• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wasn't slavery abolished in the North at that time?

Now and try point to a counterpart that was in the company of Jefferson Davis.

Now back to reparations. If I honestly thought that throwing money at select individuals based on race could solve even a fraction of the problems, I'd write a check for $10k right now.

But it won't, so I won't; nor will I support the US govt. doing it.

All this talk about slave owning blacks, and blacks enslaving blacks, is a distraction and appears petty and tone deaf.
    So when only 1.8% of Southern whites owned slaves we should blame the 98.2% who did not? Where as 28% of free Blacks owned slaves. Yes it comes into play and a majority of those black slave owners supported the Confederacy.

Let's get to the root of black slavery. Africans sold Africans to white slave traders. That's the root cause.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have quite a few Underground RR farms in my area. Most were spaced a days wagon ride apart. I know of 5 or so in Berrien County,Michigan, and La Porte Co. Indiana.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012

Now and try point to a counterpart that was in the company of Jefferson Davis.

Now back to reparations. If I honestly thought that throwing money at select individuals based on race could solve even a fraction of the problems, I'd write a check for $10k right now.

But it won't, so I won't; nor will I support the US govt. doing it.

All this talk about slave owning blacks, and blacks enslaving blacks, is a distraction and appears petty and tone deaf.
    What???? Maybe you should read a little history before commenting. Fredrick Douglas was an escaped slave from Maryland who rose to prominence lending his exceptional oratorical and linguistic skills to the abolitionist movement. This was before the civil war. Kut said that couldn't happen. He is wrong.

What the frick does the Jefferson Davis comment have to do with it?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have quite a few Underground RR farms in my area. Most were spaced a days wagon ride apart. I know of 5 or so in Berrien County,Michigan, and La Porte Co. Indiana.
    We had a few near where I grew up outside of Edwardsburg and running up through Vandalia.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I believe it was said that white people owning black slaves was worse than blacks in African countries owning black slaves, because in Africa the slaves could become equal to their former slave owners and in America they would not be viewed as an equal or advance societally.

I believe that’s why Fredrick Douglas was mentioned.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What???? Maybe you should read a little history before commenting. Fredrick Douglas was an escaped slave from Maryland who rose to prominence lending his exceptional oratorical and linguistic skills to the abolitionist movement. This was before the civil war. Kut said that couldn't happen. He is wrong.

What the frick does the Jefferson Davis comment have to do with it?
    Which society did he rise to prominence in? One with slavery, or one without?
    And you said it yourself - he escaped (and went North). He was released because of his oratory skill and made on par with his former overseers.

Douglas had a relationship with Lincoln in the North. Did any black man have such a relationship with Jefferson Davis? No?

So then please explain how a slave could ever raise to the level of a white man [in an area with slavery]. (this was Kut's original premise)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So when only 1.8% of Southern whites owned slaves we should blame the 98.2% who did not? Where as 28% of free Blacks owned slaves. Yes it comes into play and a majority of those black slave owners supported the Confederacy.

Let's get to the root of black slavery. Africans sold Africans to white slave traders. That's the root cause.
    No we shouldn't blame anyone. Isn't that the point we should be making? It's now hundreds of years later.
    As a conservative, I think the first step is to stop trying to point at ghosts for the your own shortcomings.
    Stop trying to exhort money by calling it "reparations".

Besides, I stopped blaming the Romans for killing Jesus.

PS - Even if a landowner didn't own slaves, he still probably rented them for seasonal work.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    So then please explain how a slave could ever raise to the level of a white man [in an area with slavery]. (this was Kut's original premise)
    Kut's original premise does not specify. Show me where it does. If you can I will accept it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fredrick Douglas?
    Being taken from your home in chains and being sent to the new world as a slave is not indentured servitude, even if you were Irish.

Kut, there was so much wrong in what you said I don't even know where to begin.

I'll just leave this here.

Post in thread 'The Ferguson thread' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/the-ferguson-thread.356541/post-5465610
    I remember that conversation, and had it in mind when I weighed in. Irish indentured servitude was slavery, but not nearly (not by a mile) like the slavery of Africans in America.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "That was never, and could never be the case in North America." Is FALSE. Just calling you out on a false statement. A black man has been president. Not only is that equal to my social status it may be a little above me. :cool:
    Yeah, not false. Look back. “What” could never be the case in “North America?”

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It didn't. I inferred it because it was blatantly false without the qualifier - you pointed that out yourself, if I'm not mistaken.
    The qualifier was in the post in question. He just read how he wanted to read it, omitting context.

Top Bottom