• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As a keepsake that he could be proud to pass down and the fact that he has large hands, I'd suggest a pre-lock Smith & Wesson Model 27-2. It was made when a lot of care was given to quality. The .357 magnum caliber is very versatile and it is capable of shooting .38 SPL ammo. Engraving would negatively affect the value.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    As a keepsake that he could be proud to pass down and the fact that he has large hands, I'd suggest a pre-lock Smith & Wesson Model 27-2. It was made when a lot of care was given to quality. The .357 magnum caliber is very versatile and it is capable of shooting .38 SPL ammo. Engraving would negatively affect the value.
    Why do you say that having it engraved will be a negative?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I kicked around getting the stainless until I saw the blue, then I jumped on that one like a jungle cat, licked it so nobody else could call dibs, and then did my "I saw it first" dance.

I'm not allowed back in that gun shop.
    BBIs and 2 fellow detectives describing how they drive their Chargers with the quickness of a jungle cat when a Wiley Clapp is in stock.

1716737062576.png

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    6" .357 magnum.
    I want to second this. I bought a (I think) S&W 686 Plus 7 rounder in .357 last year. Really fun.

But if your son is a big guy to go with his big mitts, I'd suggest a .44. The specials are nothing, recoil-wise. And the hot loads are fun too. I kind of wish I'd waited and gone .44 instead of .357.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It i a pre-lock revolver. They are a collectable. Anything done outside of the factory impacts the collector value.
    I'm not so sure, I'm gonna say that if it was done with any true Master Engraver it's a huge plus to the price tag.
    So many Masters will do work for many different companies and still do work at home for other customers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not so sure, I'm gonna say that if it was done with any true Master Engraver it's a huge plus to the price tag.
    So many Masters will do work for many different companies and still do work at home for other customers.
    I was basing my opinion on the OP's $1,000 budget.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son loves his Ruger Vaquero 45Colt.

$738

20200702_215520.jpg

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    A year ago I would have said Ruger over S&W. But the last few pistols from Ruger (SP 100 and SR22) have been sent back to the factory for work.
    I think the older Rugers would be good, or the pre lock S&W.
    As of now there is a Ruger 357 in the classifieds that would be good (Edit - this probably isn't what you would consider "really nice." I was thinking more of a utility gun).

With that said, for any carry application you should seriously consider a reliable semi auto.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was basing my opinion on the OP's $1,000 budget.
    Because pre-lock 27-2's that are worth buying are priced under $1,000 lol

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nice = $1k, doesn’t have to be new, but would lean that way. The kid has large bricks for hands. More of a gift that he will enjoy and hold onto forever. Maybe an engraving.
    Not necessary a carry.
    I asked my sons what handguns that had been gifted to them have they enjoyed and used more over the past 5-7 years.
    One said the SR25 "he wishes" an the other said the 41 Smith that I bought for him.
    At a Tipton show I bought him a 99.7% 5 1/2" new model 41 for either $925.00 or $950.00
    Great pistols.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's one right now on Gunbroker for a buy now price of $1,000. It pays to shop around!:lol2:

I haven't looked yet. Was it tied to a bumper and driven down 15 miles of gravel road and then buried in a salt pit? originally barrel swapped out for a Taurus? Price includes the electrical tape on the grip frame to replace the missing wood?

*edit*

Ok, I looked. Not *that* bad at all.

Top Bottom