• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Triangle liquors in valpo has their whole line

I was going by their website's locator. But if you want to buy a bottle and bring it to the clubhouse for the Drew Estates event, I'd be willing to buy it from you in a legal "face to face" transfer between citizens of good character who are not legally forbidden from buying or selling bourbon.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I found a mini bottle of this left by the previous owner of my house.
    PonderosaRanch3.jpg
    PonderosaRanch4.jpg
    PonderosaRanch5.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Taking another stab at JOURNEYMAN BOURBON. This has historically been my least liked brand of the bunch.

Dispensing with a comparison, dispensing with my traditions, just poured about an ounce and a half into a glass, tossed in a single ice cube, let the cube melt down about half way, swirled it around, took a sip and its just nasty crap. It hits the front of the mouth with an off taste. Its harsh, it burns, and it tastes bad.

Save this stuff for your Mother-in-Law. Give it to her straight up. Or over ice. But don't mix it into a sugary sweet drink, a mint julep or some mixed concoction that will hide the awful flavor of this brand. Just serve it to her. Let her know what you think of her, without speaking a word.

Just my opinion, yours may be different. But if it is, then you either love your mother-in-law or you are crazy . . . but I repeat myself.

Anyone tried Border?

I passed through an airport near the distillery and picked up a few jugs, but have yet to break a seal.

Never heard of it, and it looks like its very difficult to find. Keep us informed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    We sold a townhouse that we fixed up and flipped so I had to move a bunch of furniture today that was in the townhouse before the closing. I'm just a little bit sore after loading the truck, moving the furniture, and unloading the truck. Got home and poured a little nip of SWEET LUCY.

Unlike real bourbon, which by definition, must be no less than 80 proof, SWEET LUCY is only 70 proof. Its a liqueur, similar to Wild Turkey's American Honey or some of the other "flavored" bourbons. But what is different about SWEET LUCY is that it is harder to pin down to a specific flavor. So while Jack Daniels, Evan Williams, Wild Turkey, etc all make Honey, or Cherry, or whatever flavored bourbon liqueurs, the SWEET LUCY is a traditional drink from the south, which is based on various family recipes where fruit juices are mixed with bourbon.

imagejpg1_zps409fbef1.jpg

Personally I find SWEET LUCY a bit sweet too my palate. Its probably the wrong drink for an evening drink, its more suited to an afternoon BBQ during a party, or for sipping around the swimming pool, etc. Its got a semi-citrus, but very sweet, taste to it, and in the mouth its very syrupy and smooth. There is no burn in the throat or in the belly, nor is there any tingle in the mouth. Maybe you could call this a beginner's bourbon? But it really is not that, its more like a 'mixed bourbon drink' that comes pre-mixed in the bottle.

If you want something EASY to drink, if you favor syrupy sweet and smooth to harsh or spicy, if your drinking is often at the side of a pool, during parties or celebrations while having a BBQ, then this is probably a great drink to try. Its not a serious bourbon. But SWEET LUCY has its place on the shelf.

ryancantshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    The City
    More into scotch than American bourbon but I drink American bourbon all the time.

Mostly because it is incomprehensible to me how Elijah Craig can sell their 12 year old for $25 and Buffalo Trace can sell theirs for $20.

The best value proposition in booze by a long distance for my money ^^.

If I'm spending more than 25 bucks a bottle I'm getting a peated scotch whisky, don't know anything about top shelf bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Later this evening I'll be comparing some Jim Beam Signature Craft and some Wild Turkey FORGIVEN.

More into scotch . . .

If I'm spending more than 25 bucks a bottle I'm getting a peated scotch whisky, don't know anything about top shelf bourbon.

I go to Scotland on a pretty regular basis. Peated scotch whisky is certainly an acquired taste. Some of them taste like they literally filtered them through a peat bog and added in some topsoil. But I won't argue that it isn't a great drink.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Later this evening I'll be comparing some Jim Beam Signature Craft and some Wild Turkey FORGIVEN.

The heck with a report on these two bourbons.

