• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I've been thinking about learning a form of martial arts as of late. I used to take Tae Kwon Do when I was younger, but it had little real world application. Most of it was learning katas and prescripted moves. Wrestling in grade school and high school was more beneficial than what Tae Kwon Do taught me, because it was a functional and dynamic art. I was thinking Judo, for balance and take down potential. What are your thoughts on this? What would you choose and why?

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I did Tae Kwon Doe as well and I feel like Muay Thai was 10x better. I would try krav maga since its meant for real world situations, and its used by the Israeli Defense. Theres a studio off of 69 and 96th st in Indy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Krav Maga. Tae Kwon Do is great if you like to kick things and spar in tournaments, but in a street fight it's not very useful.

A VERY close second to KM would be any good ground-fighting style like Brazilian jiu jitsu.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Different answers for different people. Only "safe" answer, maybe: Jeet Kune Do, under the "Concepts" branch where *your* Jeet Kune Do is different from someone else's based on what works for YOU. Everyone is different -- different bodies, different strengths and weaknesses, different levels of athleticism, speed, strength, different amounts of time to practice, different threats.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    MMA

if you talk to any traditional instructor they will swear that their form is the absolute best. in real life every form has its strenghts and weaknesses. if you take mma you learn a little of every form. keep what works for you and leave the rest. if you look at the beginnings of ufc when it was a bunch of traditional matial forms and todays fighters who know a little of everything there is no question that being competent in everything is better than sticking with 1 form

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Pick something that works for your body type and physical fitness level (both current and what you think you can maintain).

Learn the movements and principles behind the movements.

Learn to apply them based upon your body type and physical fitness level.

Practice practice practice.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I would shoot for a mixture of muay thai, bjj, and some sort of wrestling (freestyle, folkstyle, or greco roman) as all three of these disciplines focus on balance and the proper mindset for a fight. These three seem to be the best way to cover all aspects of a fight as well.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Jeet Kun Do is every style, but no style. Yes, I've read the Tao of JKD. :D I had considered MMA, but I worry they might try to sport it too much. I'm just looking for a "real", dirty, self defense art. Something with no frills, that trains you to deal with real life situations in self defense. I'm starting to do a little research on Krav Maga.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Jeet Kun Do is every style, but no style. Yes, I've read the Tao of JKD. :D I had considered MMA, but I worry they might try to sport it too much. I'm just looking for a "real", dirty, self defense art. Something with no frills, that trains you to deal with real life situations in self defense. I'm starting to do a little research on Krav Maga.

mma does sport it up a bit. you dont learn weapons, you dont bite, you dont gouge, etc.

imo it will teach you more than enough to defend yourself. look up mma legend bas rutten. that is one man you do not want to get into a bar fight with

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    mma does sport it up a bit. you dont learn weapons, you dont bite, you dont gouge, etc.

imo it will teach you more than enough to defend yourself. look up mma legend bas rutten. that is one man you do not want to get into a bar fight with

I agree completely on Bas Rutten. His "Lethal Street Fighting DVD" is one of the best and most informative videos I have ever watched.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I would have to say jeet kun do as well. Its pure brutal efficency. I learned it when I was young and combined it with target fighting. If you have a good instuctor that can spend some one on one time with you you will most likly scare yourself at how dangerous you will become. Its more of teaching adabtation then a specfic art. I like to say its more of unfair fighting then fair fighting :)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I took Tae Kwon Do for 4 years. I learned how to block, kick, and punch. I was a 2nd degree blackbelt. One problem. I only took 2 things away from it. Blocking and punching :D. Seriously the real world applications of kicking. I'm not gonna do a spin kick on a guy who is attacking me. I'm gonna punch him in the face

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I took Tae Kwon Do for 4 years. I learned how to block, kick, and punch. I was a 2nd degree blackbelt. One problem. I only took 2 things away from it. Blocking and punching :D. Seriously the real world applications of kicking. I'm not gonna do a spin kick on a guy who is attacking me. I'm gonna punch him in the face

To you I say this. Why block a strike when you can strike a strike?

Also I do agree the spin kick is not so useful but quick snap kicks and push kicks to knees and archs are very effective.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    We just happen to have someone in IN who is one of the top JKD instructors (under Dan Inosanto and Paul Vunak) and BJJ competitors and instructors (under Wellington 'Megaton' Dias and Royler Gracie) around... Krav Maga is a great choice, too, just not for everyone.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    To you I say this. Why block a strike when you can strike a strike?

Also I do agree the spin kick is not so useful but quick snap kicks and push kicks to knees and archs are very effective.

I guess the bit of Tae Kwon Do that I've retained is that your blocks set you up to counterpunch your attacker. I think I may look into Krav Maga soon.

MuayThaiGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I would suggest Muay Thai as a good choice. It is a very practical striking art and will force you to get into shape.

One of the things that I like most about it is that I can practice almost everything in a ring fight. The ring under pressure is where you really learn what you know and what you don't. This type of pressure where someone is punching you in the face for real teaches you how to deal with attacks and not lose control.:twocents:

Top Bottom