• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm getting back into reloading after a very brief stint awhile back. What is currently the best deal on a 'starter kit' available? I'd prefer to just get another solid single stage press to start with (I enjoyed my RCBS Rockchucker supreme last time) but I'm not loyal to any one brand.

Budget is not really important, but value for my money always is ;)

Thanks!

*edit* Wrong forum, mods please move to Ammunition & reloading. (DONE, SDH)

Last edited by a moderator:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If you do no think you will get into it heavy, then go for the RCBS kit.

If you think that you will really get into it, then get yourself the 550 Dillon. You can get a 550 BL for a very good price, it just does not come with all the fixins, which you can add over time.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Call Andrew at Profire, and let him hook you up with the full monte..... go blue or go home.

RL_550_cat_shot_m.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got a Lyman Crusher II starter kit when they were on sale at Midway, but it still amazed me how much more stuff there was to buy...

Answer is based upon the OP stating he wants a single stage press.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Still partial to the Lee Classic Turret setup. Started off on that and never saw the need for anything else after 4000+ rounds of 9mm and hundreds of .308 and 7.62x39. Have even done 32 gauge blanks and No. 56 Spencer on it.

Last edited:

R3l0@d3r

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I started years ago with Lee 3-hole turret, upgraded to the 4-hole, then on to the Lee Loadmaster and now my current Hornady Ammo plant. If I knew then what I do now, I would have started with the basic Hornady Lock-n-load AP and then added to it over time. Would have saved me money over the long term.

Haven't done the Blue yet, but I imagine if I were to change from what I have today, it would be to the Dillon 1050.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i had a dillon 650 and i hated it. nothing against dillon i just did not enjoy progressive reloading, (it didnt help that i never trusted it and weighed every charge:D)

for me the forster coax is just the ticket. i enjoy going slow and making every round as absolutly perfect as i can.

that said i started with the lee classic kit because i had no clue what equipment i needed. everything out of that kit was replaced in a few weeks. had i to do it over again i would start with the rockchucker kit. its reasonably priced and quality equipment.

x2 on call profire arms and let them get you squared away

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I have Lee presses and numerous RCBS accessories. I just bought a Lee Pro1000 for 9mm, but I was sorely tempted to get the Lee Classic 4 turret for more flexibility in loading 1-5 rounds, or just pumping out lots of rounds.
    I think the turret can pump out 150+ an hour.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I started out with a Lee breech lock single stage press. First thing I did was dump the powder measure and scale. I bought an RCBS Chargemaster, and it was well worth the cost $300. It cut the time to reload 100 rounds by more than half. I use Lee dies as well, and they get the job done. Start simple, and as you go, you will know what and when you need to upgrade.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    i had a dillon 650 and i hated it. nothing against dillon i just did not enjoy progressive reloading, (it didnt help that i never trusted it and weighed every charge:D)

for me the forster coax is just the ticket. i enjoy going slow and making every round as absolutly perfect as i can.

that said i started with the lee classic kit because i had no clue what equipment i needed. everything out of that kit was replaced in a few weeks. had i to do it over again i would start with the rockchucker kit. its reasonably priced and quality equipment.

x2 on call profire arms and let them get you squared away

I second this motion. I like to do one at a time in small batches and am very anal about the final product coming off the press. My guns are very expensive and I cant put a price on my face. I am having good luck with my Lee single stage and dies. Everything else is RCBS.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I started out with a Lee breech lock single stage press. First thing I did was dump the powder measure and scale. I bought an RCBS Chargemaster, and it was well worth the cost $300. It cut the time to reload 100 rounds by more than half. I use Lee dies as well, and they get the job done. Start simple, and as you go, you will know what and when you need to upgrade.

Funny I did the exact same thing. I got a deal on the Chargemaster. RCBS had a fifty dollaer rebate for awhile, Cabelas had a sale and I used some of my Cabelas Visa points. I think it only cost me like eighty dollars out of pocket. Best money I ever spent you are right speeding up the process. Great as a scale too. The accuracy in my AR reloads compared to factory fodder is astonishing.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm getting back into reloading after a very brief stint awhile back. What is currently the best deal on a 'starter kit' available? I'd prefer to just get another solid single stage press to start with (I enjoyed my RCBS Rockchucker supreme last time) but I'm not loyal to any one brand.

Thanks!

*edit* Wrong forum, mods please move to Ammunition & reloading. (DONE, SDH)

If you were happy with the RCBS kit you had in the past and it full filled your needs, I'd probably go that route again....

If you'd like a little more versatility and speed, Id' look at the Lee Classic turret... It can be used as both a single stage or an indexing turret...

As for kits... if you go with the RCBS, the kit probably wouldn't be a bad idea... If you go toward the Lee though, I'd really consider buying your equipment piece by piece... I am a fan of the Lee turret, but hardly use anything that comes in their kit...

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I bought my lee 4 hole turret from the place up in Mishawaka. Should have just bought the kit from midway or locally. I use just about everything in the kit including the powder measure that mounts on the turret that is included in the kit.

It's a pretty good system. I did end up buying a hornady lnl electronic scale. Needless to say I'm sending it back. It's not keeping its 0 and the display is losing segments.

The powder measure from lee is accurate, it measures every time accurately within 1/10 of a grain. The only downside is it is a little messy.

Needless to say the lee turret will get you loading fast and accurate. Just add powder, primer, cases and bullets.

-JD-

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have been thinking about getting into reloading myself. Don't want to put a ton of money into it until I decide if it's really something I want to do.

If you aren't sure it's something you really want to do, I wouldn't put any money into it yet without more homework... Well, maybe with the exception of the modest price for a beginners class that Andrew offers on here... That or say what part of the state you are in and see if you can't arrange seeing someones set up and then determining...

If you do decide it's something you'd enjoy, the RCBS package you linked would be a great start !

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Unless you want to load a bunch (3-400) of pistol rounds all at once, or are just doing a larger rifle caliber, I think you'll get the most bang for your buck with a Lee Classic Turret. Great little machine. I love mine.

Personally, I would not get the kit.
    I'd rather be able to mix and match and get exactly what I want.
    But that's just me. YMMV.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I would start with one of the Lee kits. They go for around $100. and they work.

I don't like the scale that comes with the kit. I use a RCBS. It cost around $70.

I would also suggest a Forster case trimmer they go for around $80. Lee makes case trimmers that are slow and hard on the fingers. I used them for years with no problems.

The Forster is much easer and faster. Trust me on this it is much easer.

Add a set of dies and you are set to go.

I know some people think that Lee presses are junk. I have used them for years and have never had a problem with one yet. I can't see paying $230 for say a RCBS for the same type of press kit. The only thing nicer in that kit is the scale. Oh, the RCBS has no primer seater or powder drop.

Lyman makes a kit that has every thing in it but dies and it goes for $360. They make some good stuff but it works no better than Lee.

Good luck on what you decide. Have a great day

Top Bottom