• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    As you mentioned, I am really enjoying the 1783 mixed with Coke. Still working on finding my favorite straight bourbon though. We're planning on making another trip down to the trailer in a month or two. It's always a fun trip and a great way to try out some bourbon I'd might not pay bottle price to see if I like back home.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As you mentioned, I am really enjoying the 1783 mixed with Coke. Still working on finding my favorite straight bourbon though. We're planning on making another trip down to the trailer in a month or two. It's always a fun trip and a great way to try out some bourbon I'd might not pay bottle price to see if I like back home.
    I'm planning another go at the 1783, for the price it is a great bourbon value. Its easy to drink and has a good flavor, and its the cheapest bottle I've got in the cabinet. Hard to beat that combination of lower price and good taste. Perhaps not complex, perhaps not interesting, but I'll take easy to drink and enjoyable pretty much any day.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've made my selection for sipping during tonights movie.

Going back to the Beer Barrel Bourbon, I think that may be my favorite so far. Comparing it to the inexpensive Evan Williams 1783. Both are the same color, in fact so close to each other that you can't tell them apart if they are sitting in glasses on the table.

The aroma from each is also very similar???

I'm beginning to think tonight is going to be a bad comparison. I know with cigars that the food you eat before smoking a cigar will affect the taste of the cigar. Well we just a big dinner of garlic marinated BBQ Leg of Lamb with mint jelly, Caesar Salad, creamed potatoes, and sautéed mushrooms & onions. Followed that with a couple freshly baked Heath Bar/Chocolate Chip cookies. So I'm thinking my taste buds are on overload tonight and my comparison is not going to be very discerning.

The first few sips of the Beer Barrel Bourbon don't disappoint. Nice and smooth. Switching over to the Evan Williams 1783 and that hits the mouth nice and sweet but its neither as interesting nor as smooth as the Beer Barrel Bourbon. Not saying I don't like it, just saying that when you have two bourbons that you like, there are still differences that can be discerned.

Dropping in a single cube seems like a mistake because both of these bourbons are just fine to drink straight.

Evan's 1783 is simply not as good over ice. It tastes watered down and given that its good, but not very complex to begin with, the lack of complexity simply gives you a watered down simple flavor as the ice melts.

Ice in the Beer Barrel Bourbon changes it pretty dramatically, which I had noticed in prior tasting. And not really in a good way. This stuff is so good straight there is little reason to water it down and plenty of reason NOT to pour it over ice.

Tonight's winner remains the Beer Barrel Bourbon, which pretty much cements its place at the top of my list (so far & subject to change).

And I have to say, with the heavy dinner of strong flavors, the food has definitely influenced tonights testing. Honestly don't think I could pick up much of the subtleties in the bourbons tonight because of the influence of the food.
    NOTE TO SELF: Wait an hour or two after dinner or eat a meal without such strong flavors before next week's bourbon testing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Did some yard work today, set some fence posts out along the farm field, pruned some trees, knocked down and hauled a bunch of deadfall to the burn piles, generally wore out my body so I figured I needed a reward.

Took a small glass, added a few ice cubes and poured about an ounce, maybe ounce-and-a-half of JOURNEYMAN's Bourbon.

This is my second try of this bourbon and it confirms the first try, I just don't much like this brand. Its somewhat harsh, somewhat astringent in the mouth and has somewhat of a burn, even when the ice is fully melted. Can you say MIXER? This bourbon is not something that I want to drink straight, not something I want to drink over ice. Cover up the harsh bits of flavor with something else and it might be an appropriate way to drink this bourbon?

Honestly I can't say that I can find anything good about this one. Not anything. If you like it then please chime in with whatever I am missing, but I can't seem to find a way to compliment this product.

Bottom of the heap, by a wide margin: JOURNEYMAN'S BOURBON

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Did some yard work today, set some fence posts out along the farm field, pruned some trees, knocked down and hauled a bunch of deadfall to the burn piles, generally wore out my body so I figured I needed a reward.

Took a small glass, added a few ice cubes and poured about an ounce, maybe ounce-and-a-half of JOURNEYMAN's Bourbon.

This is my second try of this bourbon and it confirms the first try, I just don't much like this brand. Its somewhat harsh, somewhat astringent in the mouth and has somewhat of a burn, even when the ice is fully melted. Can you say MIXER? This bourbon is not something that I want to drink straight, not something I want to drink over ice. Cover up the harsh bits of flavor with something else and it might be an appropriate way to drink this bourbon?

Honestly I can't say that I can find anything good about this one. Not anything. If you like it then please chime in with whatever I am missing, but I can't seem to find a way to compliment this product.

Bottom of the heap, by a wide margin: JOURNEYMAN'S BOURBON

I must concur. We tried this brand at a liquor tasting a couple of months ago. I am no expert, but I do know what I like and dont like. This falls to the do not like side. Currently working my way through a bottle of Rebel Yell. Not a fan straight but with some ice, I really do like it. I will be buying more in the future (next time it goes on sale)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have not tried the Rebel Yell. My goal was to stick mostly with the small distilleries, I've deviated a bit from that. But I'm still trying to focus on them, even if I compare the small distiller offerings to some big brands.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm not from the "South" but now that Melen goes to college in North Carolina I'm learning more about the culture. In the south there is a drink called a SWEET LUCY, which has no real recipe, but instead has 1000 different recipes as families tended to alter the recipe to suite their own tastes.

Basically you take a nice bourbon and mix it with something like Peach Brandy, Apricot Brandy or some other fruit liqueur or a blend of several fruit liqueurs. Commonly found in duck blinds and deer camps and used as a celebratory after(?) hunt drink.

There is now a commercially made Bourbon Liqueur named SWEET LUCY ($27.99 / bottle), its a little lower in alcohol than regular Bourbon, bottled at only 70 Proof. I'll be trying it tonight, probably comparing it to Wild Turkey's American Honey, which is also 70 Proof and therefore not a true Bourbon, which must be a minimum of 80 Proof and consequently is labeled a Bourbon Liqueur.

Picked this bottle up on my way home today:
    imagejpg1_zps409fbef1.jpg

Nice to see the purchase also supports charity:
    imagejpg2_zps78caf9d6.jpg

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Aroma of the American Honey is sweet and the scent of honey is detected. The SWEET LUCY has a bit more of a traditional bourbon aroma but its also sweet to the nose.

Trying both of them at room temperature, the SWEET LUCY is interesting, its sweet but not too sweet, and I can't really pin down what the fruit flavor is? Apricot maybe? Not really sure. But its very smooth, no tingle, no burn. In comparison the AMERICAN HONEY is a bit too sweet, and it is very 'syrupy' feeling in your mouth, but its also not as smooth as the SWEET LUCY as it has a touch of spice to it and a bit of burn, but nothing objectionable. Neither of these is as serious as regular bourbons. My favorite way to drink the Wild Turkey AMERICAN HONEY is to add a shot of it to a bit of warmed apple juice. The ratio would be 2 oz apple juice to 1 oz American Honey. But today, for this comparison, the warmed apple juice is omitted because I want compare these drinks the same way as I compare and test regular bourbons.

I dropped some ice into each glass and both of these drinks are better chilled. Either would probably would be a great summer drink on the rocks while outdoor grilling some meat. I think I prefer the SWEET LUCY over ice, but honestly I really enjoy the AMERICAN HONEY mixed into some warmed apple juice; it is a wonderful late evening drink while you are sitting and relaxing, reading a book or before bedtime.

Just to try something a bit different, and only because this is not "real" bourbon, I also added some Ginger Ale to each of these. The mix was about 50%-50%. The SWEET LUCY + Ginger Ale was excellent together. Again in the summer heat this would be a great drink by the BBQ. Switching over to the AMERICAN HONEY + Ginger Ale and I was a bit disappointed. The syrupy AMERICAN HONEY didn't really mix too well with the Ginger Ale. It was still very sweet, in fact it might have actually gotten sweeter? And it seemed to feel more syrupy to the mouth after the addition of the Ginger Ale.

I have to say that when Iced, or when mixed with Ginger Ale, I'd favor the SWEET LUCY as a drink.

But I've got a soft spot in my heart for warm apple juice + AMERICAN HONEY.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Who's in for an intervention for melensdad? Lol

Thanks for all of the reviews, I've got a few to try next time I hit the liquor store. :yesway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Who's in for an intervention for melensdad? Lol

The intervention I need is to stop me from BUYING this stuff.

When I drink it I do it in moderation, on the weekends, and with only about 1 to 1.5 ounces of each bourbon. For my personal pleasure I may take an ounce or so, with warm apple juice (30 seconds in the microwave) in the evening, a couple nights a week.

But I've got a serious 'buying' problem. I stop at the store, I see 3 things I'd like to try, and I buy 1. Then I go back, buy another, etc. So I have bottles with only a few ounces gone. But I have managed to resiste some of the more rare and expensive bottles. Trying to stay with the theme of UNDER $50 as per this thread.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    If you are fond of American Honey, I suggest Drambuie or Barenjager. By far the best honeyed liqours I've tried. Drambuie is honeyed Scotch. Barenjager coats your entire windpipe in a warm, Germanic embrace with a slightly syrupy feel.
    Drambuie_7(1).jpg
    242362-barenjager.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Tonight is movie night at the house and the choice of movies is 12 Years A Slave. I have no desire to watch the move. But I'm also not really wanting to do a Bourbon comparison test either so I'm opting for a simple single Bourbon review.

Poured about 1.5 ounces of pride of Indianapolis "SPRING MILL" Bourbon into a glass. Maybe if I simply tip the whole thing back and down it in one swallow I won't stay awake to watch the movie that is about to start?

