded my 22 for a 23 I chopped a half inch off the end of it and used the soft side of some self adhesive velcro on the inside where it was rubbing the slide and also under the trigger guard which takes out a lot of the movement.

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I agree. I bought the Blackhawk Serpa for my Glock 23 a few weeks ago. The retention feature is great and I like the placement of my trigger finger when the weapon is drawn. As I draw, my trigger finger releases the retention feature and rests directly above the trigger, along the slide. +1 Blackhawk!

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    I have owned several of these (M92, several for USPs, and I'm looking for one for my XDM). Passive and active retention means I've been able to use the on my Blackhawk dropleg platform with no problem or loss, even in the midst of full runs. Like one other member warned, they will rub your gun in certain spots, especially on the left side of your upper. But patience, sandpaper, files and a bit of time will really make them into excellent holsters.

Top Bottom