• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I know a guy in Kentucky that drops deer every year with .223/5.56. One shot kills. In fact he has used only ARs to hunt with for the past 12 years. One of the first I knew that used ARs. .223 is plenty for about any game you will encounter around here. The Inuits use .223 on just about anything they encounter up in the arctic.

I know you can take deer with things down to a 22lr. (It's a bit more complicated than typical hunting, but I'm sure most people know what to do.)

I was mostly looking at it from a stand point of having less than perfect shot placement and still having enough power to make a reasonable kill.

I don't picture .223 being very forgiving for hunting, especially if you're in some brush.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would love to hear everyone's opinion on what they view as the best most effective survival style rifles and why?

I like the 2 guns in one concept and I purchased a Springfield M6 Scout in .22/.410. You can use the .410 for birds, bunnies and squirrels and the .22 for larger small game. Either the .22 or .410 could be used for self defense. For larger game you could use the .410 slugs.

The over/under stock holds 15 rounds of .22 rifle ammo and 4 .410 shot shells or slugs. The gun breaks down and could be packed in a bag; you could carry it with a sling or leave it in the factory case under the seat of your vehicle. 500-1000 rounds of .22 ammo and 50-100 rounds of .410 ammo could be carried in a survival situation.

Here's a link to a thread a stated when I got mine: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../172880-scored_on_a_springfield_m6_scout.html

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As said, it depends on what I'm surviving.

If it's a power grid collapse/EMP, or a sudden petroleum shortage, or roads collapsing from something, where it's a survive-in-place kind of thing, the SCAR would probably be my choice because it could do anything from hunt to defend out to fair distance. Of course, if that's the situation, I'd have every gun I had now and wouldn't have to pick just one.

If it's a fill he SUV and head for relatives across the country, maybe the AUG because it's short enough I can leave it next to me when driving and manipulate with one hand to shoot out either window or even straight out the windshield.

If it's a walk out scenario, weight matters. It might be a light AR or even my Steyr Scout, depending on whether there are ravaging hordes or not.

If it's a case of having to stretch resources for as long as possible, maybe the Ruger 77/44. I can cast bullets for it or swage lots of other projectiles into proper shape, load it with a huge variety of powders from Bullseye to the faster rifle powders (and black powder) and very little of it. Cases last long. It's also the lightest of everything named. Having a bore big enough I can clear it with green stick might be a plus too.

Lots of questions to be answered before choosing.

I'd say a Scar L would fit each of those scenarios, its light, short with stock folded, the perfect go to rifle.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I know you can take deer with things down to a 22lr. (It's a bit more complicated than typical hunting, but I'm sure most people know what to do.)

I was mostly looking at it from a stand point of having less than perfect shot placement and still having enough power to make a reasonable kill.

I don't picture .223 being very forgiving for hunting, especially if you're in some brush.

The .223 has enough power to do just about anything with in reason, internet and gunshop rumors withstanding. Would I call it perfect? No, nothing is, but in a bad spot we all can't carry 3-4 guns, just in case. You really have to make a hard choice. What will cover more bases?

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I agree with the .22 being ideally the weapon of choice for most instances. Its light, cheap, reliable and most are relatively accurate and will not deafen you. You can carry a great deal of ammo for one also. It is a very underestimated round by most. I shoot mine to 150-200 yards on occasion... when the wind is light. I do not attempt much further as I have not developed a dope past that. I know it will shoot further and maintain accuracy with little to no wind.

Now is where I also disagree with the .22:
    It is affected by wind way to much to be reliable at true distance 150 yards+. It is a great back pack survival gun, but with the introduction of the 5.56/.223 it falls short in my book.
    Most 5.56/.223 firearms are also lightweight, reliable and relativity accurate. Now cost on this one is a different story depending on platform.

This is a very capable round. It can be shot to extended distances, 300 yards+. I have accurately shot mine to 650 yards on a torso sized target and to around 800 yards on a larger man sized target.

Most people are capable of at least 300 yards with it without trouble. I recently taught my wife to shoot at 300 yards on a 8" steel plate.... that is far sufficient to hunt or defend oneself if needed.

The ammo can be had at a descent price and in bulk. I dont have to run the best ammunition available. To put a target down it only takes an accurate shot with whatever you have on hand.

In most cases... depending on how much you have available, it is also light enough to carry sufficient rounds. I personally have 1300+ rounds in a .50 cal ammo can. It weighs just a touch over 38lbs. I dont remember the exact number of rounds in it right now, but it is more than plenty. I also have 4 fully loaded magazines in the can also.

That being said... I always have a full "battle load" of mags ready at all times minimum. For those that do not know.. that is 6 mags. So, at any given time I have 10 loaded mags minimum ready to go plus the "grab and go can".

I have more than enough prepared to hunt/defend if needed... even if it takes more than 1 shot.

So, with all that being said.. my choice is the AR 15 :ar15:platform chambered in 5.56 or .223 wylde as to get the most use of the readily available ammunition.

:patriot:

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    How about .22 magnum? You can get it in a lever, bolt, or a semi-auto. You can still carry a lot of rounds and the power level is quite a bit greater.

...and costs nearly 4 times as much! A 22 magnum is nearly as much as steel case .223 ammo, and lots less powerful. $.28 versus $.30 per round. (roughly)

I checked, just this week. I think I will get a 10/22 and use the CCI's
    Plinking/practice ammo is $.08 and under, in bulk! Plus, good hyper velocity 22 LR is slightly faster than mid-range 22 magnum. No real advantage to the magnums, it is more of a niche/competition gun, IMO.

Good Question, I had the same thoughts.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    If the magnum can reach out to 300y accurately--which i doubt due to the mass of the projectile--then I would give it the thumbs up for security. So basically, I believe that if you can keep your enemy 300y away, then you at least have a fair CHANCE at surviving an armed engagement. If your gun can only reach 150y, and your enemy can easily kill you from 300y (which practically every center fire rifle can), then there's just nothing you can do about it really. You may as well have a BB gun or sling shot in such a scenario.

Of course a sniper could get you from 600y or more, but you're just screwed then no matter what. Part of survival is cover though, and wooded areas are far more likely to prevent a 600y shot than a 300y shot.

:dunno:

Obviously......ya don't know what your spew'n......about the .22 MAG or the .22LR (your earlier post in thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHXzX8T5ew&feature=related

IF......the Mag can reach 300 yds?.......LMAO!.....you serious?

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    :dunno:

Obviously......ya don't know what your spew'n......about the .22 MAG or the .22LR (your earlier post in thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHXzX8T5ew&feature=related

IF......the Mag can reach 300 yds?.......LMAO!.....you serious?

LOL, this is great! I'd rather have a great shooter and a "too small" caliber over a novice with a BFG (so to speak:laugh: )

They had a very good shooter, and a bullet trap, nailing it with a 22LR standard shell, at nearly 400 yards! (at least 380) The trap was like a 12"w X 6" tall size... tiny at ~400 yards!

Top Bottom