• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Indiana is looking into making standard rifle calibers legal for deer real soon. So you might keep that in mind.

As far as which gun is best depends on the location (deep woods, open fields etc.) A shot gun will do the job but has a limited range. Muzzle loaders offer a longer season. You can also get an AR in .458 Socom or .450 bushmaster. Those are legal in Indiana right now.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I love the prospect of Indiana allowing rifle, though it comes with a bit of concern of me getting shot from neighboring public land... That aside, I have had tremendous results out of an 870 with a rifled barrel and Remington Copper solid sabot slugs.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There is no blanket answer for "the best". It competently depends on your area, competence with a rifle, money you want to spend, results you wish to obtain.

Its just like rifle caliber's, if anyone ever comes up with a "best caliber" they will be a millionaire many times over.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Same logic applies that I suggest to my rookie pistol classes, not that you are a rookie :)... Biggest caliber you can shoot accurately, and in this case, is accepted by DNR.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    To best answer your question I would need to know how you hunt ? But in my case I use a Rem. 11-87 slug gun for in the woods around thickets but field edges I use a muzzleloader for longer range "open area shot" like shooting across or into fields.. So it really depends on how your intending on hunting ?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Go with what you shoot best.
    Muzzleloaders have the advantage of a longer hunting season.
    Given the choice between a shotgun and a modern rifle (Indiana imposes limitations on what caliber you can use for the latter), I'd go with the rifle because you'll generally get better accuracy.
    You can basically circumvent the rifle limitations if you were to get a T/C Encore and the barrel chambered in the caliber of your choice, which could include the likes of .308, .30-06, or even .45-70 or .300 Weatherby.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd say something like a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor...but this state is still stuck in a backwater "rifle hunters gonna kill each others and innocents and all the deers because they shoot EVERYTHING!!11!" mentality.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I agree with Alan...there is no "best". Your hunting skills (woodsmanship), knowing your firearm's limitations (and your own limitations), and being proficient with it, is far more important.

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I switched from a shotgun to a .44 caliber H&R heavy barrel handi-rifle. Even though it is a single shot, it is deadly accurate and had dropped each deer I have shot. It was pretty inexpensive, I think around 200.00. It has almost zero kick so even if the regs change in indiana I will probably still keep it as a woods gun.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    .243 Winchester, I really like its flat shooting capabilities. In Indiana I use a 20ga, or 44mag.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd like to convert a Ruger #1 to .35 Remington.
    Have a Contender running the trimmed to legal round.

Paid for, shoots well..........no reason to change other than I prefer a falling block.

Single shots work, but I think on areas where you do drives, a repeater to be possibly better.

No a fan of lever guns.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd like to convert a Ruger #1 to .35 Remington.
    Have a Contender running the trimmed to legal round.

Paid for, shoots well..........no reason to change other than I prefer a falling block.

Single shots work, but I think on areas where you do drives, a repeater to be possibly better.

No a fan of lever guns.

You realize that you can legally shoot deer in Indiana with that contender firing the full length .35 Remington, just as long as you're not shooting the rifle version, right?
    Matter of fact, you can legally do it with any rifle caliber out of a handgun, up to and including .50 BMG or .700 Nitro Express, assuming you can find a custom barrel and are able to tolerate that kind of recoil.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know the rules.

You might want to re-read them yourself............since there is a handgun cartridge spec.
    1.16" min case length...........and .243 min bullet dia.

Not all rifle cartridges fit that spec.

Some may fit the spec but are called out specifically as a "no go".......example: 30 carbine (there are others).

FWIW I prefer wheelguns (iron sighted) for handgunning deer.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like Marlin levers with low power scopes, 45 LC best if you reload, 44 mag if you don't.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While a MZ may extend your season............it's still a MZ.
    I find them to be too much of a hassle now that I'm older and more cranky.
    Used scoped inlines and iron sighted side hammers to great success in the past.
    If I want to go late season I just grab my bow.
    Rifle is the way to go IMHO.
    Still wouldn't mind a 7600 in .35 Rem ;)

Top Bottom