• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WormDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    New York =(
    I got these big ugly gray birds getting in m y pond and eating my fish.... I usually just shoot the ground beside them to scare them off but they just keep coming back... is it legal to shoot these things... I mean all they do is eat the fish and frogs in my pond..

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like you're talking about herons. If they are, and you shoot one, you'll likely go to jail if you get caught. They're protected by the Migratory Bird Act. I do believe the same act applies to cranes, as well. Learn to love 'em.

WormDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    New York =(
    YEs it is illegal,they are protected. They are probably some kind of Herron or sand hill cranes.

S,S,S

what? why would they want to protect those stupid things.. wat is the point in that?? I wanted to see what a 12 gauge slug would do to one too :xmad::noway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    heron.jpg

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Pics would be good, but my guess is that you don't want to get caught shooting in the general direction of them!
    edit: Yea I wouldn't even throw rocks at those birds! ^

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Sometimes the red on Sandhills isn't all that evident, especially from a distance or in flight.
    Sandhill-Crane-11.jpg

Sandhill-Crane-14.jpg

If it flies with its neck tucked in an "S" shape, it's a heron; if it flies with its neck straight out, it's a crane. Either way, they are big, beautiful (in a "throwback to the Jurassic" kind of way) birds and are federally protected. They're not hurting anything by eating a few of "your" fish and frogs; why would you want to hurt them? :dunno:

WormDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    New York =(
    Sometimes the red on Sandhills isn't all that evident, especially from a distance or in flight.
    Sandhill-Crane-11.jpg

Sandhill-Crane-14.jpg

If it flies with its neck tucked in an "S" shape, it's a heron; if it flies with its neck straight out, it's a crane. Either way, they are big, beautiful (in a "throwback to the Jurassic" kind of way) birds and are federally protected. They're not hurting anything by eating a few of "your" fish and frogs; why would you want to hurt them? :dunno:

its a crane then cause they fly with their neck straight... now idk if beautiful is the word I would use for them lol

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    My dogs a jack rustle.. she managed to tackle one the other day.. it was awesome

Lmao! I have 2 jacks. I took them to the park and they saw Canadian geese for the first time, and flipped out. One slipped his collar and ran down the hill towards a herd of them. They all tried to get away but JRT's are fast! He jumped up and tackled a goose out of the air, funniest thing I had ever seen.

Top Bottom