• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Is the USA team any good at this? it sure would be cool if the olympics ever considered a three gun or idpa or something like that...i dont compete, but a pistol shooting event would be fun to watch

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The summer Olympics have plenty of shooting sports represented - although it wouldn't surprise me if they get gradually weeded out and replaced by crap like croquet or something. I've never been able to find much coverage of the events, though. As for biathlon; I don't think we're top tier competitive :(

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    The summer Olympics have plenty of shooting sports represented - although it wouldn't surprise me if they get gradually weeded out and replaced by crap like croquet or something. I've never been able to find much coverage of the events, though. As for biathlon; I don't think we're top tier competitive :(

wow, i had no idea...shows the kinda crap coverage they have of it...pity

Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    My kids are just now old enough to get into the games. They think biathlon is the coolest thing ever.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Americans traditionally fare poorly at the biathalon during the Olympics, typically because of the transition from cross-country skiing to shooting. Americans still can't compete with Europeans in cross-country skiing, since its a comparatively rare sport here in the US.

Last edited:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    The shooting sports have traditionally been the most under-covered sports in the Olympics. I can't prove this, but have been watching since the late sixties and that's my take on it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just watched the women's biathlon. No, the USA is not competitive although one of our athletes was in third place for a minute in the 7.5 kilometer "sprint" event which had 84 entries. She ended up 14th. The other 3 Americans finished 44th, 53rd, & 65th. Imagine sprinting for 6-7 minutes then shooting 5 targets prone, then another sprint followed by 5 shots standing. Ski a penalty loop which adds 20-25 seconds to your time for each shot you miss. Talk about learning to control your breathing! The top 4 finishers had no penalties. Oh, yeah. Very cool rifles.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    The Americans never do well in the event, and would not if they were the best shooters by a wide margin. Same reason we can't compete in any of the nordic events, Americans are not born on skis like in Scandanavia. I went to college far up north and cross country skiied a lot, and was friends with some of the better skiers our nation has to offer.

They were amateurs compared to the Europeans.

The Norwegians are so good that a couple Olympics back they had a skier who had won a pile of medals in the ski events but got too old to be a serious medal contender. So for his last Olympics he switched to biathlon. He was not a great shooter at all but as biathlon is for the JV skiers, the ones that can't cut it in the open events, he could miss twice as much as them and still make it up on the course.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I watched part of the women's biathlon yesterday. They were pretty good. Can't see these on NBC. Fortunately, we use a proxy and the BBC's iPlayer. The Brits actually show the Olympics and there's not a lot of talking over everything.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I watched part of the women's biathlon yesterday. They were pretty good. Can't see these on NBC. Fortunately, we use a proxy and the BBC's iPlayer. The Brits actually show the Olympics and there's not a lot of talking over everything.
    Just this morning they were advertising that the men's biathlon competition would be at 3 p.m. today... You mean they're not going to show it?

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville

Incorrect. Women's biathlon was on NBC yesterday aorund 4pm. I watched the entire cverage.

Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Yep. I think it was 7500 meter. Two shooting positions. I googled biathlon yesterday. I guess it is a 50 yard shot. Target is 1.8 inches prone. And 4.5" standing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well... That was pretty anticlimactic. They show the guys shooting prone, but don't show the targets at all. The excitement is overwhelming. *yawn*

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Olympics-Biathlon-France's Fourcade wins men's 12.5km pursuit | Reuters
    france-flag-27.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I was a youngster, I got inspired by Lake Placid and (already being a hobby cross country skier), I started skiing through the woods and fields with my Red Ryder on my back with a twine "sling", stopping every so often to shoot at various stuff and imitate what I saw on TV.

It was good to grow up in very snowy, very rural SW Michigan.

Top Bottom