• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Great find. I have met many a fellow gun owner who just so happens to be darker skinned than myself while oc king on lunch. Most I have met initiate the convo by asking me about Oct and legality of doing so. They have their ltch and usually lift their shirt to expose their edc ad some point in the convo. They just want to keep their family and selves as safe as possible. I direct them to ingo for more information. I am always happy to meet a fellow sheepdog regardless of demographic. I can see where this article comes from. When most people think gun owner, they think of hill billy hunter, (please do not take this the wrong way), they do not think of que.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I live here (Indiana) but work in Kentucky. This weekend, I'm legally transferring two firearms to two of my coworkers through an FFL because Louisville's west end is a war zone, and know that they are just regular guys who just want a fighting chance.
    I also do not intend to equip them with substandard gear. One is getting a CZ 75 P0-7, the other a Taurus PT92AF.
    These men would stand with me, regardless of race, in the face of adversity. Why on earth would I not want them to be immaculately armed?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I don't care if your white, black, blue, pink or purple, EVERY decent american should have the right to own a firearm and protect their family without being berated by anyone.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    You know you're an INGOer if you had to open the link to figure out if this was "black" gun owners or "black gun" owners. :):

I opened it thinking it was going to be about AR owners, boy was I wrong. It was a good read and I would have to agree with the point that the matriarch of the family is the one who does not want the gun in the house. I was at Wally World one day, and the cashier was an 18 year old, black male who wanted to be an officer. He spotted me OCing and we talked about the legalities of carrying and how to get the LTCH. He said his mother said that she did not want him to get a gun because it wasn't "coming in my house." His dad was fine with it and was encouraging him to do so, but his mother meant too much to him to disobey her. I hope he got it.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Glad you guys liked the read. Hoped that such a post wouldn't come off as patronizing. I am always interested in what it is like for other people (race, sex, age irrelevant) who came in to the world of gun ownership on their own...not through an upbringing where guns were commonplace, and I could empathize even if only in a small way for the story of the guy being harped on by his family simply for exercising his rights.

Novocaine.223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Indy
    I am a black gun owner, the only slack i get from people (Mom, Dad and Big Brother ) that i cc and not oc they fear that i could mistakenly get shot, or harass by cops.

In the black community many blacks just dont know their rights to carry and ownership, you should have seen their faces when i finnish building my Ar-15 and i did a show in-tell to the family. They didn't know you can own such a thing. It was a priceless Kodak moment.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    In the black community many blacks just dont know their rights to carry and ownership, you should have seen their faces when i finnish building my Ar-15 and i did a show in-tell to the family. They didn't know you can own such a thing. It was a priceless Kodak moment.

Haha...it reminds me of when two different men (one being my Dad) heard of my buying a pistol. One asked if it was a .22, and other choice reactions were: "A .40?!", "Is she gonna be able to shoot that thing?", and last but not least, "What's a Glock?".

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    There is a book out there titled something like Black Man with a Gun... I don't know if this gentleman wrote it or not .....

I would guess so, he has a podcast out called Black Man with a Gun and the Urban Shooter Podcast as well. I know that he is frequently talked about on the channels of the Gun Rights Radio Network as well as by Emily Miller (writer for the Washington Post)

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Was expecting an AR thread but since I'm here....
    Good read, as a black gun owner and avid OCer I've never really received any negative feedback from my family, we all have guns, I'm just the only one who chooses to carry mine. No one really even notices or comments about it, well aside from my mother who told me to be careful carrying in Carmel. She believes that every LEO in this city is racist:dunno:... If they are, then they hide it very well since all the ones I've encountered have been nothing but courteous and professional. After taking the time to learn my rights I don't really worry about getting stopped or hassled, I know it can happen but I'm not going to stop OCing or carrying in general because of a possibility.

The general feedback I get from the public is pretty much the same as a white OCer would receive. No one panics or runs away, there is not a SWAT team waiting for my outside of Wally world upon exit responding to a BMWAG call, and lots of people ask me if I'm a cop, or tell me that they didn't know OC was legal...Who knows, it could be because I don't dress like a "thug" :D

I have only seen one other Non white OC and he happened to be trying to sell drugs at a gas station:rolleyes:, so I could see why his mother or family would be worried about him making it back home.

:ingo:This site has been very informative and welcoming, when a friend suggested it to me, I half expected to see the same hate-filled and racist remarks that seem to thrive pretty much everywhere on the internet, but that is far from the case. Thanks Mods and members who keep that nonsense out of INGO and make this a comfortable place for everyone to visit for an opportunity to discuss and learn about everyone's favorite subject :ingo:

Last edited:

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I don't care if your white, black, blue, pink or purple, EVERY decent american should have the right to own a firearm and protect their family without being berated by anyone.

I do agree with this statement, but the general public does not. As a black gun owner I see more disgusted looks when I open carry. It almost seems like everyone just thinks your a thug. I am new to this site and I have had the New Albany PD stop me twice coming out of Wal-Mart and question me. I am far from a racist as far as I know everyone lost thier color when I joined the Army, but I can honestly say black law abiding citizens will face more scrutiny when carrying almost any other race due to sterotypes.

IMO of course.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I do agree with this statement, but the general public does not. As a black gun owner I see more disgusted looks when I open carry. It almost seems like everyone just thinks your a thug. I am new to this site and I have had the New Albany PD stop me twice coming out of Wal-Mart and question me. I am far from a racist as far as I know everyone lost thier color when I joined the Army, but I can honestly say black law abiding citizens will face more scrutiny when carrying almost any other race due to sterotypes.

IMO of course.

This post is at the complete polar opposite of the spectrum from my above post, sorry that your OC experience hasn't been as positive as my own and hope that in time things will improve.

Welcome to INGO :welcome:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

IMO of course.

This post is at the complete polar opposite of the spectrum from my above post, sorry that your OC experience hasn't been as positive as my own and hope that in time things will improve.

Welcome to INGO :welcome:

I would assume to that a lot of it has to do with the areas one freguents...:dunno:

One might get more or less scrutiny in certain geographic locations depending on demographics.. :dunno:

Sad that people have to put up with that today though

Top Bottom