• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a .50 CVA, my first BP gun given to me as a kit. I too had problems with accuracy shooting round balls with pillow tick patches and home made jube (read Crisco). I read an article in Musselblasts magazine from NMLRA that said the issue was burnt patches. Sure enough, I picked up some from down range and they were smoldering and had holes burnt in them. It was suggested in the article that loading the powder followed by about a half charge of Cream of Wheat cereal then the patched ball would help. What the heck, got some CoW and tried it. Before shooting breakfast down range I could only hit the side of a barn if'n I was in the barn. After the cereal load I got 2" to 3" groups at 50 yards. Cheap enough to try and if it don't work you have some breakfast.
    OMB

GBolt

Plinker
    Apr 12, 2013
    TC Thunderhawk question

I have a stainless Thompson Center Thunderhawk that has a serial number less than 26500. I've looked online for information about the gun, specifically to look into black powder alternatives and #11 cap replacements. What I found is, the information online states it is only for guns with serial numbers greater than 26500. What is different about the higher serial number guns? Does this mean I am limited to only black powder and pyrodex and #11 caps?

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    I think figuring out the load is alot of fun and by the time you are done you definitely know the gun.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    I got a notice today--thursday(4-18-13) from the NMLRA that senator lautenberg is going to introduce a bill that would require a federal background check for a Blacpowder purchase in ANY amount--1lb or more..

This will be "step one" in requireing background checks for any loading components

Continue contacting your reps--tell them"NO NEW GUN LAWS"

tallend

Scttmtclf

Plinker
    Apr 19, 2013
    Kosciusko Co
    I got a notice today--thursday(4-18-13) from the NMLRA that senator lautenberg is going to introduce a bill that would require a federal background check for a Blacpowder purchase in ANY amount--1lb or more..

This will be "step one" in requireing background checks for any loading components

Continue contacting your reps--tell them"NO NEW GUN LAWS"

tallend

We may have won this most recent battle, but they are like a flood. You plug one hole in the dam, and they try 23 other holes until they find one you can't plug. Looks like we need more hands!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Contemporary Makers: William Kennedy

Posted this in the handguns section and got not love. Thought maybe this group would enjoy the pictures.

Doing a little google-fu and found pictures of a flintlock pistol I previously owned,..... and regretfully sold. I wish I had NEVER sold this, but I really needed the cash at the time. The pistol is the one shown in the first series of photos on the link. It was absolutely beautiful work, enjoy the photos. It was one of a matched set. I had one, a friend had the other one. I am positive this one was mine based on the almost invisible repair on the wrist, expertly done by Ron Ehlert. THIS is one I'd love to have back.

Dirty Steve

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN

Some beautiful work there! I love seeing what some smiths can do with a piece of metal! I'm usually into slightly more modern guns, but the level of craftsmanship is just amazing. And the time it must take to make them!

I'll try to find some more examples, but I'm reminded of names such as Holland and Holland. They tend more toward the perfection of the tool/gun itself rather than being ornate but it's the craftsmanship that amazes me!

Thanks for posting that!

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    So I just picked up a Thompson Center Arm .50 cal Pennsylvania Hunter cap lock rifle. I wanted something to get me started on the BP route and this wandered in front of me for a good deal (in trade).

I am completely new to black powder and was wondering if there are any good videos for beginners how-to/safety. :dunno:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So I just picked up a Thompson Center Arm .50 cal Pennsylvania Hunter cap lock rifle. I wanted something to get me started on the BP route and this wandered in front of me for a good deal (in trade).

I am completely new to black powder and was wondering if there are any good videos for beginners how-to/safety. :dunno:

MCFG has a monthly BP shoot. MCFG Indy Range - Official Events Calendar and Schedule The next one is July 20th. I know folk would be more than happy help you get started. Check out this forum also Forums - Traditional Muzzleloading Forum - Muzzleloader Flintlock Black Powder

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Just a couple of things to remember about smokepoles.
    1) Do NOT get in a big hurry to dump more powder down the muzzle after a shot. Burning embers can remain and set off a charge inserted prematurely. NEVER position your head/face above the barrel when loading or loaded. I know that should be a no-brainer, and that's precisely what could happen if you dump powder on "hot-coals".

2) Clean your muzzle loader IMMEDIATELY after EVERY shooting session! Do NOT let it sit, even for just a day.
    Corrosive salts will destroy your barrel! Wash it down with water and a mild soap solution. Rinse, repeat, rinse again, and then dry it COMPLETELY before storage.
    I use a hair blow dryer to aide in the drying process.

Have fun. Be aware of your target AND your back-stop. Many people seem to think that such an antiquated firearm can't have that much power. They are what I like to call WRONG!
    I flipped a whitetail doe backward, head-over heels with a .50cal slug to the breast-plate at about 40 yards. She came completely off the ground.
    Muzzle loaders will also carry further than most might think.
    I've seen account after account of deer taken at 150-200 yards with a muzzle loader.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Very nice, thanks for the info.

singlesix - do you know if that event is open to the public or have to join?

Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    A good way to start may be a combined discussion of front stuffers and black powder cartridge firearms. My favorite pistols and rifles are 45lc and 45-70.

warhawk77

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking and reading up for a while and I'm about to order me a 1858 black powder pistol. Cabelas has them on sale for $200 so not a bad place to start.

For those that don't know there is a group north of fort wayne that shoots every month. I'm going to go watch them shoot and get some knowledge before I get too deep in Black powder

Top Bottom