5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The big rumored expansion is these schools entering the Big Ten

Rutgers
    Syracuse
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    possible Notre Dame (don''t see this happening because of the exclusive football contract. trought 2015 with NBC).

Who really knows what, only the schools and the Big Ten know and we'll find out when the news conferences start popping up, wither way it looks to be a Big Ten feast because the Big Ten already has the largest alumi base with 11 schools and imagine if you start lumping in the above.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I've been following this pretty close the last few weeks (being an A&M grad), and I'd say that's a very low possibility. I've seen similar rumblings several times the last few months. The Big Ten does have a lot to offer, but I'd be beyond amazed if it turned out that way.

Everything I've heard so far sounds like Nebraska is set to announce coming to the Big Ten tomorrow. When they do, the PAC10 (of all places) is set to invite the Horns, Aggies, OSU, OU, and Texas Tech. Colorado has already reportedly accepted a deal to go as well.

The funny thing is the A&M boards are in a meltdown because NOW there's the rumors of an SEC invitation and most A&M fans want to see us go there.

All I can say for sure is it seems like everyone and their dog is "reporting" every last rumor they hear and hoping it sticks so they can seem to have scooped it. :): It does look like the Big XII is heading for the dust bin of college sports history, though.

This is gonna be a weird off-season with all these talks and rumors flying.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    now that nebraska has made a move and colorado is in the pac 10, the next couple of months is going to be crazy with the new alignments. threre might not be a big 12 in a month! and to keep their automatic bcs game, i read the big east and acc might find a way to merge because by the time rutgers and pitt move to the big 10 those two will be small enough.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I would rather see the Big 10 stop at Nebraska UNLESS Notre Dame joins then go to 14 but the Irish like being independent. Regardless....with Kelly I feel the luck of the Irish will be turning for the positive.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nebraska is heading to the Big Ten, there will probably be two more schools invited to make it an even 14 team conference with 2 divisions. I hate that they are looking farther east (Syracuse and Rutger), but they want the East coast money. I'm really not too fond of Nebraska joining, I would have like to have seen the offer go to a closer school with more rivalry ties, definately Pitt and ND fit that bill, or even Iowa State, maybe Missouri.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I agree. Iowa State and Mizzou would have been very nice additions. Neither are big money though. It's all about the money.

The only thing Nebraska brings to the table is football.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is my post from another board:

I think that if NEB is offered, and joins, my dad just may very well "off" himself.

He is (As I am) a life-long Hoosier. And an avid IU fan. Well, as avid as you can get as a fan and have no desire what-so-ever to attend any athletic events at all.

But he also spent time living in Omaha. He said that, every once in a while, he'd bar-hop with some of his buddies on football-season Saturdays. He said that the NEB fans he'd encounter in the bars were some of the most disgusting people he's ever been around. Not so much in their dress or whatnot, but in their complete total 100% reverence and worship for all things NEB.

Having said that...

I think that NEB is a "good fit" for the Big 10. As is Missouri. As is Notre Dame. (at least the Notre Dame of the last 15 years). I'm not knowledgeable at all about Iowa State nor Kansas, but I think those would be "good fits" for the Big 10 as well. Heck, the University of Kentucky would be a good fit!

Nothing farther East than Penn State would work, I don't think. PSU would fight like mad to keep Pitt out, Rutgers is just TOO far east.

Also, if you think about it, none of the Big 10 schools are in "big cities", having "big city" schools just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the conference; and I think they're right.

-J-

ETA: About Notre Dame - They stand to lose too much money from all manner of sources should they join a conference. Now, when their NBC TV contract is about up...different ball game, so to speak.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'll also say that UT would be the worst possible choice. The Big Ten wants an athletic program that will COMPETE, not dominate and decimate.

Dare I say that UT wouldn't want to come to the Big 10 for that very reason; not enough competition.

And it's just not football, either. They're good at a LOT of sports.

