• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Wife and I both work so no time for sauce like grandma made when I was a kid. We have been trying different jar sauces and of course none taste like grandmas. Just wanted to find out what all of you use and what you might add to it ? Thanks

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Barilla makes a good sauce. I use it fairly often. I like the Garlic and Mushroom. Seems a very versatile sauce. Not as good as homemade, but it gets the job done and it's better than the Prego/Ragu budget sauces. If you look around at Meijer find a big can of Cento or other San Marzano tomatoes and make your sauce from scratch. It doesn't take long at all and you'll be satisfied with the results. All it takes is a can (they're pretty big) of whole tomatoes. Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a pan. Add some garlic. Crush the tomatoes in by hand and add a bit of water or your favourite red wine. Add some basil and a touch of sugar and simmer for a while. Add to pasta or add pasta to sauce, (use the pasta water to thin out the sauce if necessary). If you want the sauce to coat the pasta, (like jar sauce) add a TBS or so of tomato paste to the sauce. You can add meat to the sauce, too if you like.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Ragu Spaghetti sauce with Meat flavoring was good enough for my grand pop, my dad, and me. We brown up some meatballs and we put some parm cheese directly in the sauce.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Prego. Though the Meijer brand is actually pretty good too.

I have a slow cooker recipe for sauce that could cook all day so it would be ready when you got home. Or do it on a day off (like the suggestion above) and freeze/can it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    +1 for Barilla. I make sauce from canned San Marzano tomatoes several times a year but when I'm not feeling up to the cranking on the food mill Barilla gets the job done. I usually saute some garlic before tossing the sauce in, fresh basil and a splash of red wine on occasion. If we ad meat its browned Italian sausage.

Hwseeker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    I think I have now seen it all. This Forum has it all! Guns, Lively Discussion, Politics, and Food....many of the favorites on my list!

Hwseeker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    My wife says Prego, but Hunts in the can is good too! (If you could see my waistline, you would know that she knows what she is talking about!)

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The wife generally gets Prego or Ragu.
    Doesn't much matter to me, have to add meat, and other sundries no matter what can it comes out of.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Prego Roasted Garlic Parmesan. Hunt's is ok. Like others have said though brewing up a big pan at once and freezing it is a good idea if you have room in the freezer.

Top Bottom