• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Watched a so called survivalist on TV make his own black powder...then load it into a cap and ball revolver. Got me thinking - a solid frame single action could shoot .45acp
    .45longs and still be converted back to cap and ball...just in case.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I carry a XDSC.40 on my hip and a SP101.357 IWB as a bug. That being said, I'm interested in the conversion barrels. I know they are avail. for glocks and for XDMs, but does anyone have info about them for plain XDs? Also, would my Beretta 90-two accept a 9mm barrel? I have the .40 model, but it uses the 9mm mags...? I saw the need for diversification when I first began with handguns and started buying as many different calibers as I could. This became a nightmare when stocking, storing and rotating ammo. For the ammo reasons and commonality of caliber/mags I've began focusing on .40 auto and .357 revolver with carbines in both calibers (still looking for a .357 lever). Now my dilemma seems to be finding a .40 carbine that takes XD mags. My CX4 and my 90-two swap out well, but not having much luck finding one to match with the XDs.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Love my old rossi-puma . It shoots lead bullets better than the marlin micro groove
    rifling. Might be important if you have to cast your own. With .357 hard cast bullets it will
    make a bowling pin dance at 100yrds.
    Kel -tec make a .40 that folds up . They can be had to accept several different mags.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I know the thread is best two gun combo (handguns) but I have to say I carry a pistol to make it to my rifle safely. If SHTF and I only have high quality pistols I'll still feel slightly more than screwed. :dunno::draw:

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I like my Glock 22 and Glock 27 Combo. My glock 22 mags will work in both guns and my 31 round mags will work in both. I plan on getting the lone wolf conversion barrels for both guns so I can have the variety of useable ammo.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    i understand the importance of a .22 in an shtf scenario, but dont want to sacrifice my battle rifle to carry around my .22... so my two handguns would be a defense handgun, such as my .357 or 9mm, and a .22 pistol such as a sig mosquito or ruger target pistol in case i need to plink a squirrel for dinner.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I can understand the 'wanting 2 handguns' premise..... if you're talking in addition to a rifle. And the idea of having 2 (or more) guns that can use the same ammo.... is a great one. That's been my plan all along.

But one thing I would like to point out, is this: If it's a truly SHTF situation (economic failure, or world chaos/war, cities get nuked, whatever).... you may be having to stay on the move, and eventually travel quite some distance to find 'safe haven'.

All that being considered, we all need to keep in mind that most CF calibur ammo is rather heavy. Reloading components, are also rather heavy. You won't be able to carry a large amount of heavy ammo day-after-day, for very long. And you may (hopefully) be many days before you actually need to defend yourselves. If you have a family traveling in unknown conditions.... you are going to need to be able to carry as much as you can, in the way of food staples, clothing, tools (including knives and an axe or hatchet), medicine, portable lights, etc.

So, that being said..... here's my 'ideal' gun combo. One centerfire handgun, like say a compact 1911 or a Glock in 9mm or .380 cal... along with a couple hundred rounds of ammo. You don't have to go with 120 grain bullets in that, either. Something like 60 grain to 87 grain is more than sufficient. Lesser quality CF handguns are not a good choice here, no matter how inexpensive (or lite weight) they might be, You will need a piece that is not going to fail on you.

Next, I would get a well-made pistol (or revolver) in .22LR cal...... and for a rifle, something like the Ruger 1022, or even a repeating bolt gun in .22LR cal. A 10/22 with hi-capacity mags, and hollow-point ammo, is also a sufficient self-defense weapon, and half a dozen mags would not be exceptionally 'bulky' or heavy, even loaded. If you have 2 or more people in your party.... most of the need for guns/ammo will likely be to take small game, for food. I say this because, if you're smart..... you'll be out in the countyside someplace, and avoiding the cities ( as much as possible). The exception might be to acquire fuel for a vehicle, or something of that nature.

With a handgun and a decent rifle...... that are both chambered for .22LR, you can take anything game-wise, up to and including deer. Rimfire ammo is small and light (round-for-round) compared to most CF stuff. It's much easier to carry a thousand rounds of, and very much available now, at a very low cost. Having a firearm (or 2) chambered in .22LR and a pre-purchased 'stash' of that ammo.... is a no-brainer, IMHO.