I've reviewed both before.

I loved both before.

I still love them.

FORGIVEN has a bit more spice, but not much more than SIGNATURE CRAFT. And the spice hits you in a different way with each. Buy either one, you won't regret it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wife and I went to COSTCO today, saw this for $18.99. Normally I'd pass it by, but it had as sign listing its awards. That intrigued me. So I stopped and looked.

Evan Williams "SINGLE BARREL VINTAGE RESERVE"

WHISKEY OF THE YEAR - The Spirit Journal
    DOMESTIC WHISKY OF THE YEAR - Malt Advocate
    SPIRIT OF THE YEAR, BOURBON CATEGORY - Wine & Spirits Buying Guide
    SPIRIT OF THE YEAR, AMERICAN WHISKEY CATEGORY - Food & Wine
    TOP SPIRITS OF THE YEAR, BEST AMERICAN WHISKEY - Wine & Spirits Buying Guide

Looking forward to this evening and trying it. I did crack the seal for a sniff. The brief whiff I got was very promising.

Bottle says it was casked in 2004, so I'm guessing this is aged 9 to 10 years in charred oak.

1evanwmssinglebarrel_zpsd597bbfd.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Tonight is EVAN WILLIAMS 1783 versus the new EVAN WILLIAMS SINGLE BARREL VINTAGE RESERVE.

These two bourbons are identical in color, both are a nice rich brown amber.

The 1783 is 'ok' if a bit thin in both aroma and flavor. Its got some mouth tingle and some burn in the belly. The flavor, before the tingle starts, is pretty mild and not particularly complex in any noticeable way.

The SINGLE BARREL VINTAGE RESERVE, referred to as "single barrel" from now on, hits your mouth and immediately you get mouth tingle, it has some peppery spice, but that is overwhelmed by the tingle and that translates to a substantial burn as it goes down. When it hits bottom, the burn continues in the belly. Another sip, more burn. I do not like this bourbon straight. Switching back to the 1783 and the simplicity of flavor returns but the intense burn is also gone and most of the mouth tingle is also gone, so it is a much easier to drink bourbon than the SINGLE BARREL offering from Evan Williams.

Dropping a single ice cube in each and allowing them to mostly melt.

Water it down a little bit and all of a sudden the SINGLE BARREL is tamed down like into a pleasant drink. Its burn is all but gone, the mouth tingle is eliminated, there is plenty of peppery taste, with a hint of sweetness on the tip of the tongue. This has changed from a drink that I disliked straight to a drink that I can easily enjoy over rocks. In fact I like it very much.

The 1783 with a melted cube didn't change much but was just a bit more watered down. A bit thinner in flavor. Its mild burn still exists and its pepper flavors are enhanced.

Basically I'd say the 1783 is generally a good mixer, its inexpensive and unremarkable. Want a Mint Julep or any other drink and this would be a fine choice that won't break your budget.

Now the Evan Williams SINGLE BARREL VINTAGE RESERVE is an interesting bourbon. Its cheap, at $18.99 a bottle at Costco. Its harsh and miserable to drink straight with some severe mouth tingle, throat burn which is followed by a fire in the belly. But when you water it down a bit well that is when the magic happens. The flavors become subtle, the tingle vanishes completely, there is no burn in the throat and the belly is only lightly warmed. Its a very good drink once its been lightly diluted with a cube or two of ice. What was bad is now good, perhaps very good. If you like your bourbon 'neat' then this is not your bourbon … unless you also like it harsh with substantial burn. But if you like it with a bit of ice, or a bit of water, then this is a great value. At $19 a bottle its hard to pass up, I presume there is a similar variant that is available at stores that are not named COSTCO but I don't know the price. Its certainly cheap enough, and it would probably make a good mixer bourbon, it makes a good bourbon over ice, but honestly I can NOT recommend it straight, its just too harsh.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For tonight I've decided to come back to the brand new EVAN WILLIAMS SINGLE BARREL VINTAGE RESERVE and pair it up to one of my all time favorites, the WILD TURKEY FORGIVEN. And just to be clear, the offering from Wild Turkey is not a true bourbon, its a bourbon blended with rye, apparently by mistake, but when tasted, the distiller said the mistake was 'forgiven' and hence the name.

Colors of both drinks are a dark rich amber. The SINGLE BARREL offers a more complex aroma than the FORGIVEN but the scents are not easily identifiable.

No need to repeat everything I wrote yesterday about the SINGLE BARREL yesterday. Its the same today.

But the FORGIVEN, if you need a reminder, is a wonderful drink neat. It has some burn but its not objectionable. Its got a great rich flavor although to the nose it is not as complex as the SINGLE BARREL. Still, given the option, when drinking it neat, there is only one choice between these two, and that choice is the FORGIVEN.

So speeding up to the second half of the comparison I've dropped ice into each glass.

With the single ice cube melted into the FORGIVEN the flavors have become sharper and notes of pepper are present. The burn is still present too, but again, its still not objectionable. This is just a darn good drink, and with ice its crisp and sharp flavored but not at all harsh in the mouth and only a bit warming in the belly.

Switching to the SINGLE BARREL and the single cube has completely melted but today I didn't drink as much before I placed the cube in the glass so today we have a somewhat less diluted solution. Even though it is stronger than yesterday its still very good slightly diluted. Oh the burn is there, and it hits pretty hard. I'd prefer a bit more water mixed with this brand. But the flavors are very very good, complex, changing from front to back of mouth, none being objectionable. This is a very very good bourbon when diluted a bit.

Honestly I don't know which bourbon I like better. WILD TURKEY FORGIVEN is awesome straight and pretty darn good with ice. Clearly I prefer it straight. EVAN WILLIAMS SINGLE BARREL VINTAGE RESEVE is still an undrinkable beast served up straight but when lightly diluted with an ice cube its an excellent bourbon. Does it end up near the top of my list of "Best Bourbons Under $50" well yes its "near" the top, but no its not at the top. I think, overall, the "FORGIVEN" is a bit better because its much better neat, even if its not as good with ice. So I'd have to say that the FORGIVEN beats out the SINGLE BARREL but I'd also have to admit that the FORGIVEN is not a true bourbon but rather is a bourbon blend, which makes it a whiskey, by definition.

That said, I added a second ice cube to the remainder of the Evan Williams Single Barrel and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Just got a bottle of this as a gift. About $24.00 and pretty good. Aged 8 years and 90 proof.

brbon_buc1.jpg
    Looked up a review of that and its a 'private label' brand with an origin that is unknown!

But the review was very good. Saying it is a great drinking bourbon, easy to drink, fantastic value.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For whatever it is worth, if anyone sees these SPECIFIC bottles of bourbon in NORTHWEST INDIANA (Lake/Porter Counties) please let me know:

W.L. Weller 12
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
    Jefferson OCEAN: Aged at Sea
    Widow Jane
    Hancocks Presidents Reserve

The Sandman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Lafayette
    Great thread, have been following this and trying to keep track of some to try in the future. Found this at CVS when picking up a bottle of Jack.

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/bourbon-whiskey-reviews/big-house-bourbon-review/

Wondered if anyone else has tried/liked it. I mainly got it because it is made in Lawrenceburg, see if us Hoosiers can make a decent Bourbon. :rockwoot: Most sites I read give decent reviews for the price range it's in (about $20). I'm no connoisseur but it had a nice flavor with a light burn on the bottom, mellowed a bit with a splash of water in it. I think I preferred the flavor neat. Nice enough to share with company.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Myself and another INGO'er visited Jim Beam, Heaven Hill, and Maker's Mark today. I sampled Baker's, Jim Beam Signature Craft, Elijah Craig 12 year, Bernheim, Larceny, Maker's White, Maker's Mark, Maker's Mark Overmatured, and Maker's 46. Of all those, the next bottle on my shopping list will be the Baker's, followed by 46, and Elijah Craig 12 year. Everything we tried today was good, but those three stood out.

Top Bottom