• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    You better believe it's money and that's why the Big XII is about to fold... the TV contract we had was abysmal compared to the Big Ten and SEC and there's no revenue sharing. I also wouldn't be surprised if Texas is licking their chops at being able to start playing a Pac 10 schedule just as USC's scholarship penalties are really starting to hurt them.

As far as competitiveness, don't sell the Big Ten short! Texas is flush with talent right now, but I have to think OSU and a revived UM could tangle fairly well with them. I would bet would wager on a few other take-downs as well (UW for instance). Hell, we did it twice with Franchione at the helm and he's regarded as one of our worst coaches in recent memory.

I heard the same thing about Mizzou that y'all mentioned.... and from an Aggie's perspective we can't help but notice the extreme irony that they were one of the noisiest about the Big Ten talk early on, and now they may be left out in the cold. They are indeed very very worried as they could find themselves as homeless as Baylor.

It's interesting that everyone I've been reading said Nebraska would announce this morning, but that hasn't happened yet.... and today I'm also reading that the SEC is pushing hard for A&M and OU (Texas reportedly has zero interest in the SEC route). And then you have Texas trying to play all kinds of hard ball with us regarding going with them or going our own way. And the more they try it, the more the alumns want to tell them to stuff it and go the SEC route.

And you're absolutely right that Iowa State, Kansas State, and basketball powerhouse Kansas aren't even being mentioned in ANY of the rumor mongering going on. Very weird.

I swear... this is probably the most interesting off season I can remember in a while. I just wish it was resolved already. LOL

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like the idea of Iowa State, but that is one name I never hear mentioned. I think the driving force behind which schools are added will be which ones can bring the most money into the conference.

Iowa State really brings nothing to the Big 10. They arent very good in Football, Basketball, Womens Basketball, or even academics (ranked 88th in US News Rankings, which is lower than every current Big 10 member)

They wouldn't even bring any big media markets like Rutgers/Syracuse would.

They bring a good wrestling program and thats about all really.

But the Big 12 commissioner said at his press conference today after Nebraska said it was leaving, that he talked to the Big 10 commissioner and the Big 10 is not interested in any other Big 12 teams at this time, not Texas, not Missouri, etc.

Personally I hope the Big 10 stays with 12 teams, but I guess we will see.

Kansas would be a hot comodity, but from what I have read online is they are a package with Kansas State and much like Iowa State, they are the little brother school in the State and they really dont bring much.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Iowa State really brings nothing to the Big 10. They arent very good in Football, Basketball, Womens Basketball, or even academics (ranked 88th in US News Rankings, which is lower than every current Big 10 member)

They wouldn't even bring any big media markets like Rutgers/Syracuse would.

They bring a good wrestling program and thats about all really.

But the Big 12 commissioner said at his press conference today after Nebraska said it was leaving, that he talked to the Big 10 commissioner and the Big 10 is not interested in any other Big 12 teams at this time, not Texas, not Missouri, etc.

Personally I hope the Big 10 stays with 12 teams, but I guess we will see.

Kansas would be a hot comodity, but from what I have read online is they are a package with Kansas State and much like Iowa State, they are the little brother school in the State and they really dont bring much.
    I realize Iowa State doesn't offer much at the moment, but I think a switch in conferences might help build them up a bit.

I totally agree with staying at twelve. I don't want to see the Big Ten become a super conference because that will lead to all kinds of scheduling problems. I like the old days of playing every team twice during the conference basketball season.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well, I have good news...

I didn't have to hide my dad's revolver from him this weekend. He fared "ok" with the Nebraska news.

He's still disgusted, but I presume that he'll make it...

-J-

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Nebraska is a good pick up for the Big 10. Kansas is the team that has people wondering where they will go since their basketball is so big. Supposedly, the Mountain West is wanting them. Also, who is to say that the Big 12 doesn't stay at 10 teams and get rid of the championship game since it has actually hurt some of their teams in recent history.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    To revive this really old thread.... I hope y'all are ready for football's version of Bobby Knight to join the Big Ten next year. LOL

Those Pelini brothers are going to make Big Ten ball a lot of fun next year, especially if they get on the bad side of the refs again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom