• Zionsville

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2021
    My oldest is getting ready to turn 18.
    Has taken CC class and we shoot a lot.

I’m thinking of getting him a really nice hand gun.

From a revolver standpoint - what would you recommend?

Also if your Dad gave you a gun, what was it?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Guy with platoon of nephews here. For those that wanted revolvers I have given SW M17, SW M19 and a Ruger Security Six (those are guns that they personally picked from my safe).

For COTS guns I give the new Smith M66s. "Kirk, why?" Not an expert myself despite my opinions, but Denny Reichard, Gun Yoda, of Sand Burr Gun Ranch was and that was the gun he recommended to me 2nd to last time I saw him when I was picking stuff up in Rochester.

Bought one myself (I know you are all shocked). Impressive piece, I like it very much.

It is catalogued as M66-8. I have this one, 4" tube:

Last edited:

Zionsville

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2021
    Primary purpose?

Budget?

Define "nice":

General idea of hand size? Like a "small" in gloves or easily palms a bowling ball or what?
    Nice = $1k, doesn’t have to be new, but would lean that way. The kid has large bricks for hands. More of a gift that he will enjoy and hold onto forever. Maybe an engraving.
    Not necessary a carry.

Zionsville

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2021
    What caliber are you thinking about? Do you or your son anticipate reloading for the revolver? What will be the primary purpose for the revolver?
    Keep sake- not necessarily a carry but something he will enjoy and know the old man loves him. Might have it engraved. Caliber agnostic.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    My first gun was a Savage 24c camper companion 20ga 22lr we never owned handguns til I got my first one at 18 a Taurus 82 3” barrel made like the olde S&W’s

So while I love S&W revolvers and a 2.75” 66 would be a great choice the Taurus 856 line with 3” barrels would be just as good

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Keep sake- not necessarily a carry but something he will enjoy and know the old man loves him. Might have it engraved. Caliber agnostic.
    I gave one a Gold Cup and the other a vintage 8" Python, that I bought long ago.
    If I was to buy a revolver and then have it engraved I would do one in stainless so its not necessary to have it refinished after engraving.
    With stainless revolvers I'm a L frame, Smith 686 pre-lock man.

Have fun doing it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nice = $1k, doesn’t have to be new, but would lean that way. The kid has large bricks for hands. More of a gift that he will enjoy and hold onto forever. Maybe an engraving.
    Not necessary a carry.

Rare enough to be interesting, aesthetically pleasing, and a good size if he wants to actually carry it. Difficult to find, however.

Easier to source, very functional and still reasonable on the aesthetics. OEM grips work great for those with mammoth sized hands, but are difficult to conceal as a result should he decide to use it for that.

Pre-lock S&W k-frame or n-frames are never a bad choice. I'd stick to .38/.357 magnum if he plans to shoot much and doesn't reload just due to the cost of factory ammo, but if that's not a concern then anything in .45 Colt is a versatile and fun revolver.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Rare enough to be interesting, aesthetically pleasing, and a good size if he wants to actually carry it. Difficult to find, however.

Easier to source, very functional and still reasonable on the aesthetics. OEM grips work great for those with mammoth sized hands, but are difficult to conceal as a result should he decide to use it for that.

Pre-lock S&W k-frame or n-frames are never a bad choice. I'd stick to .38/.357 magnum if he plans to shoot much and doesn't reload just due to the cost of factory ammo, but if that's not a concern then anything in .45 Colt is a versatile and fun revolver.

OMG, Future Kirk does not need that much money in his SEPs.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Get him one of the new blued Colt pythons. 6" .357.

My dad has given me so many guns I couldn't list them all. The first one I ever picked out myself ( I was 5 yo) was a Ruger single six .22 with a 6" barrel. We used to watch a lot of westerns growing up and I was a huge fan of the old Clint Eastwood movies. I thought the single six looked like what he carried. Got a full cowboy rig and everything. My dad has it hanging in his living room right now but when my oldest son gets old enough it will be his.

Top Bottom