• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I first read the article a week or two ago. After which I shared it with my black friends on FB to see what they thought. Most of them do not carry although they have guns. I thought it to be a good read in general. I know everyone suffers from stereotyping to varying degrees, but it never really occurred to me how much additional scrutiny one might face from friends or family just from cultural differences.

It's every gun owners' responsibility to help educate people no matter what the race, religion, etc. they come from. With appropriate firearms education you can turn "enemies" into "allies" in the war on our 2nd amendment rights. Simply carry, protect yourself, be friendly, be responsible, and help protect all of our rights...:twocents:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I am a black gun owner, the only slack i get from people (Mom, Dad and Big Brother ) that i cc and not oc they fear that i could mistakenly get shot, or harass by cops.

In the black community many blacks just dont know their rights to carry and ownership, you should have seen their faces when i finnish building my Ar-15 and i did a show in-tell to the family. They didn't know you can own such a thing. It was a priceless Kodak moment.

Lack of awareness (2A) isn't the sole domain of the "black" community. People of all skin tones are lacking in this area.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Just caught this article on my feed. It's from 10/24. Sorry if it's a re-post, but I thought it was a good read.

Black Gun Owners: Rock and a Hard Place | The Daily Caller

Seems like his problem wasn't so much in the legal sense (what I was expecting) but in the approval among his family sense.

Most civilians are hypocrites. As soon as one of them are robbed, attacked, whatever... I'll bet the first thing they say is, "I wish Phil were there."

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Gun owners in America have a gun culture that is passed down to their children since the Revolutionary War. Blacks had no such tradition to pass down coming out of the South. Add to that the fact that most black people live in the city today, where there is less ability to plink, or hunt, and it explains even better why fewer blacks own guns.

Responsible gun ownership needs taught to all children (I'd require it in grade school if I could).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Gun owners in America have a gun culture that is passed down to their children since the Revolutionary War. Blacks had no such tradition to pass down coming out of the South. Add to that the fact that most black people live in the city today, where there is less ability to plink, or hunt, and it explains even better why fewer blacks own guns.

Responsible gun ownership needs taught to all children (I'd require it in grade school if I could).

C'mon dude, where are you getting this stuff? Black people coming out of the south before, during, and after the Great Migrations, had a very big gun tradition. Many blacks would feed themslves by hunting/growing their own food, rather than undergo the harassment/humiliation of second class citizenry, and shopping at a store. Once they arrived in the "big" city, blacks had their own communities that would serve them without all the "red tape." Not much need for firearms.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, if you have a black friend with a new FN FAL, is he a black black gun owner? I just ask, because its going to come up next weekend.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    :ingo:This site has been very informative and welcoming, when a friend suggested it to me, I half expected to see the same hate-filled and racist remarks that seem to thrive pretty much everywhere on the internet, but that is far from the case. Thanks Mods and members who keep that nonsense out of INGO and make this a comfortable place for everyone to visit for an opportunity to discuss and learn about everyone's favorite subject :ingo:

You will catch a lot more grief on INGO for being an OCer than for any other reason. If I had to read any of the other crap you mentioned, I would not be here.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    You will catch a lot more grief on INGO for being an OCer than for any other reason. If I had to read any of the other crap you mentioned, I would not be here.
    Yeah, I choose to dodge the OC/CC debate whenever I can, it's the unkillable zombie of ingo

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    C'mon dude, where are you getting this stuff? Black people coming out of the south before, during, and after the Great Migrations, had a very big gun tradition. Many blacks would feed themslves by hunting/growing their own food, rather than undergo the harassment/humiliation of second class citizenry, and shopping at a store. Once they arrived in the "big" city, blacks had their own communities that would serve them without all the "red tape." Not much need for firearms.

I'm sure this is true for some. As I understand it, laws were passed preventing blacks from owning guns, especially in Southern states.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is a book out there titled something like Black Man with a Gun... I don't know if this gentleman wrote it or not .....

It's "Negro with a gun" and the gentleman who wrote it is living in exile in Cuba (although he may have passed away by now.) He left in the 60's because he felt that he wasn't getting a fair shake here (he wasn't) and from what I understand he was wanting to come back to the US but whether for health reasons or something else he was unable to return.

He took the name of the book from a Democrat Party poll watcher in one of the Carolina's (I believe, though it may have been Virginia). He and some other blacks were heading to the polls to vote (armed I might add) and he overheard this elderly poll watcher turn to his friend and say something along the lines of "Lordy be...A Negro with a gun..It's all over now" and this sad look of despair. The author of the book was so struck with the sadness and despair in the mans tone that he chose that for the title of his book. I am trying to type this from memory so my facts may be off but that was the gist of the argument.

My bad...The title was "Negroes with Guns." and here is the wikipedia link...He went to Cuba in 1961 to avoid a kidnapping charge (bogus it appears.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Williams

Top Bottom