• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I haven't shot a black powder gun for quite some time. I am looking at getting my own. Any suggestions on what to start with. I have been looking at places like cabela's to order one. What are some of the things I might want to consider when purchasing one?

Traditional M/L loading (Flintlocks and Percussion) or Modern In-Line?

Belt99

Plinker
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I am looking at traditional, percussion cap revolvers and rifles.

It seems like the Traditions revolvers are less expensive but I don't know much about them!

Belt99

Plinker
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably have to wait a bit so I can buy somthing that will last and I willbe happy with instead of rushing in and buying something because it is affordable.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably have to wait a bit so I can buy somthing that will last and I willbe happy with instead of rushing in and buying something because it is affordable.

MCFG MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range has its M/L shoot on the 3rd Sat of the month. The next one is scheduled, weather permitting, for 18 Feb 12, 10AM; you should come out and check out and shoot the rifles and pistols. The BP shooters are a friendly bunch and will be more than happy to let you try the rifles and pistols.

leegalbird

Plinker
    Jan 22, 2012
    Hello I have a Thompson Thunder Hawk .50 Cal How do I fire it ?
    I'd like to fire it before I sell it. LOL

leegalbird

Plinker
    Jan 22, 2012
    I understand it's black powder ?

I know I see a cap ...
    My thoughts are to sell It as well but do not know a price ...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Sometimes, but only if we are going out somewhere nice to dinner. I try to explain to my Smith that no one is going to see whether she has her nail polish on or not because she stays in the holster. She told me if I was a real man and proud of her looks I would open carry in a slide holster. :D

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Sometimes, but only if we are going out somewhere nice to dinner. I try to explain to my Smith that no one is going to see whether she has her nail polish on or not because she stays in the holster. She told me if I was a real man and proud of her looks I would open carry in a slide holster. :D
    What :dunno:

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Is there much interest in flintlocks?
    The only muzzleloaders I have are flintlock. I have two longrifles and a Bess.

The lonrifles are .36 and .50 caliber and the Bess is .75. The rifles have 44 inch Colerain swamped barrels and the Bess has a 46 inch Gets or Colerain (cannot remember which, the bore is .750).

Vernon

Flinttim

Marksman
    Jul 2, 2011
    Yep, just done a head count. Of 15 muzzleloaders, 13 are flintlock. The two odd ducks are a over and under trap shotgun (m/loader) and a T/C Renegade I bought right to flip.Maybe that's why I'm Flinttim.LOL.

meyer4589

Expert
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Just a heads up, there is a living history show this weekend at the Kalamazoo county fair grounds in Michigan. If you are looking for hard to find black powder stuff or custom made flintlocks this is the place to go. Admission is $7.

Fullmag

Master
    Sep 4, 2011
    A Friend on mine bought a couple of Ruger Old Army's. The serial numbers are 18 digits apart and the guns look much different. Anybody know anything about them.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Not sure if this should go here on not, but I got my 1st blackpowder rifle this weekend. I bought a CVA buckhorn on clearance at Walmart in Lebanon. It was half price so I couldn't pass it up. I have always wanted to hunt the late season with something that could reach out farther than a bow. So I am now part of the club. It was black so I had to camo it up of course. I have a Nikon Omega Scope picked out and can't wait to shoot it. Now I need to see what bullets it likes and figure out a good deer load.

here is a pic:
    picture.php

finity

Master
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Not sure if this should go here on not, but I got my 1st blackpowder rifle this weekend. I bought a CVA buckhorn on clearance at Walmart in Lebanon. It was half price so I couldn't pass it up. I have always wanted to hunt the late season with something that could reach out farther than a bow. So I am now part of the club. It was black so I had to camo it up of course. I have a Nikon Omega Scope picked out and can't wait to shoot it. Now I need to see what bullets it likes and figure out a good deer load.

here is a pic:
    picture.php

My first muzzleloader was a CVA Buckhorn. I hunted with it for a year or two then upgtaded to an Omega. It is a pretty good gun for the money. My son still hunts with it.

Mine shot good with 90grains of triple 7 & power belts. The power belts got kind of expensive & I switched to Buffalo Ball-ettes. It never gave me any problems.

The only complaints I had were the really stiff trigger & the open bolt area. I made a cover out of heavy oiled leather to keep the rain/snow out of it. I don't know if it was necessary but it made me feel better about it.

Rev

Plinker
    Apr 2, 2012
    IS THERE any other BP rifle beside a flintlock ? I always thought BP came out of a horn not out of a tube!! love the smell of goex, love the rock

speakerman

Plinker
    Mar 24, 2012
    why would you hunt with a flint lock, it's like rolling dice . . . and the odds are not in your favor, nor can you dependable put the animal down with a second shot. Flint lock and a real muzzleloader combo?

Top Bottom