• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    As the title states, I am looking for a bicycle to try to get in shape. The problem is I flatten the tires on the ones they sell at wally world. I am 6'4", 290lbs. I need a better grade bicycle to be ridable and comfortable for me but cannot affort the expensive ones at the bike shop. If you have something that would work for me for a reasonable price PM me. I live in Elwood and work in South Indy so could meet in either area anytime during the day.

If you would prefer ammo over money I could trade 9mm, .45 acp, 7.62x39, .44 special, or some combination. Just let me know.

Before I am asked, the guys who assemble the bikes were there when I was trying them out. They went in the back and aired up tires on several bikes for me. Still did not work.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Darral27 -- While I'm no expert, but at 350, I'm heavier than you and you shouldn't be having that much of a problem. Bike design and quality, should not really matter in pressure on tires. Even a basic mountain bike with 2" tires should work for you, just add more air pressure. I ride a Gaint hybrid, with 26" wheels/tires, that are basic mountian bike 2" tires. But instead of running 40 pounds, I run 55-60 pounds in mine.

Also, from what I've heard, Craiglist is a good place to find used bikes.

Good luck, Greg

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Darral27 -- While I'm no expert, but at 350, I'm heavier than you and you shouldn't be having that much of a problem. Bike design and quality, should not really matter in pressure on tires. Even a basic mountain bike with 2" tires should work for you, just add more air pressure. I ride a Gaint hybrid, with 26" wheels/tires, that are basic mountian bike 2" tires. But instead of running 40 pounds, I run 55-60 pounds in mine.

Also, from what I've heard, Craiglist is a good place to find used bikes.

Good luck, Greg

I really did think along the same lines as what you state. The problem is that even when the guys went back and added pressure the tires would still flatten out. They suggested I buy a bike and buy tubes. It did not make sense to add tubes to a brand new bike. I tried every large sized bike they had and all of them did the same thing. I need to lose weight but suck at dieting and cannot run much due to arthritis in my knees. I am not sure what they brought the pressure to. But I would not want to spend 200 on a bike just to get it home and have it not work for me.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Are the bikes they have tubeless? If so, if would be worth the $$ to add tubes. Since you work in Indy, try some of the bike shops; don't have to buy, but try to see the difference between them & the wally world bikes. The bike shops will be better frames and components, but again, there is not really that much difference in tires.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The tires and tubes that come on discount house bicycles are really junk. Not only will they not support the weight, they loose air pressure really fast. A friend recommended that I go on the Internet and buy quality road bike tires and tubes made by Michelin or some other premium maker. My wife and I have middle grade mountain bikes and the money for good tires and tubes was money well spent. I cannot remember the company I bought from, but all they sell is premium bicycle tires and tubes.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    BGI is having their spring expo and in the past you could haggle on the price because they want to move old stock. My opinion on what you should look for most is something with a spoke count of at least 36 if not 40 spokes. 36 is pretty common. Any quality tire of 700x28mm and up for road/hybrid or any size in the 26-29" mtb tires will be plenty reliable. If you seriously want to take up riding the big box stores are not the place to buy. The bicycle shops will not cost much more for their lower end models, but the quality and level of service will be much better. Feel free to PM any questions because the only thing I like talking about as much as guns/shooting is cycling. I have been a year round commuter for 15+ years.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    BGI is having their spring expo and in the past you could haggle on the price because they want to move old stock. My opinion on what you should look for most is something with a spoke count of at least 36 if not 40 spokes. 36 is pretty common. Any quality tire of 700x28mm and up for road/hybrid or any size in the 26-29" mtb tires will be plenty reliable. If you seriously want to take up riding the big box stores are not the place to buy. The bicycle shops will not cost much more for their lower end models, but the quality and level of service will be much better. Feel free to PM any questions because the only thing I like talking about as much as guns/shooting is cycling. I have been a year round commuter for 15+ years.

^^^ THIS ^^^

The guys at BGI really are helpful and if you plan to put plenty of miles on a bike it won't take long to come out ahead buying from a bike shop as opposed to a big box store.

Also, I believe they usually have some good used stuff they have taken in on trade. Either way, at 290 lbs you should definitely be able to find something that's works for you if you talk to the right people.

Top Bottom