• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting. I am partial to a well made Old Fashioned when I'm in the mood to change things up.

Tonight I'm going to sample some 4 Roses small batch on the advice earlier in the thread. Will compare against the single barrel to see if I can tell the difference.

So far I'm thinking the small batch is better. The Single barrel isn't bad by any means, but it has a lot more bite to it. Much more burn. The small batch is really smooth with 1 ice cube. Both are good cut with a little water and allowed to stand a bit.

Last edited:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Had some Thomas Handy Sazerac at dinner Thursday night at Peterson's in Fishers, some great stuff for sure. Dark, bold, spicy and sweet. Served with an oversized ice cube, was perfect to cut down the heat of the barrel proof strength.

On a side note, I entered myself and a co-worker in Payless Liquor's lottery a few weeks back and he was drawn last to win a bottle of this same majestic stuff. Luckily he says he'll share, so at least I'll have a chance to try this stuff again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Finished grouting the new tile in the bathroom and thought I deserved a break so I cracked open a limited edition bottle tonight.

Yellowstone Bourbon

Its a 105 proof blend of 7yr Rye, 12 yr Rye and 7 yr Wheat bourbons. Clearly rye heavy, spicy and tannic. It has a long finish that is almost sweet at the end. What is not to my liking is the burn in the belly, that too is also long. It would probably be tamed down if I added an ice cube but I'm drinking it neat. Not my normal taste profile and I was unsure if I would even like this one, but I am surprised and am enjoying this bourbon.

I think there were only 6000 bottles of this stuff made. Price was $107.

There are better bourbons for less money, but this one is a nice change up because its got an unusual flavor profile that is different than most. Not for everyday, too hot for that, but if you like high rye bourbons this might be a top choice for you.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Angry Pirate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Decided to go with the bird tonight.

[video=youtube_share;JIUFH8xiDy8]http://youtu.be/JIUFH8xiDy8[/video]

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am trying the Elija Craig Barrel Proof and don't much like it.

Plenty of people seem to like it. It does have a nice bold flavor. But overall I'm not impressed. I'd strongly recommend either BOOKERS or NOAH'S MILL over this. Both of those are also 'barrel proof' offerings and I think both are simply better choices.

The aroma of the EC Barrel Proof is overwhelmingly alcohol. The flavors are covered over by a somewhat harsh alcohol tingle that is spread over the entire mouth. There is a substantial burn in the belly that lingers. The flavor actually finishes nicely but its unfortunately overwhelmed by the burn.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am trying the Elija Craig Barrel Proof and don't much like it.

Plenty of people seem to like it. It does have a nice bold flavor. But overall I'm not impressed. I'd strongly recommend either BOOKERS or NOAH'S MILL over this. Both of those are also 'barrel proof' offerings and I think both are simply better choices.

The aroma of the EC Barrel Proof is overwhelmingly alcohol. The flavors are covered over by a somewhat harsh alcohol tingle that is spread over the entire mouth. There is a substantial burn in the belly that lingers. The flavor actually finishes nicely but its unfortunately overwhelmed by the burn.

While it would defeat the point a bit, I wonder how it would taste after a few ice cubes have melted into it, or with a splash of water?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    While it would defeat the point a bit, I wonder how it would taste after a few ice cubes have melted into it, or with a splash of water?
    I suspect it would taste like regular Elijah Craig. EC is a moderately low priced, mild flavor, easy to drink bourbon at 80 proof. At 125 to 130+ proof, the BARREL PROOF variety is not as bold flavor as some others, but its got a good bold flavor. It not as smooth as some other Barrel Proof varieties either. And its just not as good. Adding water is exactly how they make regular EC out of the barrel proof.

