• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Thanks for the come back. I have the patience and will hang on till someone has the itch. You're right about the "economy" of gun buys. I'm amused that folks are stocking up for the day the government comes for their guns so they can "defend" themselves and their stuff. The government has drones! We don't! I doubt the battle would be a long one especially if'n yur shootin with charcoal.
    OMB

warhawk77

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone have a suggestions for people just wanting to get into black powder? I very new to these weapons but I am wanting to learn some stuff before I blow $300-400 and find out I screwed up.

I understand the way black powder rifles and pistols work but I have never owned one. But I think it is about time to get started. There are a few reasons why I'm looking now,
    1- I can hunt with muzzle loaders
    2- In theory I could make my own black powder in a SHTF
    3- They aren't cover under normal gun laws so they might slip thru any bands
    4- This will be another set of skills that could be useful

So I'm looking for a good place to start. Does anyone have a web sites for beginners? Advice where to start or stay away from?

I understand there are modern and traditional style, that doesn't matter to me I would be open to both for the right deal. I would think the modern ones could be safer or more reliable, but the older flint style would give me more survival options.

I know I want 2 muzzle loaders and 1 pistol. It would be nice if all 3 could share powder and bullets if that is a option.

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I've tried listing a couple of BP long guns in the classifieds and.....nothing. I went to Graybeard Outdoors and same thing. I checked several sites to be sure my asking prices were not out of line and they're not. Any suggestions as to where, other than waiting till the Friendship shoot, where I might git 'em sold?
    OMB
    any dedicated BP forum. Seems like things sell pretty well at The Firing Line Forums
    You can also check out The 1858 Remington Forum - Index
    but I think there are a lot of guys over there that are like me, and pretty tight with a dollar bill!

exbrit

Shooter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    I am new to this forum and use several, although I shoot many other types of firearms, I also love BP.
    I have a 50 Cal Thompson Center Hawken and two 1858 Remingtons, and an 1861 New army colt. These are really fun to shoot.
    Yes I would like to see a subsection in the forums dedicated to BP
    For the person In FW indiana that wanted some info and help in getting in to BP shooting, send me a PM and maybe we can get together, I am only 15 miles out of FW. I am not an expert but have been shooting BP for well over 20 years. Will gladly help if I can
    Roger

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    I two 1858 Remingtons, and an 1861 New army colt. These are really fun to shoot.

Roger

Hey Roger,

Glad to hear from you, So let me ask which do you like better The Remington Or the colt better????? Bit of a loaded question :)

exbrit

Shooter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    The remmies win Indy!

Hi Indy, I have the two Remmies and one colt. I have to say I lean more toward the Remmies. The top strap adds so much strength to the Remmies they can handle much heavier loads and are less subject to damage.
    The Colts also seem to need the cyclinder removed for cleaning about every 2 chamber loads where the Remmies will often go 3 or 4. I have to Piettas and one Euroams and all are great value for money.have had a couple Ubertis and they are great too.
    Only ever had one problem and that was on my 12" barrel Bufflalo Remmie, the hand wore down and would not rotate the cylinder, I was able to get a new one and it took me about 2 hours of careful fitting to get it timed right and back in service.
    I pretty much use a standard charge of 25gr FFFg in all of them and find that to be a really nice loading, I cast my own RB and I cast them at .454 diameter and that provides a very consistant loading fo me.
    I tried Pyrodex Pistol for the first time last Fall and found it very acceptable using the same 25 Gr charge.
    I have been making paper cartridges this winter
    I load the ball and powder in a rolled up cigarette paper and they make it so much fast to load the revolver at the range. I just lightlt tear the paper as I insert it in to the cylinder and then ram it down, I dont even use crisco over the top now, so its cleaner too.
    SO whats every ones pet loads for the 44 Cal Remmies ad Colts
    Roger

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    I lean more toward the Remmies.
    Roger

I do not have a Remington yet... Never liked the look over the colt open top look..... BUUUUTTTT as each year goes by the superior design of the Remington just keeps coming through and I am getting close to getting one.. I have been using this crazy time to get some of the BP guns that I have been neglecting over the years.. In fact I was this close to getting a Remington last night but delayed a little to long..

