• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    What's the best m1 carbine out there? No budget in mind, if need be I'll save a little longer. Also, what's a good price point per round for .30 Carbine?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    ANY of the WWII USGI carbines are equal. I wouldn't buy/own any other carbine. Thirty to forty cents a round is a good price, for US made reloadable ammo, but you may have to pay fifty to sixty cents a round as an average price.

Last edited:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Anything USGI, check the barrel and make sure it isn't worn out. One I looked at a while back had served as an M2 Carbine (being full auto) and the barrel was about worn out. If you can buy or borrow a muzzle wear gauge it will help, they aren't expensive. Inland (General Motors) made the most USGI Carbines, and there were several manufacturers (Winchester, Postal Meter, IBM, Saginaw, Underwood, and several others). I own a 1944 Inland and 1943 Postal Meter. Both are great guns and any problems are usually traced back to a bad, commercial magazine.
    I have considered one of the new manufacture rifles but keep seeing negative reviews here on internet land. For the price, you can buy a GI rifle. Import marks lower value a little, but don't hurt the shooter factor (unless it is one of the really nasty, hard pressed Blue Sky marks that may have hurt the barrel, which isn't always the case).
    Ammo :L I just bought some 50 rd boxes of Aguila for $19.99 in Rushville. FMJ 110 gr. and these shoot fine.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Look at the reciever for a proper usgi manufacturer marking. I have seen some built on knock off receivers using GI stocks and parts. I would also avoid the civilian copies as they can be total junk.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You mentioned "no budget in mind". Are you wanting WWII correct or are you wanting a "mix master"? Big difference in price. As was mentioned previously here. G.I is the way to go, just gotta decide WWII correct or mix master.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have you thought about a brand new one from Auto Ordinance? That's what I'd buy if all I wanted was a good shooter. Then again, I'm just not the collecting type...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you are looking for a USGI Carbine, then I think any of them would serve you well. If you are looking for a shooter, there are other options too. One of my carbines is an Iver Johnson that dates to around 1978. Other than the receiver, it's completely USGI and will run all day long without an issue. If you go that route, look for the early Plainfield, NJ built ones as quality dropped off in later years. I have no experience with the current production versions, but there are some being built today that look like they would work well.

It's a shame that the M1 Carbine did not catch on more as they are a fantastic rifle and are just plain fun to shoot. I think they make a decent HD rifle and would not hesitate to grab either of mine (IBM or IJ) for that purpose if the need arose.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I've seen several M1 carbines that James River has refinished and they look amazing.

I have an Underwood that was refinished by James River too, fit and finish is great. On one hand, I wish it had that war patina, but on the other hand, it looks great. It's a parts gun, but has a brand new Criterion barrel, most of the parts were Inland inside (which Underwood used a lot of them to begin with). Just yet to shoot it unfortunately.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    A few other possibilities:

CMP Auction - They have been auctioning their remaining carbines. Yeah, they are pricy; but, no more so than the new made rifles with cast receivers.

Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

CMP Forum - In the WTB section of the CMP forums, folks are selling all variety of carbines form mixers to correct and the prices are fairly reasonable.

M1 Carbine - CMP Forums

Deans Gun Restoration - DGR is a highly respected restorer of US Military rifles. They sold several refurbished carbines recently and their web site says the have more coming.

DGR Firearms For Sale - Dean's Gun Restorations

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Thanks for all the great info! Now to find one that has a good barrel. How much do the criterion barrels cost, and how good are they?

I have a Springfiield M1 Garand with a Criterion barrel, it is nice. Shoots good. I don't know about cost on a Carbine barrel, but I would check out their website.
    http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/m1-carbine
    I have bought stuff from both Fulton and the CMP, good people to deal with and no issues. All that said, I would bet you can find a good one that has plenty of barrel life. Don't let the barrel stamp from the 40's fool you, if it is a good looking bore go for it. I would buy one if it gauges 3 and under, but don't put too much into the reading. Here is a good read and various opinions on muzzle wear gauge and shooting. I'd buy one, shoot and have fun. If you don't like the groups your getting, then look at the barrel replacement.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=141623

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Very Helpful links guys. Thanks!! What should I look to spend average on a USGI?

For a decent USGI. $500-$800 depending on condition and manufacturer and that would be a mix-master at those prices.. You could also look on GB to get an idea of what to expect. Just my :twocents:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Thanks! having a hard time finding any below 800 that aren't repro

Keep an eye on the classifieds here and CMP forum and at the gun shows. I haven't had much luck at the LGS, seem to go a bit too much $$ for them. Also, keep an open ear among friends. I just picked up my 2nd (the Inland) for a good price from a co-worker who I didn't even know had it. It has an import mark, but la-ti-da. I don't care, I'm not looking for a correct collectible. Also, you can get a new walnut stock and handguard from CMP or Boyds, and you can even find the reproduction paratrooper folding stocks. (If you want new stock).

Top Bottom