This?

juvenile-great-blue-0427.jpg

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Don't know how big your pond is, but a friend of mine uses tennis balls to keep Geese out of his pool and pond. He just serves a fast serve with his racket at them. Every other day he scoops up the balls off of the surface and puts them in a bucket by the deck.

I am surprised the Jack Russel isn't enough to keep them away.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    My dogs a jack rustle.. she managed to tackle one the other day.. it was awesome
    Lmao! I have 2 jacks. I took them to the park and they saw Canadian geese for the first time, and flipped out. One slipped his collar and ran down the hill towards a herd of them. They all tried to get away but JRT's are fast! He jumped up and tackled a goose out of the air, funniest thing I had ever seen.
    Videos/Pictures, or it didn't happen! :gotpics:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heron and Crane have been known to have a taste for expensive Koi. I'm sure they'd like any other fish just the same, but koi pond fish are too easy.

Destructive as they are, I'm still a big fan of all birds. If possible, you can run a motion sensing sprinkler out where they like to hangout. As soon as they try to land the sprinler goes on and the take off. I've even seen alligator decoys that supposedly work.

WormDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    New York =(
    Heron and Crane have been known to have a taste for expensive Koi. I'm sure they'd like any other fish just the same, but koi pond fish are too easy.

Destructive as they are, I'm still a big fan of all birds. If possible, you can run a motion sensing sprinkler out where they like to hangout. As soon as they try to land the sprinler goes on and the take off. I've even seen alligator decoys that supposedly work.

I cant do that it will go off when I go fishing lol

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    YEs it is illegal,they are protected. They are probably some kind of Herron or sand hill cranes.

S,S,S

Can be hunted legally, you can hear them spring and fall but will be hard to see, they fly in large flocks way up. Unlike a snow goose that flies in flocks of 200k and up.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcmnj0iMjc"]YouTube - Sandhill Crane Hunt 2-3-07[/ame]

The blue Heron usually are in single to pair groups. As everyone else has stated the are a federally protected bird DO NOT SHOOT.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I would suggest some editing to this thread to. Allowing your dog to harass them is also a federal crime and just the kind of thing liberal anti-hunters would be looking for online.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Big birds gotta eat too.I'm pretty sure they wont eat all the fish in your pond.

Oh yes they will!:)

My dad lost an entire pond full of expensive Koi in less than a week while on vacation. Many of the Koi were to big to eat but they killed them trying and many were left floating or drug onto shore.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Super soaker??? That's just my suggestion. Me myself I think they are pretty cool to watch while they fish. But I like birds.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    yep thats exactly it right there

I like 'em. They fish and stalk the banks of the creek at my place all the time.

I collect up all the eggs at nesting time and take them up to Richmond to hatch to help presearve the species and expand their home range they return to when grown. It's all part of the Great Blue Herron reintroduction program funded by grants from the general tax funds at the state and federal level.

Top Bottom