Bizarre LEO ND leads to death of suspect.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Tragic Case of ND:

Driver Accidentally Killed By Lebanon Officer

McKinley and Officer Mitch McDannald arrived at the crash scene.
    After Thompson wrecked, McKinley approached the driver's side of his car and tried to remove Thompson from the vehicle, Lebanon police commissioner Billy Weeks said.

With a weapon drawn, police said, McKinley went into the ditch toward the car, slipped and accidentally discharged his weapon.

McDannald said he saw McKinley hit the ground and the gun discharge and thought Thompson had shot McKinley. McDannald then returned fire and shot Thompson multiple times, killing him. Neighbors said they awoke when they heard about 15 gunshots.

Almost like a friendly fire case, but not really. So, in this case, even though the first round went into the ground safely, it started a course of action for the following 15.

Be careful out there. Even if your ND is controlled, you have no idea what it could start around you.

Prayers to all involved.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lesson learned: there's a price to pay for the newfangled ninjy notion of keeping your finger on the trigger. Too bad something else had to pay the freight on that.

"How many times have you fallen down and then think about how many gunfights you've been in. Get your FINGER off the TRIGGER." Clint Smith.

This is shocking to me as I have been in gun school class with Lebanon PD for many years now.

Must be more to this and I know the media does not always get it right.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Not knowing too many facts, it does sound like the shooting could've been averted with some better situational awareness.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    A Wilson County man was fatally shot and killed by police after an officer believed the driver had shot at pursuing officers. Lebanon Officer David McKinley said the pursuit began after the driver, Gregory Thompson, 22, nearly hit his vehicle head-on along the Highway 70 bypass.

Definitely a sad story all the way around.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I guess that is just another reason not to run from the cops. when they do catch up with you..and they probably will...They will have guns drawn, and aimed at you. Still, though, this is truly tragic. I'm glad i'm not the officer who mistakenly shot the young man. I can't begin to imagine how he must feel! He'll be living and reliving this incident for the rest of his life.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Something isn't right with this, I am sure Sheriff Ken would have his officers top notch trained, I find it hard to believe he would have his finger on the trigger...

Almost makes me think the guy went for something and the officer made something up. Truth is we will never know what really happened.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Lesson learned: there's a price to pay for the newfangled ninjy notion of keeping your finger on the trigger. Too bad something else had to pay the freight on that.

"How many times have you fallen down and then think about how many gunfights you've been in. Get your FINGER off the TRIGGER." Clint Smith.

This is shocking to me as I have been in gun school class with Lebanon PD for many years now.

In Lebanon, Tennesee,

LEBANON, Tenn. -- A Wilson County man was fatally shot and killed by police after an officer believed the driver had shot at pursuing officers....

...where this took place? Just curious...

Must be more to this and I know the media hardly ever gets it right.

Fixed it for ya...;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Something isn't right with this, I am sure Sheriff Ken would have his officers top notch trained, I find it hard to believe he would have his finger on the trigger...

Maybe it is the fact that this was in Lebanon, Tennessee...

LEBANON, Tenn. -- A Wilson County man was fatally shot and killed by police after an officer believed the driver had shot at pursuing officers.

...not Lebanon, Indiana. :dunno: :n00b:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'm a former LEO. Think about that before beginning a flame war.

On the surface this doesn't sound like an accident. It sounds like gross negligence leading to a homicide. One guy slides down the ditch, pops a round, and the other comes over the hill and empties a mag into an immobilized, unarmed, formerly fleeing suspect? Seriously?

Where's the situational awareness training? Where's the communication between officers? Where's the training to keep your finger away from the button? Something just doesn't pass the smell test here.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman

Originally Posted by The Dog

In Lebanon, Tennesee,

Yes, I have been in gun skul with officers from Lebanon, Tennessee.

I mean my parole officer does let me out of the state, dog.:D

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My bad, I "figured" this was Lebanon, IN since this is a Indiana web-site. I just can't see Boone Co. sherriff's dept. making this kind of mistake, they are probably the most well trained PD in the state.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    My bad, I "figured" this was Lebanon, IN since this is a Indiana web-site. I just can't see Boone Co. sherriff's dept. making this kind of mistake, they are probably the most well trained PD in the state.

make no mistake, BCSD isn't part of Lebanon Police Department. although the departments have alot of common ground, Lebanon runs their own show. we now know this is lebanon tenn. You're right, sheriff ken teaches the exact opposite of what happend here. lebanon on the other hand, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe. anyhow, this situation sucks for all involved but the lesson to be learned is not to run from the police and when they catch up to you expect the worst, thats common sense.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    prayers goes out to everyone involved in this terrible situation...but i can't imagine what the cop who shot this guy must be going thru....gotta be ruff!

Top Bottom