Also one of the top public universities in the country in terms of academics, too. Academically, they'd fit right in.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    it would be very ugly in the big ten for awhile. no one there can compete with UT.

Ohio State manged to do pretty well two years ago, yeah they lost but the Big 10 is no weaker than the Big 12.

Nebraska is heading to the Big Ten, there will probably be two more schools invited to make it an even 14 team conference with 2 divisions. I hate that they are looking farther east (Syracuse and Rutger), but they want the East coast money. I'm really not too fond of Nebraska joining, I would have like to have seen the offer go to a closer school with more rivalry ties, definately Pitt and ND fit that bill, or even Iowa State, maybe Missouri.

Nebraska brings something that Pitt, Iowa State, and Missouri couldnt touch. Fan support and money. Only ND would have the edge on Nebraska of the teams who are getting legit consideration to join the Big 10.

I just dont see Texas or A&M joining the Big 10, they are going to the Pac 10 with Colorado and the 4 other Big 12 teams. Oklahoma, Okie State, Texas, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Texas Tech all going Pac 10 imo.

If the Big 10 decides to add more teams aside from Notre Dame who wont go anyway, I hope Kansas is one of those teams, it would be huge in Basketball but I believe Kansas wont go without Kansas State and they bring nothing.

This is my post from another board:

I think that if NEB is offered, and joins, my dad just may very well "off" himself.

He is (As I am) a life-long Hoosier. And an avid IU fan. Well, as avid as you can get as a fan and have no desire what-so-ever to attend any athletic events at all.

But he also spent time living in Omaha. He said that, every once in a while, he'd bar-hop with some of his buddies on football-season Saturdays. He said that the NEB fans he'd encounter in the bars were some of the most disgusting people he's ever been around. Not so much in their dress or whatnot, but in their complete total 100% reverence and worship for all things NEB.

Having said that...

I think that NEB is a "good fit" for the Big 10. As is Missouri. As is Notre Dame. (at least the Notre Dame of the last 15 years). I'm not knowledgeable at all about Iowa State nor Kansas, but I think those would be "good fits" for the Big 10 as well. Heck, the University of Kentucky would be a good fit!

Nothing farther East than Penn State would work, I don't think. PSU would fight like mad to keep Pitt out, Rutgers is just TOO far east.

Also, if you think about it, none of the Big 10 schools are in "big cities", having "big city" schools just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the conference; and I think they're right.

-J-

ETA: About Notre Dame - They stand to lose too much money from all manner of sources should they join a conference. Now, when their NBC TV contract is about up...different ball game, so to speak.

Better hide his guns as of today it will be a done deal. But Im not sure IU fans should be able to judge what other fan bases are good or bad. Have you heard some of the stuff they chant at the IU basketball games? That is a classy bunch for sure. :)

btw Notre Dames contract isnt up until 2015.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't see any "big city" east-coast school, like Rutgers or Maryland being in the Big 10.

They just don't "fit" the mold, so to speak.

Those two, plus Syracuse and Penn, too, are geographically too far away from the majority of the other schools in conference.

Nebraska makes sense geographically, academically, AND demographically. As do Missouri and Iowa State.

What Syr, Rutgers, and Maryland all have going for them is that they also all belong to the Assn. of American Universities, of which all current Big 10 schools belong.

I'd argue Pittsburgh over Syracuse, Rutgers, and Maryland. Pitt doesn't "fit the mold", though, demographically. Pitt is viewed as a "Big City School", even though Pittsburgh is smaller than Madison, WI.

But I think that Penn State would throw a hissy fit. Just like they would if Penn were invited. PSU wants to be THE Big 10 school in Pennsylvania.

I'd also submit Vanderbilt as a contender, even though the Commodores haven't been talked about at all, but they fit the same mold that Pitt does.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    I like the idea of Iowa State, but that is one name I never hear mentioned. I think the driving force behind which schools are added will be which ones can bring the most money into the conference.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom