"Best" way to secure a shotgun for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    I know of several different options for securing a handgun for home defense. I don't know of any way to keep a shotgun ready enough to use, yet secure enough to be reasonably safe.

How do you guys manage this?

This would be my suggestion.

I've got mine mounted to the rear wall of my closet, behind my two business suits. If needed, I push the suits aside, pop in the combination, and I'm armed.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Take them to the range. Make them shoot your SXS 12 gauge until they cry uncle. 50 rounds? or more. The mystery is gone but if they really need to use it for HD, they will be able to use it effectively.
    :+1:

Taking them to the range removes the curiosity of what it is like. It won't take that many rounds I would imagine before they do not want to shoot it. I don't like shooting that many rounds in a break action shotgun. It will also teach them the power of it and how to use it should they need to. You can also get in a lot of repitition of the basic safety rules. I have an 8 year old daughter that shoots with us at the range. She follows the rules better than some adults there.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I kind of hesitate to say anything here but feel compelled to do so.
    Kids and firearms are a bad combination, UNLESS they have been trained. A trip or two to the range is not training that is familiarization. I started taking my daughter shooting when she was 7 by the time she was a teenager she had grownup around guns and I had no fear of her messing with them.

Just my very humble opinion but I would really hate to hear of a tragedy involving kids and guns. Either fully train the kids or use secure means to stow the guns.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I kind of hesitate to say anything here but feel compelled to do so.
    Kids and firearms are a bad combination, UNLESS they have been trained. A trip or two to the range is not training that is familiarization. I started taking my daughter shooting when she was 7 by the time she was a teenager she had grownup around guns and I had no fear of her messing with them.

Just my very humble opinion but I would really hate to hear of a tragedy involving kids and guns. Either fully train the kids or use secure means to stow the guns.
    Previous post was meant as a starting point. I don't recommend anyone trying to use a gun for self or home defense without training and a lot of practice. I have been taking my daughter to the range for 2 years now and she is now 8.

Top Bottom