Took a sip and it definitely tingles in the mouth and has a distinct alcohol burn all the way down. I didn't recall it being THIS harsh the first time I tried it. This is only my second nip at the bottle.

Well the flavor of SPRING MILL is very good but with that said I find the experience of drinking it neat is unpleasant. Too bad, this really tastes good but the alcohol burn that starts at the front of the mouth and travels all the way through until it hits your stomach ruins the experience. If only it was smoother. I find myself alternating between sipping water and sipping from the small glass of SPRING MILL, needing the water to calm down the sharpness of this Bourbon.

I'm really torn in this little taste test. Do I like it? Or not?

Well I like the flavor!!! This is a good tasting bourbon.

But I dislike the harshness of this bourbon, its simply not smooth enough to sip neat. Probably should have dropped an ice cube into the glass to re-test it with some ice, or may just poured a bit of my water into the glass. I'm too lazy to cross the house to the kitchen to get the cube and my wife will be upset if I spill the water, so I'm going to have to judge this Bourbon as a good, but not great Bourbon. Its far superior to the Journeyman's bourbon, for which I can't really find anything good to say. But it could be better.

EDIT:

About 55 minutes have passed since I wrote the above notes about the Spring Mill and a movie that I don't want to watch is playing in my living room. Hey, I'm a "comedy" and/or "action/adventure" guy. If its a Sci-Fi "action/adventure" that is even better. Oh I even enjoy a good historical documentary about Ancient Rome or English monarchs. But 12 Years A Slave is a drama. Just not a genre I care to watch.

So I poured a single shot of from the bottle of WILLETT POT STILL to try to numb my mind. Probably should have poured more -a whole lot more, that, or shot myself in the head. There is simply no way I will make it through the end of this movie. I don't care if it won an Oscar, its just too boring for me.

The WILLETT POT STILL is a moderately smooth bourbon, one that is often rated well on the interwebs, but its not super smooth and still has a bite. I find it smoother than the SPRING MILL, but not as flavorful as the SPRING MILL. It tingles in the mouth but is not too sharp. And it burns a bit on the way down, but not as much as some others. That said, it simply doesn't have the wonderful flavor of the SPRING MILL. I'd clearly say that I prefer the lesser known Indianapolis made Bourbon to this nationally known brand.

And now to try to enjoy the rest of the movie. Maybe I should try another shot of bourbon to ease the pain that this movie imparts? Or maybe there is a Gilligan's Island re-run on TV that I can find in another room of the house, certainly that would be better than enduring this drama flick.

. . . can't take it anymore, I'm off to find some old Gilligan's Island re-runs, or some other suitable substitute.​

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The intervention I need is to stop me from BUYING this stuff.

When I drink it I do it in moderation, on the weekends, and with only about 1 to 1.5 ounces of each bourbon. For my personal pleasure I may take an ounce or so, with warm apple juice (30 seconds in the microwave) in the evening, a couple nights a week.

But I've got a serious 'buying' problem. I stop at the store, I see 3 things I'd like to try, and I buy 1. Then I go back, buy another, etc. So I have bottles with only a few ounces gone. But I have managed to resiste some of the more rare and expensive bottles. Trying to stay with the theme of UNDER $50 as per this thread.

This is how I have acquired my collection. Most are under 50 but I have 2 from Colorado that were slightly over the 50 mark. I also have 3 bottles of Crown XR that blow the 50 mark out of the water. But most bottles only have a couple of ounces missing. I also like to keep on hand a second bottle of it is harder to find or a favorite.

*Edit, blinds in windows are not open as much as shown, needed a bit of light for the camera in my phone to get a decent picture.
    This is the result of trying different brands (and it isn't the whole collection :-/ ):
    IMG_20140209_145145_zpstphrtefs.jpg

IMG_20140119_142019_zpsjgi1hlot.jpg

Better view of bottom row:
    IMG_20140118_171854_zpshrngoe3h.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I see the Eagle Rare on your bottom shelf. Its one that I've wanted to try. How about a review of that Bourbon?

Oh, and that white bottle full of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Cider is one of my favorites. Evan Williams makes a very similar product too, its actually a bit better than Jack's Cider. Both are excellent. And they are why I find that Bourbon + warm apple juice is still my favorite way to sip on Bourbon.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am horrible at writing reviews. What I can say is if you like makers mark, this may be its closest rival. It is equal to or slightly better in my books. Warm or chilled its good and well worth the price. Smooth with no after burn like cheaper brands.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    If you look hard enough you can find Blantons for 49.99. Normally its 50ish a bottle. Blantons bourbon is liquid gold.
    Yep right there with ya. Buffalo trace, knob creek, bookers ,bakers and eagle rare you can't go go wrong with but blantons hands down is my favorite.

Top Bottom