• Favorite semi-auto .308?

• Total voters

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    all on the poll are fine rifles, and the SR-25 is the shiznit, but the fal may be a bit easier to scrounge parts for if you are knocking about the backwaters of the world. m1a/m14, wood and steel and caliber 30, is a rifleman's rifle and the G3 is nearly "bulletproof". other 308's move in and out of my collection, but an fal stays. that is until my wife buys enough baskets that i can justify the SR-25. hehe.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    M1A!

I bought one after wanting one for ages. Im in love! I still want an SA58OSW FAL, but I love my M1A. Its accurate, reliable, sexy, and easy to disassemble. Hell a 5yr old could take it apart to clean it.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I like my AR-10A2C :rockwoot:
    439-1.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm just curious if any of us M1A/HK91-G3/FAL/AR10 fans (myself included) have carried one around all day and fired 500 rounds through one during that same day? I'm not saying these aren't all some of the finest examples of the .30 semiauto breed. They are. But, it's good to keep in mind that any of these are a lot of rifle for activities such this or similar SHTF scenario. The following Farnam quip suggests that's the case anyway.

John Farnam's Quips - 05Aug08.html - Advantage Arms - Garand

I used to hunt deer with a M1 Garand (using those special 5 rnd clips) back when I lived in MI. It's a wonderful rifle for what it is.

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I did that with an M1 Garand (carry it around all day, shoot 500 rounds). Amazing rifle. It went through the sand, dirt, and mud with me.

I know, I know. This was a re-enactment. But the rifle still did it! And so did I!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    :twocents:My vote is FAl, ( I like the M1 over the M1a any day of the week) I shoot the garand better off hand, I don't like the M1A for feel, plus my FAl continues to out shoot them, I shot an M1 for vets match in michigan at the end of the day they held a "rattle battle" 60 seconds, 30 rounds, one mag change, prone, I out shot two national match M1A's My score was 223 ( the best shot that day had an AK but used a bench rest, he shot a 252)
    oh can some one pm me and explain how to add pics to a post from my pics and not a wesite?

Jeremiah Forbes's Photos | Facebook
    photo.php

photo.php

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What manufacture was your g3? Lots of **** companies made lots of **** rifles.. A proper HK or higher end clone is a thing of beauty but those $800 ones are complete trash, imho.

Not all of them are. I've got a centurion 99 that will run circles around even the best built FALs. Most of the G3 issues came from Hesse (aka vulcan).

For me it's a toss up between the G3 and M14.

They are the best battle rifles ever designed. AK reliability and AR accuracy.

FALs are nice weapons. I like them. For combat and SHTF? G3 or M14 all the way. Number one reason? reliability. I've got two friends who spent time in Rhodesia. One was born there and moved here in his 20's after serving in the army there and the other was there as a merc. In the Army my friend had a FAL. He said it was great... when it worked. It required "more maintanence" than his ex wife. He wished for a G3. My other friend had a G3. He loved it. He also chooses the G3 (SAR-8 IIRC)for his current go to rifle.

As to the AR10... just ask the people who've been to a front sight or Suarez Intl class how they fared vs the M1a's or G3's.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Not all of them are. I've got a centurion 99 that will run circles around even the best built FALs. Most of the G3 issues came from Hesse (aka vulcan).

For me it's a toss up between the G3 and M14.

They are the best battle rifles ever designed. AK reliability and AR accuracy.

FALs are nice weapons. I like them. For combat and SHTF? G3 or M14 all the way. Number one reason? reliability. I've got two friends who spent time in Rhodesia. One was born there and moved here in his 20's after serving in the army there and the other was there as a merc. In the Army my friend had a FAL. He said it was great... when it worked. It required "more maintanence" than his ex wife. He wished for a G3. My other friend had a G3. He loved it. He also chooses the G3 (SAR-8 IIRC)for his current go to rifle.

As to the AR10... just ask the people who've been to a front sight or Suarez Intl class how they fared vs the M1a's or G3's.

My baby - AR-10A2C - is most accurate with an optic.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have one of Eugene Stoner's SR-25 (SR for Stoner Rifle) from Knight's Armament Co. Highly accurate but very picky on ammo. This rifle is in my will and must stay in the family. I love it.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Funny this one got kicked back up today. Got to play with the SR-25 Battle Rifles today in 14.5" and 16" flavors and they are most definitely a couple of very sweet shooters (the 14.5" even puts out a very nice fireball). I definitely stand by my statement of the SR-25 being my favorite.

Maybe if I hit the Florida Lotto, I can have them build a 16" one for me with the Mk11 suppressor setup. (Meanwhile back in reality . . . )

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Haven't fired a G3 or FAL, so I can't say for either of them.

Going to pick up my AR-10 lower next week (AR lowers are regulated firearms in MD, subject to 7 day waiting period. Oh how I miss Indiana!), and this will be my first AR build...but I have to go with the M1A/M14. It's a solid workhorse (so is the FAL from what I hear), it'll fire what you feed it, and I'm somewhat of a traditionalist...I prefer wood to polymer for a couple reasons. One, the look. Pure and simple. The M1A's with walnut stocks are gorgeous IMO. Two, in the event I have to use it close up, I'd rather have a wooden stock and heavier rifle for butt-stroking purposes.

If it wasn't for the price, I'd be ordering an M1A rather than building the AR-10.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    M1A!

I bought one after wanting one for ages. Im in love! I still want an SA58OSW FAL, but I love my M1A. Its accurate, reliable, sexy, and easy to disassemble. Hell a 5yr old could take it apart to clean it.

in under two minutes I can take apart the gas system and hear the bolt assyembly down two the firing pin and spring, reassyemble and swab the barrell without feeling rushed

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I hate to admit how many 308s I have in the safe. My Fal is a Springfield with a 18 inch barrel. I have 2 M1As and I am not sure which I like the best. My French 49/56 in 308 is almost the most fun. I think an AK folder and a 12 gauge pump is still my SHTF bailout plan.

Top Bottom