• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle

Has anyone here ever actually used bjj in a real fight? Yeah, I've seen RoyceGracie in the early days, so don't tell me how it works in a cage. In myexperience it is best to never be on the ground for any reason, because that iswhen you get kicked in the face. Even if you’re on top and ground and poundingthis guy, you will lose focus on your surroundings and that’s when you realizeone of his friends or someone decides to help out and rail you with somethingin the back of the head. Same with wrestlers, they seem to always go in for a takedownand sometimes it doesn’t work out too well. I will say they are usually surprisinglystrong and heavy when they are on top of you. My recommendation would be tolearn some stand up and then how to defend yourself from going to the ground.MMA does most of that. I'm not very familiar with krav maga, but from what Iknow it's legit, pretty brutal.

Where are you located?

To the people who have posted. Where do you train at? I'm sure some of you guys could let him come in and try it out for a few sessions.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    We just happen to have someone in IN who is one of the top JKD instructors (under Dan Inosanto and Paul Vunak) and BJJ competitors and instructors (under Wellington 'Megaton' Dias and Royler Gracie) around... Krav Maga is a great choice, too, just not for everyone.

I think I studied with the man you are speaking of. I was going to say Progressive Fighting System, which incorporates aspects of JKD, BJJ, knife fighting, boxing, etc; but if we're talking the same guy (JM), then we're already talking the same thing.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think I studied with the man you are speaking of. I was going to say Progressive Fighting System, which incorporates aspects of JKD, BJJ, knife fighting, boxing, etc; but if we're talking the same guy (JM), then we're already talking the same thing.

That's the guy. And to the poster before you, yes, if he wants to come to Terre Haute (or Champaign, IL), I can definitely get him some free trial lessons.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    JKD is Wing Chun, as that what he studied, mixed with some stuff from Praying Mantis and White Eyebrow, as that he what he read about.:D

I maintain that you should seek the teacher, not the style.

JKD "Concepts", today, under the Inosanto line, is drastically different (much to the chagrin of the OTHER side that you're really talking about...)

Definitely agree about the teacher, though, as opposed to the style.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I took Tae Kwon Do for 4 years. I learned how to block, kick, and punch. I was a 2nd degree blackbelt. One problem. I only took 2 things away from it. Blocking and punching :D. Seriously the real world applications of kicking. I'm not gonna do a spin kick on a guy who is attacking me. I'm gonna punch him in the face
    To you I say this. Why block a strike when you can strike a strike?
    Also I do agree the spin kick is not so useful but quick snap kicks and push kicks to knees and archs are very effective.
    I guess the bit of Tae Kwon Do that I've retained is that your blocks set you up to counterpunch your attacker. I think I may look into Krav Maga soon.

I'm a black belt in TKD but it wasn't the 'traditional' TKD you see in tournaments. We also trained in Krav Maga (Adults only), Jujitsu, Judo, Kempo, Ninjutsu, 'Street Fighting' and others. My training has made me realize how to avoid a fight, and if I'm in one, end it quickly and effectively. I can break most of the major bones in the body, and I can stand my ground. A thing I saw most common in my tournaments was it was about the 'artsy' side of what TKD teaches. Showing off the high flying kicks and spinning, flipping and whatnot. That is useless. I have been involved in martial arts for almost eight years... It is something I would not trade for anything now.

In my experience it is best to never be on the ground for any reason, because that is when you get kicked in the face. Even if you’re on top and ground and pounding this guy, you will lose focus on your surroundings and that’s when you realize one of his friends or someone decides to help out and rail you with something in the back of the head.

^^Exactly right. You don't want to be on the ground. But if you are, you better know what you're doing. Otherwise you'll always end up more damaged.

What everyone has said is important, you have to find something that fits your personality, body type and abilities both now and a good judge of later. If you don't fit in at one school of a certain type, then don't quit that discipline all together... just try somewhere else.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Unfortunately, I'm close to the Chicago Illinois border. I'll be looking for places up there. There's a place, Krav Maga Illinois, that's got good ratings. I think it also offers sample classes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Krav Maga. Tae Kwon Do is great if you like to kick things and spar in tournaments, but in a street fight it's not very useful.

A VERY close second to KM would be any good ground-fighting style like Brazilian jiu jitsu.

This... Krav is ball kick, eye gouge, bite, kick in the balls again, and stomp on neck. honestly, nothing compares in terms of practicality.

Wrestling and BJJ are great fighting sports, but the rules of sports differ drastically when compared to the real word. If a guy who takes me down, he better not be looking for a choke/arm bar/whatever, cause he's going to only have secs before I take chunk out of him with my teeth, try to rip his ear of, or make him a gelding

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Unfortunately, I'm close to the Chicago Illinois border. I'll be looking for places up there. There's a place, Krav Maga Illinois, that's got good ratings. I think it also offers sample classes.

most krav maga places offer sample classes to make sure its what you are looking for, i took krav for 3 years(my avatar is the krav maga logo), the only self defense ive ever taken, i loved it, if i had time i'd still be going to classes
    what do you say about krav maga.....i teaches you how to kick a man in the balls...the right way!...teaches you how to punch, teaches you what to do if you are attacked by someone with a knife or gun, it teaches you how to defend yourself from the ground.... and that you dont want to be on the ground!, gun to the head over a counter, gun to the head if you are sitting in the car and they are reaching in the window

and heres my :twocents: look for a "krav maga world wide" location without playing the politics associated with the whole my krav is better that your krav thing, kmww intructors are trained in los angles and are licensed by kmww, some other krav maga associations are "submut a video" and you are a approved instructor

but if you go, be prepared to sweat, be sore, work hard, and learn how to defend yourself cause you will!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Krav Maga and Kali/Silat.

Edit - Oh... and drop body weight to that which a normal size, non-gluttonous human should weigh. The number of uber-tactical, survivalist, keyboard-commandos who are desperately in need of stomach stapling and cannot do 50 pushups, 10 pullups and climb 5 sets of stairs without going into respiratory distress is truly astounding. Walter Mitty is alive and well in the tacti-cool world. Not directed at OP... you may have a rippling six-pack that makes adolescent girls swoon. I make the statement in general.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I would suggest Muay Thai as a good choice. It is a very practical striking art and will force you to get into shape.

One of the things that I like most about it is that I can practice almost everything in a ring fight. The ring under pressure is where you really learn what you know and what you don't. This type of pressure where someone is punching you in the face for real teaches you how to deal with attacks and not lose control.:twocents:

I did Muay Thai for a couple of years until I lost my job and I would recommend it for anyone. There aren't many pretty poses or fancy kicks just straight up butt woopin when you need to use it.

Indianapolis Martial Arts Club | Muay Thai | Kickboxing | Boxing | Fitness | Self-Defense
    That's my gym, too. I'm l learning quite a lot. I don't know if it's the best, but I feel like it has a very, very fast learning curve to go from knowing nothing to being able to at least have a chance of defending yourself. IOW, I may not know who has a better chance between a karate expert and a muay thai expert, but I'm pretty sure that a 6-month muay thai student is going to be more capable than a 6-month karate student. The muay thai student will probably be in better shape, too.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Edit - Oh... and drop body weight to that which a normal size, non-gluttonous human should weigh. The number of uber-tactical, survivalist, keyboard-commandos who are desperately in need of stomach stapling and cannot do 50 pushups, 10 pullups and climb 5 sets of stairs without going into respiratory distress is truly astounding. Walter Mitty is alive and well in the tacti-cool world. Not directed at OP... you may have a rippling six-pack that makes adolescent girls swoon. I make the statement in general.
    I we talking 5 Stairs, or 5 Stories... :dunno:
    I don't know about the OP but :naughty:
    Soooo...
    You like the idea that he has 6 pack abs... :popcorn:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Oh yeah, this man know what he's talking about! Marrese Crump is one of my favorite guys, he's a lil flashy (due to trying to break into movies), but he knows his craft none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWrWHaWkQcY

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I would like to take a class on just how to effectively take down someone as quickly as possible and inflict the most pain. The MMA stuff yeah sure it hurts but when you get pumped full of adrenaline you aren't going to feel it for a little bit. If I don't have the chance to draw and have to result to physical force I want to know critical areas to hit to bring the bad guy to his knees in agony. I already know a few areas to give a nice hard jab that'll take you to your knees extremely quick... just need a few more.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would like to take a class on just how to effectively take down someone as quickly as possible and inflict the most pain. The MMA stuff yeah sure it hurts but when you get pumped full of adrenaline you aren't going to feel it for a little bit. If I don't have the chance to draw and have to result to physical force I want to know critical areas to hit to bring the bad guy to his knees in agony. I already know a few areas to give a nice hard jab that'll take you to your knees extremely quick... just need a few more.

i can promise you that nomatter how much adrenaline you have running threw you you will feel a armbar, kneebar, etc right away if its applied right. now for a bar fight the ground is not where you want to be. if you have guy a in a armbar guy b is probably kicking you in the teeth, but i promise guy a is done intil you let go

Top Bottom