• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I just got a few pistol caliber suppressors, Spectre II and an Octane 45. I was under the impression with pistol calibers you have to clean them much more due to the lead and fouling that gets accumulated.

What is the best way to clean the baffles? I have seen recommendations for ultrasonic cleaners, tumblers. Does anyone have a brand or model that they recommend? If using a tumbler, what type of media should be used? Anything else one should keep in mind?

Sorry for such a noob question.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Well that's the problem, it just says dissemble and clean with your favorite cleaner.... thus asking what peoples favorite cleaners are.... And it says it can be used in ultrasonic cleaners... so just wondering what has worked best for people.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    :popcorn: I will be watching this tread as well. I have a couple cans that I have not really cleaned yet and not 100% sure what to use either.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Whatever cleaner you use - be sure it's "safe" for use with the material the can is made out of.

If aluminum (as my .22LR can is), then certain things certainly aren't safe for it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd be interested to see what guys here use for the aluminum in the 22 cans. Also chemicals that would work fine with titanium and inconel.

I think that Simple Green is aluminum safe. Granted that's just a cleaner. You'll likely need some heat and an ultrasonic action in order for that cleaner to work. Other stuffs may actually have a chemical action on the residues that are to be cleaned out.

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I think that Simple Green is aluminum safe. Granted that's just a cleaner. You'll likely need some heat and an ultrasonic action in order for that cleaner to work. Other stuffs may actually have a chemical action on the residues that are to be cleaned out.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Im guessing on a 22 monocore can, it would just be back to the basics for cleaning purposes.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I tried a ultrasonic cleaner on my Mystic baffle stack. Meh. Works great on brass, not so much on baffles. It cleans some of the baffle, but not all of it.

Then I bought a soda blaster. That's the way to go. Safe on anodized aluminum baffles and works great.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Long, thin glass jar from Uline or Medline and CarbonKiller from Slip2000.

I dump it in there at the beginning the of cleaning session and let it soak, but I've let them soak overnight too, no problems.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A baking soda blaster? Wow, never heard of that but looked it up and they work very well on all kinds of stuff. You can make them yourself for a few bucks too (if you already have an air compressor). Rep for Dog1!

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    I have a Thompson Machine Isis 9. I normally pull the baffle and spray the inside of the tube and the baffle with break clean. A little tooth brush action on the inside of both and wipe down. I reassemble with anti-seize. The main issue is power and lead residue on the ID of the tube, this is normally what makes the can hard to disassemble. I always loosen both ends of the can hot at the range when I am done, this prevents an disassembly issues.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Tagging!

I spray my (Octane 9) baffles with MPro Cleaner & let them soak while cleaning whatever firearm was used. Then use elbow grease & Weaponshield to get them cleanish. I've yet to get them even close to as new. Silencerco video shows ultrasonic cleaner & they came out like new. I did try fireclean last time on 1-baffle & it was easier to clean. This time, expansion chamber & first 2 baffles finished with fireclean, we'll see what happens.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I used vinegar diluted with water to clean most firearm related items. Vinegar is an acid, so once I am done running it through the ultrasonic cleaner I dunk all the parts to rinse them in water with a small amount of baking soda in it (1 teaspoon per gallon is plenty). Baking soda is a base and will neutralize the acid in the vinegar. If I don't do this neutralizing rinse my brass cases turn black overnight. If I do the rinse they stay nice and shiny.

Top Bottom