• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Im in the process of getting a black powder revolver, an 1858 Army Uberti Repro. I've wanted one for awhile to go with my .50 cal Hawkin, but I have a few questions.

1) What can I do with one?? besides handle it between commercials of Wyatt Earp...Are they fun target shooters? I know I cant hunt with one or anything. Do they pack a pretty good punch? I've heard they are pretty accurate for what they are.What do you guys do with them?

2) Im worried about the notorious CHAIN FIRE. I'm kinda scared. I've also heard stories of squib shots where the ball is still in the barrel..until the next shot......:eek: Are these something that you should shoot rarely or what? People say they will eventually just wear out. The one im discussing has a brass frame, but im not real worried as long as I keep the powder to around 20gr i think ill be fine.

I like to shoot my guns as much as i can, so I hope black powder is relatively cheap. So far it seems to be. Any input is appreciated. THANKS

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They are fun to shoot...not to sure about hunting but should be as relaible as any muzzle loader in regards to balls stuck in the barrel....they are dirty to shoot.

As for the chain fire...it is best to buy some of the chamber "butter" that is sold to seal off each individual chamber after the gun is loaded to protect the loaded chambers from errant sparks.

Have fun with it....:ar15:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I had a 1858 remington I shot for years....never had a problem. To prevent chain fires I would use crisco. I read that years ago and it worked for me.
    I would melt it then put it in squeeze bottles to cool. I had bullet molds and cast my own bullets right on the kitchen stove. That was part of the fun of it.
    But...it is dirty fun. I would let the soot from a burning candle get in the mold cavity so the lead wouldn't stick.

Eddie

Master
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I've shot them. Lots of fun to take the time to carefully load each chamber and then fire away. No, they aren't very practical, but they will help teach you good shooting habits as the time that it takes to reload will make you not want to waste a single shot. Something about the gear, the powder flask, the bullets, just makes one awesome to take out and plink some cans.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Agreed. Awesome plinkers, and really lots of fun to play with. Don't know about you guys, but I was taught to put a pinch of corn meal over my powder and before seating the bullet, and that THAT prevented chainfires. Any comments from the experts? I'd really like to know, preferably BEFORE I blow up a .44 six shooter in my hand.

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    It was my understanding that corn meal is used as a filler to make sure you are getting everything packed in real good. Since the plunger doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the chamber it is possible to load a charge and then not seat the bullet clear down on the (small) powder charge. Thus you havn't compressed your charge and that's dangerous. It would probably also stop chain fires, but i don't know that for a fact.

I would just use lubricated wads between powder and ball. Or crisco over the loaded shot.

However, I don't own one of these. I really want one, but it's just a plinker so i havn't been able to justify one yet.

Make sure you clean it after every outing. People claim they wear out, but no one ever actually has one, they just know a guy or heard about a guy.

I've heard the .44's have similar power to a weak .38? Is this about right?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd say it's on a par with a regular .38 special target round. Maybe not quite as fast. I think it's a darn shame we can't hunt with them, but then I can see every bubba in the county trying to knock over bucky at 100yds with one... That wouldn't be any good.

rabbit

Plinker
    May 15, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had a Ruger .44 for several years! Lots of fun to shoot too! I did use it for late season squirrel hunting when their on the ground(hard to hit but good practice) and fox and coyote hunting. You want to be sure and put bore butter or something over the end of the cylinder prevent the chain fires.

Claddagh

Expert
    May 21, 2008
    Been shooting BP repros since I was a kid. To show you how long ago that was, if you cast your own balls and used Crisco for lube/sealer they were as cheap to shoot as a .22RF.

Power-wise, a RB load with a full charge of FFFg (approx. 30 gr.) gives about 850 f/s. Since a 0.454" pure lead ball weighs approx 148 gr., that's roughly equivalent to a .38 Spl. Conicals give you a bit more "oomph", but with the exception of the ones from a Lee mould or the "ball-ets" from Buffalo are seldom as accurate IME.

Hunting small game and nuisance critters with one is a real challenge, but they'll do the job fine if you do your part right.

"Real" BP is getting tough to find around these parts since it was reclassified by BATFE as an Explosive. Different storage, shipping and sale regulations than "smokeless" propellents got a lot of dealers outta the game. FWIW, I've been using Pyrodex P because it's much easier to find, much less hassle to buy and it works just dandy.

IIWY, I'd stick with steel frames instead of brass if you're planning on shooting a lot. FWIW, none of the original Colt or Remington "Army" or "Navy" models were made with one. The Confederate States were forced to go with brass on their 'copies' because they had neither the material resources nor the manufacturing facilities to use iron. Brass won't hold up nearly as well under extended use, and the sulpher and nitrate residue from firing can act to degrade it relatively quickly as well.

Personally, I prefer to use a treated felt wad between the powder and ball instead of grease or Crisco over it most of the time anymore. It's a whole lot less messy and just as effective, especially on warm days or if you're carrying your revolver in a holster. Properly (snugly) fitting caps are at least as necessary for preventing multiple discharges (chain-fires) as a wad or grease, IMO. I've never experienced one myself, but I've heard the tales and seen the videos so I've always been extremely carefull about both.

Squibs can happen. I've had a few over the years, mostly due to a powder charge getting contaminated with oil/grease or moisture. The thing to remember is that if a shot feels or sounds "different", STOP shooting!! Keep your weapon pointed down range for at least 30-45 seconds, decap any unfired chambers and check to find out why! "Hang-fires" are relatively rare, but they can happen, so NEVER turn that muzzle away from the target area before you've done that!!

Most of my BP revolver shooting anymore is strictly for fun, plinking and casual target stuff when I feel like I need more of a challenge or just slow down and enjoy the change. Be sure to wear old clothes, bring lots of rags and a few 'wet naps'; you can get dirty but it's still lots of fun.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    They are fun to shoot...not to sure about hunting but should be as relaible as any muzzle loader in regards to balls stuck in the barrel....they are dirty to shoot.

As for the chain fire...it is best to buy some of the chamber "butter" that is sold to seal off each individual chamber after the gun is loaded to protect the loaded chambers from errant sparks.

Have fun with it....:ar15:

Yep....agreed!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Agreed. Awesome plinkers, and really lots of fun to play with. Don't know about you guys, but I was taught to put a pinch of corn meal over my powder and before seating the bullet, and that THAT prevented chainfires. Any comments from the experts? I'd really like to know, preferably BEFORE I blow up a .44 six shooter in my hand.

Make sure it shaves a ring of lead when you seat the ball or bullet and pinch yer caps a little. It's fun and keeps em on yer nipples tight. If you are getting caps falling off while you are shooting, yer flirt'n with a chain fire.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've heard the .44's have similar power to a weak .38? Is this about right?

I've clocked my 200 grain maxi ball bullets at 950 fps. That's a pretty stiff hit IMO.

My boy was just giving me some lip today when I strapped up to walk down to the mail box.

"That's not really practical for defense... blah blah",

"Well get out your 380 when we get to the bridge and let's see how practical it is."

" ( no comment) "

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom