Black man shot in Kenosha, riots starting all over again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I'm proud to say I dont use drugs (well ibuprofen or if a doctor puts me on it I do)

But for the record I know there are alot of people that smoke pot and likely some in here that do and I in no way look down or judge someone that drinks or smokes pot.. its just not my thing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The cops said he said it. No body cams. I'm not going to take their word when they have potential liability.

Perhaps other witnesses support that he said it. I haven't seen that testimony at this point.

As to how he got into the house....that would require the release of evidence. That hasn't happened yet. And we have no statement from Blake's side.

But, you know that, don't you?

I've seen video/still images of him with the knife.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What has that to do with the point? Regardless of what he did prior, if he complies, the odds are heavily in his favor that he could still walk today. He might still be in jail, but he'd be walking.

Does it matter whether or not he assaulted her that day? He was in the act of violating a protective order resulting from a prior sexual assault. The very act of violating the protective order inherently presumes dangerous intent on his part. That's sort of why protective orders exist.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Rochester is a difficult one to rally around. Probably the only negative for the LEO's is the pic in the NYTimes of one of the cops (the blond guy) smiling as the hood is put on the guy sitting cuffed in the street.

It's a PCP case and early Covid. Hard to get the lords of chaos excited over that one.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Should Reagan have reimbursed the Japanese or not?

Irrelevant.

A. This is a specific group of identified persons who have a specific damage/loss claim
    B. There still remains the hurdle of demonstrating that said internment either made or kept poor those who were interred.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OK. Enough of Japanese internment. Back on track or this gets closed.

:popcorn:

Sorry, hadn't gotten to this post yet. Will cease.

(The analogy and underlying debate are germane, but only tangentially so - and should probably have a separate thread if they are worth discussing further.)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've seen video/still images of him with the knife.

It appears to be a hawkbill knife...but it's not clear enough to really identify. It could be something else.

If a knife:

1) It doesn't appear to be in the same hand as he opens the door.
    2) The DA says the knife was on the floor of the car. So, was it in his hand and he dropped it on the floor, or was it not in his hand as he entered the car?
    3) Was it in his hand when he was tased? Did the officer involved in the scuffle during the tasing receive a knife wound? Why not? I've never known anyone who walks away from a knife fight without bleeding at least a little.

So, perhaps you see why a foto of the knife might assuage some doubt about whether one exists at all.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am not going to post names of people I know.

It definitely hit her family hard forced to sell their property for pennies on the dollar.

I think that meets point 3.

If the government took your house and put you into camp where your income went down significantly so that you had to sell everything you had at pennies on the dollar would that meet your rigorous demands?

1. Specific person(s) interred
    2. Specific damages/losses for identified person(s)
    3. Proof that damages/losses caused identified person(s) to become and/or to remain poor

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    From the link:

"A medical examiner concluded that Prude’s death was a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.” The report lists excited delirium and acute intoxication by phencyclidine, or PCP, as contributing factors."

again.gif

Is this the one where the guy died from asphyxiation a full week after he was restrained?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I am not going to post names of people I know.

It definitely hit her family hard forced to sell their property for pennies on the dollar.

I think that meets point 3.

If the government took your house and put you into camp where your income went down significantly so that you had to sell everything you had at pennies on the dollar would that meet your rigorous demands?

I would say that it meets point 2, certainly; and that family sounds like they would have legitimate grounds to sue for restitution.

But did it make them poor? Did that family not recover? Were they not able to work their way back to a reasonable (or even a desirable) level of prosperity?

Perhaps you and I view "poor" differently. To me, to be made poor is more than a momentary loss (even to the point of bankruptcy), but rather to be put in a position not to be able to pursue financial liberty and happiness. I take this view, particularly with respect to the general claim that the Black community is generationally impoverished due directly (and perhaps solely) to the actions of government.

There is almost no single person who is in that position (I might make an exception for Indian reservations). Everyone has choices - even if those choices are fewer and more difficult for some than for others.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm proud to say I dont use drugs (well ibuprofen or if a doctor puts me on it I do)

But for the record I know there are alot of people that smoke pot and likely some in here that do and I in no way look down or judge someone that drinks or smokes pot.. its just not my thing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Weed is not PCP :rofl:

Also, because you're looking it from community standpoints... The weed community is definitely not the hard drug community.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It appears to be a hawkbill knife...but it's not clear enough to really identify. It could be something else.

If a knife:

1) It doesn't appear to be in the same hand as he opens the door.
    2) The DA says the knife was on the floor of the car. So, was it in his hand and he dropped it on the floor, or was it not in his hand as he entered the car?
    3) Was it in his hand when he was tased? Did the officer involved in the scuffle during the tasing receive a knife wound? Why not? I've never known anyone who walks away from a knife fight without bleeding at least a little.

So, perhaps you see why a foto of the knife might assuage some doubt about whether one exists at all.

Have you seen a photo of the 'silencer' allegedly used by the Myrtle Beach shooter yet? Why would you expect police evidence to be revealed to the media prior to post-trial?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I do think we have a differing definition of poor. I think if your net worth is $1,000,000 and the government makes your net worth $1,000, you meet my definition of poor.

It's taken me several several years to accumulate retirement money. If you are middle aged its a lot harder to return to square one and start over then when you are 20. Gets even tougher over 50.

The effect ofcompounding interest comes into play.

I started off poor and have made it into the middle class. I don't feel anyone owes me anything. But if the government came today and took me to an internment camp and relieved me of my belongings, then yeah they made me poor and would feel I was owed something. If it caused my kids to suffer then yeah I would think they were owed something. Not a make whole payment that I would want but something, by the time I get to grandkids I dunno.

What I do believe is that the idea payment is only to to survivors years after the event occurred doesn't take into account the total damage done.

The Tuskegee experiment would fit that.

The Civil Rights Acts for all came about only what mid late 60s?

There are still kids and grandkids that were affected by that, being able to pursue financial liberty and happiness to the same degree as white folks. Are they owed millions? no. A college education at a state school and a $10000 down payment on a house or something? Maybe something less. Maybe less maybe more. Failure to discuss? A mistake.

I would say that it meets point 2, certainly; and that family sounds like they would have legitimate grounds to sue for restitution.

But did it make them poor? Did that family not recover? Were they not able to work their way back to a reasonable (or even a desirable) level of prosperity?

Perhaps you and I view "poor" differently. To me, to be made poor is more than a momentary loss (even to the point of bankruptcy), but rather to be put in a position not to be able to pursue financial liberty and happiness. I take this view, particularly with respect to the general claim that the Black community is generationally impoverished due directly (and perhaps solely) to the actions of government.

There is almost no single person who is in that position (I might make an exception for Indian reservations). Everyone has choices - even if those choices are fewer and more difficult for some than for others.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do think we have a differing definition of poor. I think if your net worth is $1,000,000 and the government makes your net worth $1,000, you meet my definition of poor.

It's taken me several several years to accumulate retirement money. If you are middle aged its a lot harder to return to square one and start over then when you are 20. Gets even tougher over 50.

I started off poor and have made it into the middle class. I don't feel anyone owes me anything. But if the government came today and took me to an internment camp and relieved me of my belongings, then yeah they made me poor and would feel I was owed something. If it caused my kids to suffer then yeah I would think they were owed something. Not a make whole payment that I would want but something, by the time I get to grandkids I dunno.

What I do believe is that the idea payment is only to to survivors years after the event occurred doesn't take into account the total damage done.

There are still kids and grandkids that were affected by that, being able to pursue financial liberty and happiness to the same degree as white folks. Are they owed millions? no. A college education at a state school and a $10000 down payment on a house or something? Maybe something less. Maybe less maybe more. Failure to discuss? A mistake.

40 acres and a mule?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I think discussing the impact of a victim of WWII internment camps compounds the issue, when what we're really discussing is the alleged "systemic racism" (or other, similar descriptors) that have allegedly had disparate impact on the Black community, making/keeping them poor in some universal/widespread/systemic manner.

Your example can arguably/reasonably fit all three prongs of my test, and no real debate about the meaning of "poor" is really even needed. The same is not true when discussing The System allegedly oppressing the Black community.

Top Bottom