• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • uncmrkhd

Plinker
    Aug 1, 2011
    How bout some more info about a BP club in Kouts, Just got a 50cal Hawkins and got lots of questions. Going to Michigan city to shoot this coming week end . BP shoot the first sunday of every month $2 to register and $1 for practice target, Theres more to it too but any one can play for $3

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    The difference between the Indiana BP shoot and Friendship is for Indiana not Friendship (national). There is NO state group or organization for BP in Indiana.
    My goal is for the inclusion of in-lines. I don't shoot them but to have that available. Chunk guns would most likely NOT be included as to range length (600-1000 meters)
    There is also a yearly shoot in Kentucky with an Indiana Flintlock team (didn't know that did you all:thumbsup:). I have heard from many who have gone that we get our butts handed to us every year. There are also people from Pennsylvania (they are REALLY good), Ohio and others that go too.
    I would like it to become a shoot that grows into a State vs. State championship.
    Show them boys that Hoosiers can shoot!:rockwoot:

Just want to find out if there is an interest AND a good Central Indiana location to start with and grow. Need a range with at least a pistol range 25yds, rifle up to 100 yards and maybe a shotgun area.

Cheers, DonK

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Here is a possible shooting plan.
    Pistol-3 sets of 6 shots@25yards one or two handed hold. Traditional or Cap n Ball
    Rifle:
    2 classes:
    Traditional, includes flintlock and/or percussion
    Inline, any
    open sights (no scopes)(peep sights, maybe...)
    Off hand shooting (non supported)
    5 shots@ 25yds, 50yds and 100yds, one novelty shoot
    Shotgun, not sure at moment......

NMLRA rules for shooting

Prizes for 1-5 place

Thoughts, ideas, ???

Cheers, DonK

Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    msuspartan -- Are you talking all BP or ML only (you post reads like ML only). Please remember that BP includes a lot of different guns (US Army was still shooting BP during the Spanish-American War of 1898). I shoot CAS (CnB pistols, 1866 Winchester in 45 Colt & SxS shotgun) with BP & BP cartridges/shotshells.

If you're going to call it a BP shoot, then need to include everything; if not, call it a ML shoot.

Just my 2-cents, Grizhicks

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Yes it would would be muzzle loaders. Never heard BP referred to anything BUT ML. I shoot CnB too but that is a front stuffer too.
    Have no plans for a cartridge shoot.
    Thanks for clarifying tho".

Cheers, DonK

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Or you could just have a shoot where you could bring everything black powder from cannons & gatling guns to flintlock pistols and just have a (dare I say it) a blast.. Great way to see the 100s of years of weapons technology.. Other then the last 110+ years of that new-fangled smokeless stuff..

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    I shoot BP only in my Cowboy cartridge guns in .45 Colt and .44-40. Also reload brass 12 guage shotshells. :draw:

Been known to load up come .45ACP with Goex ffG for my 1911. Gets some interesting looks. :rockwoot:

BP doesn't mean just front-stuffers!

ol' poke

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    I shoot BP only in my Cowboy cartridge guns in .45 Colt and .44-40. Also reload brass 12 guage shotshells. :draw:

Been known to load up come .45ACP with Goex ffG for my 1911. Gets some interesting looks. :rockwoot:

BP doesn't mean just front-stuffers!

ol' poke

I do have a 44-40 henry clone that I ever so often threaten to shoot black powder shells through it.. The visual as they go off is outstanding. But have never done it because I am lazy and do not want to break her down and CLean her after the black powder. But saw a line of guys poppng off BP shells and it is just a spectacular sight.. I believe in the 1st week in November they will have a gatling gun shoot in the Lancaster PA Area they usually have a few true clones. But there are several Originals.. It is a nice sight..

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Yes I have heard of a bp cartridge but that is a different era and more in tune with modern rifles/pistols.
    A cannon shoot off would be really cool but not sure how many ranges have the capability to do that.

thecollector

Plinker
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    I am in NWI and looking for some 4F black powder for my flintlock, if anyone has any in the area and wants to part with it let me know. I don't need a full pound, partial will be fine, just for the flash pan.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    smokepole shooter

yes i think a blackpoeder forum would be good, there is a lot of dynamics in bullet weights powder versus pyrodex ect to warrant a forum. i ve been shooting black powder for 35 plus years . any one ever attempt to build a rifle from scratch too????

Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm looking for a slow twist kentucky rifle kit and I want something that's better than the CVA kit but I can't seem to find something high quality that isn't fast twist or that compromise 1:48 twist. I have checked Pedersoli and no dice. I really want a classic 1:60 to 1:70 twist for using roundballs only. Any tips?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm looking for a slow twist kentucky rifle kit and I want something that's better than the CVA kit but I can't seem to find something high quality that isn't fast twist or that compromise 1:48 twist. I have checked Pedersoli and no dice. I really want a classic 1:60 to 1:70 twist for using roundballs only. Any tips?

Depending on your budget, you may want to have a look at TVM. These kits are probably the best value available when you look at the quality of the parts and the amount of work done.

I hope this helps.

Vernon

Flinttim

Marksman
    Jul 2, 2011
    Price and caliber will determine what you find. A 40 cal might be a 1-56 for instance .You said high quality and quite frankly that means $$$. Prices will start at about $600 min IMO.

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Tim,
    TVM is a great one also Sitting Fox has nice kits too. All kits will need some degree of building competency and tools as some inletting, fitting etc are needed.
    Track of the Wolf has kits but all I have heard is the difficulty of their kits and a lot of needed work. They do have nice used guns too.
    I am apprenticed to a builder and I thought I had good building skills, gun building though is a whole new realm!!! I am rebuilding/redoing a Traditions 'Pennsylvania' and just from what I have done, it does not even look like the original.
    If money is not a huge object, look at Connor Priarie during the Fall. They have a week gun building class using the Jim Chambers kit. Excellent kits and class from all I have heard.
    Good luck and look forward to seeing your rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom