• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you guys not read the OP?

Member has 4 guns currently. Wants to get rid of 3, keep 1. Wants to know which one he should keep. Asks for opinions.

Shotguns and G22's are valid options, but not what he was asking for.

Silly rabbits!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Keep 2. Never have your life rely on 1 of anything. Have a backup.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN

This is a good point...one which I am totally not following right now.

Of the attempts at picking one of the five guns, I thought this was the best answer:

Discarding the .25 cals.

Which of the others do you shoot the best?
    Which one feels better in your hand?
    Which of your guns are you the most confident with?

What I'm getting at is they are your guns and you know how they perform. .45, .357, & .40 are all hands down great defensive calibers with their own pros/cons. Go with what works for you. Good Luck.

.25's just not enough, so it's down to the other three. Of them, which one are you the most comfortable with, familiar with, and the best shot with? If the answer's your .357, I would think you're better off with that than any other others.

Now, if you're equally comfortable with all of them, have put lots of rounds downrange with all of them so your muscle memory is there, then I would pick the USP -- best combination of powerful round + number of rounds.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I am no expert, but as the others have said, the one you are most comfortable shooting. I guess I would look at it this way, if I were awakened by a loud crash in the house and had all of them on the nightstand, which would I want to grab first?

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    My opinion only. The .25 is too small unless up close and personal. The .357 miss will penetrate into another room. Keep the .45 and the .40 and practice with both of them once a month minimum.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Just my .02. I know we are all combat (high stress) tested and can double tap to the CNS from 15 yards all day and especially in the dark of night. I would be cautious of the penetrating power of some of these systems we are suggesting. Think about your babies in the next room or two rooms over with nothing between your muzzle and them but a couple of sheets of drywall.

I know this is not popular (or at least well received here) but, a home defense shotgun loaded with#4 buck is what I have at hand. As was stated, there is nothing like the sound of a pump action racking. You can pick up one for way less than the price of a handgun.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    All these poest and not one questioned why he wants to downsize. You all ready got them, keep them. If you have to just keep one, the .45 is your best option.

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    IMHO, you have not given enough details for me to make an informed choice. Are you married or live with a significant other? If so, unless you two are glued at the hip, that MAY may have bearing on your decision. If so, is this person proficient (or at least comfortable) with any of these. One of my handguns is solely in place for my wife's benefit when I'm not home. It is a .32 long Smitty revolver that doesn't intimidate her. Additionally, since she doesn't share my enthusiasm for iron, it is simplicity at it's best. Pull trigger - gun go boom. I travel extensively and there are no kids in the house.

Everyone's situation is somewhat different. My advice is to look at all the relevant factors (if you haven't already) before deciding. I definitely concur with the reply posted earlier regarding having at least two.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I agree with you r3126, but the poster did not ask for any options other than what he had

Don't want to start a flame here but, I didn't think I was posing on option. The operant phrase was "...is what I have at hand." I was only stating a fact.

On second thought, maybe my words were not well phrased.

sellagogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Thanks for the imput..I really like my 45 Para..although I never considered a pump shotgun...Food for thought..

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Hahaha, voice of reason!

Rep'd

+1, keep the Para .45 and the .40 USP, one as a primary HD and one as a BUG. As far as which gun for which purpose, that is for you to decide. Put the foot you step surest with forward. But you need two feet to walk.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Oh, and by the way, you may regret selling off guns. Even if you're replacing them. You'll regret it, I always do. I understand selling them in a pinch, but I always seem to wish I still had them. I sold a S&W Model 15 K-frame .38 special snub-nose revolver at a gun show to help soften the blow of buying a new Sig, but in retrospect, wish I would've just bought the Sig without selling the S&W. I kind of miss having a revolver now, and I could've just had one from the start.

Top Bottom