Hope not to offend be I am a bit of a weenie on the BP loads in my handguns I keep them at 20 to 25 (except for the Walker that's always 40 plus (just as Captain Walker intended)

Have been wanting to paper roll but just never took the time, Have seen a few guys take their paper rolled cartridges and then place them in a repro paper wraps. Some of them can look like a works of art.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Hi Indy, I have the two Remmies and one colt. I have to say I lean more toward the Remmies. The top strap adds so much strength to the Remmies they can handle much heavier loads and are less subject to damage.
    The open top design is plenty sturdy in a steel frame if the arbor and wedge fit correctly. The problem is on the Italian reproductions they don't tend to. On the Uberti Colt the arbor tends to be too short. That is to say that the hole is drilled slightly too deep so that the arbor is not firmly against the frame when the wedge is in place. I talked to a guy on another forum who corrected this by drilling a hole in the end of the arbor threading it and inserting a screw. then filing the head of the screw to fit. I just have a little baggie full of washers that I found that fit the gap nicely. I just drop one in the hole before I put the barrel on. I lose 2 0r 3 every time I shoot, but washers are cheap.
    The Colts also seem to need the cyclinder removed for cleaning about every 2 chamber loads where the Remmies will often go 3 or 4. I have to Piettas and one Euroams and all are great value for money.have had a couple Ubertis and they are great too.
    I take the cylinder out every time and load with a loading press. It just seems a little easier than using the loading lever. I give the cylinder a quick rub with a baby wipe. Really does the trick.
    Only ever had one problem and that was on my 12" barrel Bufflalo Remmie, the hand wore down and would not rotate the cylinder, I was able to get a new one and it took me about 2 hours of careful fitting to get it timed right and back in service.
    I pretty much use a standard charge of 25gr FFFg in all of them and find that to be a really nice loading, I cast my own RB and I cast them at .454 diameter and that provides a very consistant loading fo me.
    I tried Pyrodex Pistol for the first time last Fall and found it very acceptable using the same 25 Gr charge.
    I have been making paper cartridges this winter
    I load the ball and powder in a rolled up cigarette paper and they make it so much fast to load the revolver at the range. I just lightlt tear the paper as I insert it in to the cylinder and then ram it down, I dont even use crisco over the top now, so its cleaner too.
    SO whats every ones pet loads for the 44 Cal Remmies ad Colts
    Roger

Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    The Colts also seem to need the cyclinder removed for cleaning about every 2 chamber loads where the Remmies will often go 3 or 4.

exbrit -- I don't know what type lube you are using, but, there is no reason your Colt cylinders should need cleaning that often.

While I'm not a expert, I do put 800-1000 balls down range in a year, and in a 6 stage cowboy match (2 guns loaded 6 times), I've never had to clean them between stages. I use 25-26 grains of Goex FFFg, a lubricated wad and a .454 ball. I load with the cylinder in the guns (on a stand), loading powder & wads to all chambers, then go back and add the balls. Got it down to about 10 minutes (2 cylinders, 5 chambers each).

Flattop57

Plinker
    Feb 27, 2013
    I would like to see a black powder group. I'm just getting started in flintlock rifle shooting and would love some advise. I'm looking for a left handed flintlock long rifle. Any ideas where to start looking for an inexpensive gun to start?

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, I finally managed to get photos of three of my flintlocks.

First up is my First Model Long Land Musket (AKA Brown Bess).
    Bess.jpg

BessLockCloseUp.jpg

Next is my .50 caliber Longrifle.
    Longrifle.jpg

LongrifleLockCloseUp.jpg

Last is my .36 caliber Longrifle.
    SquirrelRifle.jpg

SquirrelRifleLockCloseUp.jpg

Very nice! :rockwoot: Can't wait to get me a bess someday :D

the buckskinner

Plinker
    Jan 19, 2011
    flattop57 check out national muzzleloading rifle association.NMLRA. they have a charter club list. may be a club in your area. friendship national shoot starts second weekend of june. might find a gun down there. flintlocks are alot of fun. i have 5 of em.

Jhampton

Plinker
    Mar 4, 2013
    My dad got me into blackpowder shooting and I love it. There is a club in edwardsburg Michigan that has a shoot every third Sunday of the month. Everyone talks about Friendship but I've never been there. I currently shoot a t/c renegade and and on the verge of buying a t/c patriot. I find shooting BP very relaxing and challenging at the same time. I am hoping to have a friend of my dads help me make a flint lock.

Underdogg39

Plinker
    Mar 2, 2013
    I love my old side hammers but they've def taken a back seat to my encore. I still love to shoot my ol 58 cal and Hawkins 54 cal, but when it comes to hitting the woods the encore wins!!

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Mar 6, 2013
    i have a cva wolf 50, i bore sighted it, took it to the fields to sight it in and cant hit a dang thing i dont know if its the rifle or me but i think ill stick to my shotgun for deer season

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    i have a cva wolf 50, i bore sighted it, took it to the fields to sight it in and cant hit a dang thing i dont know if its the rifle or me but i think ill stick to my shotgun for deer season

Tell us more! We can help!

Load? Bullet? Powder? Charge?

What optic?

What range/distance?

Define "can't hit a dang thing"! 3" groups at 100 yards? or 10" groups at 10 yards?

What position? Rested or off-hand?

What do you shoot out of your shotgun and what kind of accuracy do you consider acceptable!? (see all above questions, but with shotgun in mind!)

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to make this gun work for you! Maybe somebody on this forum can figure out what's going on here!

Top Bottom