• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A few wipe outs, nothing too painful.

But they could show a target with a split screen or something. A lot of shooters arrive at the line and a lot is going on, but the broqdcast should try to follow the top guys.

It's a pretty nifty way of slinging the rifle.

Intersting event. Glad it hasn't been banned yet.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Americans traditionally fare poorly at the biathalon during the Olympics, typically because of the transition from cross-country skiing to shooting. Americans still can't compete with Europeans in cross-country skiing, since its a comparatively rare sport here in the US.

I have to think there are a few special forces guys who could pick this up and be uber-competitive.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    It is neat to watch their form. Also amazing to see how cool and steady these guys can be just seconds after sprinting.

The rifles seem to be some funky straight-pull bolt action. Never seen anything like that in my LGS.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It is neat to watch their form. Also amazing to see how cool and steady these guys can be just seconds after sprinting.

The rifles seem to be some funky straight-pull bolt action. Never seen anything like that in my LGS.

Yep breathing control must be the hardest part during shooting.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just watched this for the first time. It was a pretty neat event. Are they shooting .22? how far? how big of a target?

They didn't go into the specifics of the shooting portion at all.

Yep, .22 at 50 meters.
    The target has a diameter of 45mm when shooting prone and 115mm while standing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They are not allowed to have a round in the chamber while skying (also no mag in the gun) but are allowed to have an empty casing in it.
    That's why you will notice some shooters dont remove the casing from the last round they shot to leave the range faster.

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Watched the biathlon on Comcast's 'on demand' this morning & was very impressed with what I saw. These athletes are top notch at this sport obviously but to be able to control a shot in those conditions is superiority at the highest level. Most average people can't even make shots count with a resting heart rate. Although The USA didn't bring home a medal they still represented very well! I also wanted to add that I didn't see a single 'ugly' woman competing in the biathlon...

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ...and yet any goofy pastime that wasn't an organized sport 20 years ago, if the X-Games had it, they want it.

International Shooting Sport Federation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) is an organization that governs some international shooting sports. While not the only such organization, it is the one that is a member of the International Olympic Committee and so it is in charge of the Olympic shooting events.
    Over the years, the ISSF has distanced itself from connotations of non-sportive uses of guns. This has included changing over from human-shaped targets to circular ones. The only official ISSF target still depicting a live creature is the wild boar image used in 50 metre running target.[SUP][3][/SUP] Following this path, in 2000 the ISSF issued a decree, prohibiting any ISSF members from "cooperating" with the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) and from participating in any practical shooting activities.[SUP][4][/SUP] Regarding, contrary to the IPSC's own view, practical shooting as closer to combat training than actual shooting sports, the ISSF has also discouraged accepting the IPSC into the Olympic movement, in part because in the opinion of the Secretary General of the ISSF, IPSC "rivalled the activities of the ISSF.[SUP][4][/SUP]

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    just adding more information. not directed to you.
    I see now I accidently quoted your post, I had meant to quote mine....

-rvb

Don't take it personal -
    Because of your Yosemite Sam avatar, we all think your yelling at us.......with your OUTSIDE VOICE. :nailbite:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    A big part of the shooting sports not getting TV coverage is that the networks don't know how to make it look interesting on TV. Think about it, they still shoot 3 position rifle and pistol int he olympics but you never see it unless and American is competitive (Matt Emmons gets close sometimes). the reason is simple, this kind of marksmanship is entirely based on holding still. Every prone shooter can shot 1/4 moa.

Action pistol disciplines get little traction because many of the countries have more strict ownership laws, so the cultures can't support teams.

Biathlon is awesome. it isn't big in the US because of lack of training locations. I doubt many SF guys would be instantly competitive. Most aren't that good at sling shooting to compete and they would have to get serious to beat a Ukrainian woman who lives on her skis and can make 3 moa shots prone at full exertion and 10moa shots standing at full exertion. I am sure they would have some success given adequate training time and facilities, but these people are Olympic athletes for a reason.

I believe, but an not certain, that the biathletes are using Wolf's match .22lr. It is fantastic stuff made by Lapua. I know for a fact that when they produce this ammo that they stop production any time there is a temperature change or a barometric pressure change, package all ammo made with one lot number, and restart the line with a different lot number. they take it serious.

We just organized our first "biathlon" for my 4-H kids. they don't ski so we had them jog a half mile with their rifles, shoot a prone stage, jog another half mile and shoot a standing stage, all under time. At a certain point in the course they had to answer safety questions. if they were wrong they had to serve a penalty by using binoculars and a compass to find a heading on flags in an adjacent hayfield. It was 24 degrees and 15 kids showed up. Fun was had. Dairy Queen was later assaulted, secured, pillaged and tactically withdrawn from.

Top Bottom