When I have a boubon I don't much like on the first try, I tend to let it sit for a few weeks and try again. Sometimes what you eat before you try something can actually affect the taste. So I'm not going to totally write off this EC Barrel Proof just yet. But I'm clarly not about to recommend it either.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Cracking open Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage that I picked up for under a Jackson. I've stayed away from KY'S 1st distiller for a few years, so let's hope Bardstown has improved some things.
    Barreled on 5-11-06
    Barrel 633
    Bottled on 8-27-15

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    "Russell's Reserve 10 Year Old Reserve" or "Four Roses Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey".
    I really liked the Russell's Reserve Barrel Proof version.

Not a fan of any of the Four Roses, but clearly I am in a minority on that opinion, lots of people love it.

Curious to hear your opinions on these. I always found the Four Roses to have an objectionable burn.

Cracking open Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage that I picked up for under a Jackson. I've stayed away from KY'S 1st distiller for a few years, so let's hope Bardstown has improved some things.
    Barreled on 5-11-06
    Barrel 633
    Bottled on 8-27-15
    I reviewed an Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage quite a while ago. It was not to my liking, very hot when you drink it neat. BUT, add an ice cube and let it melt down a bit and it becomes a very nice bourbon. Ideal for a Manhatten or Old Fashioned too because it stands up to the mixers without losing its flavor. Experiment with it. Too much ice waters it down when it melts, so start with one cube, add another if you feel its needed, etc.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Barreled on 5-11-06
    Barrel 633
    Bottled on 8-27-15

I reviewed an Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage quite a while ago. It was not to my liking, very hot when you drink it neat. BUT, add an ice cube and let it melt down a bit and it becomes a very nice bourbon. Ideal for a Manhatten or Old Fashioned too because it stands up to the mixers without losing its flavor. Experiment with it. Too much ice waters it down when it melts, so start with one cube, add another if you feel its needed, etc.

Hard to beat a really well made Maker's Manhattan! So, tonight I tried something a little different that a bartender in Maui suggested last summer after a round of golf at Kapalua (threw that bit in for you golfers-truly respect the pros after that course). I put some ice in a shaker, gave a few shakes, then poured. It seems to have slightly reduced some of the heat, but has improved the finish without significantly watering it down where it loses flavor. It almost seems like it should be reserved for one of those brutal chill-to-the-bone nights nights by the fire.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Stopped at the liquor store where I know the owner, he was in the back office so I poked my head in asking if he had anything special.

Picked up 1 bottle each:

Parkers Heritage Malt Whiskey (yes, a Kentucky Malt! Hell has officially frozen over)

Weller Special Reserve
    at $21 its the best bargain bourbon available

Huber Vinyards Starlight Bourbon, an Indiana micro-distillery making their own bourbon and beating Pappy Van Winkle in blind taste tests!

Old Pogue's Five Fathers Pure Malt Rye a high proof rye whiskey.

Only the Parker's Heritage is over $50/bottle. Its an annual limited release product and they offer a different selection each year. The others are low production items, semi-exclusive because the production numbers are low, but none are elitist. The Starlight is probably the hardest to come by, is well respected, and the most coveted of the bunch. The Weller is the best known, has been around for years, but its releases each year are small and somewhat regional so it is hard to find in some areas, easy to find in other areas.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Stopped at the liquor store where I know the owner, he was in the back office so I poked my head in asking if he had anything special.

Picked up 1 bottle each:

Parkers Heritage Malt Whiskey (yes, a Kentucky Malt! Hell has officially frozen over)

Weller Special Reserve
    at $21 its the best bargain bourbon available

Huber Vinyards Starlight Bourbon, an Indiana micro-distillery making their own bourbon and beating Pappy Van Winkle in blind taste tests!

Old Pogue's Five Fathers Pure Malt Rye a high proof rye whiskey.

Only the Parker's Heritage is over $50/bottle. Its an annual limited release product and they offer a different selection each year. The others are low production items, semi-exclusive because the production numbers are low, but none are elitist. The Starlight is probably the hardest to come by, is well respected, and the most coveted of the bunch. The Weller is the best known, has been around for years, but its releases each year are small and somewhat regional so it is hard to find in some areas, easy to find in other areas.

Tell me more of this Starlight Distillery bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Top Bottom