Another advantage to the rimfire scenario is...... even your wife and kids (if you have a family to fend for) can easliy learn to shoot these, if they don't already know...... w/o being afraid of the noise/recoil. One other advantage is, they are fairly quiet compared to any CF round. And let's face it.... not everyone will have a 'can' for their gun(s).... and you may well be in a situation where you don't want others to hear you, if hunting food.

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    i didn't i posted a SHTF rifle thread a couple months back so that was my first priority. i bought a 10/22 and am stocking up on rounds now.

what do you think of a glock 22 and glock 19 combo? could drop in a 9mm barrel into the 22 and have 2 caliber options and could get a .22 conversion kit for the 19.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    i didn't i posted a SHTF rifle thread a couple months back so that was my first priority. i bought a 10/22 and am stocking up on rounds now.

what do you think of a glock 22 and glock 19 combo? could drop in a 9mm barrel into the 22 and have 2 caliber options and could get a .22 conversion kit for the 19.

That sounds like a great way to go.

I'm still learning/planning, myself. So thanks for your ideas, too..... :yesway:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I agree with one of the earlier posts. 9mm S&W MP and a .22lr S&W 22a with a scope. I have plenty of ammo stocked up and it would be easier to find if needed because it's so plentiful. If I could have three choices I would also carry a .38 revolver for the same reason.

The 9mm may not have the stopping power of a bigger round, but due to it's low cost I can practice enough to know I will hit my target. The 22 with a scope would feed the family, not make much noise and has 10 rounds in the clip. Plus a .22 doesn't destroy much meat if Mr. Bunny or Mrs. Squirrel are dinner.

Also like an earlier post, the handgun would only be for close in work while I'm getting my rifle.

jarheadcatfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Georgetown
    I've recently moved all my 40sw pistols, and now only have 45acp. I have two glocks (21sf and 30sf), XDM, and Kimber tactical. My thought process was if I only had one handgun ammunition, my wife or brother wouldn't have to worry about matching ammo to weapon. If I have been killed or I am not available for some reason, all they have to do is pick which weapon to use. I wanted to take the guessing game out of the equation for my family.

Elvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I like the idea of keeping the caliber the same between my guns as much as possible. 9mm and .223 feed most of my guns.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    i like that idea. so i'll buy a g22 (or two) and buy a 9mm lonewolf drop in barrel and all i have to do is swap barrels and mags and its good to shoot 9mm? thats exactly the kind of idea i'm looking for.

I did that. bought my barrel at cheaperthandirt.com. works amazingly. Never jammed, no issues. For $100. it isn't a bad investment.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    OK here's an exercise for some one with too much idle time ... weigh 1# powder+1000 small pistol primers+1 lee loader.38 cal.+1 lee single cav. bullet mold+ 4 small containers
    of lee tumble lube and compare that to 200 rounds of your favorite center fire ammo...
    I was gonna do it but I don't have a good scale... If anybody tries let us know.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Having 9mm, .45acp, 5.56mm & 7.62x51 or even 7.62x39mm would be all good choices to have. Those calibers of ammo would be common to find in a SHTF event. But wouldn't 22 long rifle be the most common? Most places that sell ammo seem to carry more 22lr than other types. Most gunowners have at least one 22lr weapon. So wouldn't be a better advanage to have a rifle and handgun with the same caliber? I have been taking a closer look at my choices of SHTF weapons. On one hand, need a rifle to hunt with, don't think a 22lr would bring down a deer, but would take rabbits and squirrels. Then bigger calibers have the bigger punch that maybe needed to protect family and belongings, etc. So many variables to consider, am I stationary or always on the go, to where weight and space are a concern. Tough call. Thats why these posts help. Good topic, given me more things to consider. :twocents:

gdkaiser

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Michiana-South Bend
    That question will garner more answers than you will have time to read, unless you are prepapiring to go to a war zone just pick weapons you enjoy get comfortable with them and enjoy the sport. if you are really worried about armmegeddon then get a 9mm (us and nato forces , so if the end comes you might be able to scrounge up some ammo), and get a 5.56 rifle latch on to a good amount of ammo so you have both grounds covered. but otherwise enjoty your days at the range....

Top Bottom