• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I don't concern myself with all the chatter, stats, tests and crap. Choose a round, train smart and stick with it. Ignore the internet chatter and marketing ads.
    The only data Wild Bill Hickok had was a body count of bad guys who were shot with well placed rounds.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Which do you shoot accurately the fastest? Ideally, that's the one you should carry. I understand sometimes circumstances dictate not carrying what you shoot best. That can range from employer policy to activity appropriate clothing. I don't carry my Sig when I'm jogging. There's just no practical way to do so.

I would be very hesitant to stop carrying a gun I'm better with because of ease of carry. Experiment with different holsters, carry belts, etc, and you'll find something that clicks for you. I spent over a year working IT carrying a concealed full sized 1911 and no one at the company knew. It can be done.

You know you a lot better than I know you. Can you shoot the snubby quickly and accurately at 15 yards and in? Can you do so on the move? Can you do so against a moving target? Snubs are hard to shoot, especially for newer shooters or those who don't practice often (not saying either applies to you, just as a general statement). Short sight radius, long and stiff trigger, marginal sights, it just doesn't add up to a easy to master package. You know, or can know, if you can shoot it well enough to rely on to save your life.

If you have access to a shot timer (or you have a smart phone and can get a timer app), than you can test and see for yourself if you have access to a range that will let you fire from the holster, move around, etc. like at an IDPA match. IDPA tends to have more targets and longer course of fire than 'real world' shootings because real world shootings would be boring for competition. Set up two targets. Go to the 7 yard line. Time yourself on holster from two shots on one target. Same with two targets, two shots on each. Move back 3 yards and repeat. Move back 3 yards and repeat. Go back to the 7. Put two on one target while stationary, put two on the other while moving. Move back 3 yards and repeat. Move back 3 yards and repeat.

While not flashy, this is a pretty good representation of an "average" gun fight. This doesn't take much ammo. It doesn't take much time. It is enlightening. You'll start to see where in your draw stroke you aren't smooth. You'll see if you are getting good hits, you'll see how long followup shots take, etc. You will then have real, observable, and measurable data to support the answer of "is this a gun I should carry to defend my own life?" If you can honestly say "yes" to the snub, then carry it if you choose.

THANKS!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I read a lot about carrying what you shoot best. I agree, but how does one know? Do you have to keep buying guns and then shoot them for a few thousand rounds to see?

I would think that some people are in the same position that I am in and can only afford to buy once or maybe twice. Then how long do I practice before I say whether I can shoot it well? How much practice does it take before I can say that I shoot one better than the other? After 500 rounds? 1000? 5000?

I am looking for a EDC firearm that I will indeed carry often. I doubt that I would be able to shoot something like a Shield or a PPK as good as a full size pistol, even with practice. But I do think I could become proficient enough with one to carry it confidently.

If I strictly follow the carry what I shoot best I figure I have two options;

1. Shoot my carry piece all the time no matter what kind of event/competition I enter. Or no matter what my carry piece is.
    2. Don't carry. (I know myself enough to know that I won't be shoving a full size pistol in between my pants and my body for all day carry.)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I believe in carrying and shooting what you're comfortable with! Shots on target will always beat missed shots...regardless of your caliber and experience.

That being said...I've always sort of dissed 9mm's...as I grew up on .357's and they just feel 'soft' to me! However, being that my wife shoots 9mm MUCH better than .40, .357, and .45....I've gravitated towards 9mm as a CC round lately...such that the wife and I can CC the same caliber and mags! For some reason, CCing the same caliber and mags just makes sense to me for when we are out-n-about togther!

Five (5) years ago, a guy in my neighborhood got himself shot by LEO's because, during a drunken domestic complaint, he pulled and pointed a gun at officers on scene and promptly got plowed twice in the chest by a .45 at close range...and lived! FWPD's past few shootings...were single 9mm's to center mass which resulted in the BG being killed. I know the 'bigger-is-better' theory is out there...but I can tell you in real life, that isn't always true.

Since I prefer 'hotter' ammo (comfort thing)...I CC 124 grain JHP +P+'s...and the wife CC's Hornady 124 grain JHP XTP's! I like a little more 'snap' when I shoot...and the wife likes less felt recoil.

Interestingly enough...I've shot the crap outta cars at junkyards, in the past, and have witnessed 147 grain JHP 9mm's ricochet off windshields...whereas the .45 acp just plows right on through everything! So who really knows which round is 'best'?

I do know this...if you're comfortable with your gun...and can hit whatever you're shooting at with it...you're probably in a good position to be able to defend yourself with it adequately...and I believe that that is still the most important thing!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Not impressed by the .50gi, but that's just me. I bet the penetration w/ jhp is terrible...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom