• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well I don't like many places ribs, notice I said BBQ nachos. and famous daves bbq is a guise as they boil their ribs, thats not true bbq. if the national bbq association trusts my judgement I feel qualified to make statements about BBQ. sorry you had a bad experience but their trophies and ribbons tell the story.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    wow guys, thanks for all the ideas...I have totally forgotten about most mentioned here! I might have to take him to sample a few of these!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    There used to be a place in Muncie called Big Bone Lick that was awesome. I lived in Detroit at the time, so I only got to go a couple of times. They had some fantastic BBQ.

/Threadjack, but Scutter started it!

Scutter, have you ever been to QL's BBQ in Muncie? It's actually a restaurant based out of a guy's house. I went through the "drive thru" there a few times when I was a student at BSU and it's one of the many things I miss about Muncie.

Muncie's Best BBQ: Q.L.'s Reviewed - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

/End threadjack.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    /Threadjack, but Scutter started it!

Scutter, have you ever been to QL's BBQ in Muncie? It's actually a restaurant based out of a guy's house. I went through the "drive thru" there a few times when I was a student at BSU and it's one of the many things I miss about Muncie.

Muncie's Best BBQ: Q.L.'s Reviewed - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

/End threadjack.

No, never been there. I wasn't down in Indiana often, and rarely near Muncie. I only got to go to Big Bone Lick a couple of times. By the time I moved down here, it had gone out of business. Mostly we were around the Tipton or Indianapolis areas.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I remember QL's from years ago visiting an uncle who was a student there. Outstanding!

Back on track, I always thought Smokey Bones was pretty good. Especially for a chain.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not much of a BBQ rib fan... (in general, too much work for too little reward)

But, in the Indy area, for pulled pork and/or beef brisket, my vote goes to Famous Dave's and/or Squealers in Mooresville. I've not been to the NW side location.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If that's the case, then you've never had good BBQ.

Oh, I've had good BBQ. And I've had good BBQ ribs.

I'm just not a huge fan of the mess involved in eating them. :D

I'd rather keep my hands clean so I can eat other things without getting my fork all messy.

It's like eating chicken wings... I like the taste, just not the work and mess involved; so I generally don't order them.

-J-

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Oh, I've had good BBQ. And I've had good BBQ ribs.

I'm just not a huge fan of the mess involved in eating them. :D

I'd rather keep my hands clean so I can eat other things without getting my fork all messy.

It's like eating chicken wings... I like the taste, just not the work and mess involved; so I generally don't order them.

-J-

+1 to this.

I'd much rather have a good pulled pork sandwich than a rack of ribs. Most BBQ joints will give you more meat on pulled pork sandwich than you'll get on an entire rack of ribs for about 1/5th the price. The pulled pork can't be cooked in bbq sauce or it isn't any good. I cook mine with no sauce and then put a little on the bun like you would ketchup on a burger. If it is cooked in sauce, you might as well slather it on cardboard and eat it instead.

A Chinese buffet I go to has small crab legs. I get the imitation crab meat instead as I don't have to spend 15 minutes to get a couple ounces of crab. Plus the imitation stuff already has the butter on it.:D

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Hoffas in Westfield is pretty good. King Rib in Indy down on 10th street I think.
    Yes, King Rib is a decent place for BBQ. It is actually on 16th street. That store does have better food than their other locations. I go there at least once a week for lunch, and I work at 96 & Michigan.....little bit of a drive. I like the fact that you can get the sauce on the side.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like the sauces at Famous Daves, and we get GT Souths at work once a month and it's pretty good. I've enjoyed Judge's downtown at the City Market.

Still haven't found "the best" yet... need to try Squealers from the sounds of it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think along with plenty of my friends that Squealers is absolutely the worst rib place around. I quite eating there after getting ribs under cooked 3 straight times, the last time the fat was even uncooked. The waitress replied "Oh that's the way smoked ribs are supposed to look" I handed the plate back to her as I was getting up to leave and said " Oh I guess the ice cold bones and the totally pink meat means nothing, ever hear of a meat thermometer?" Threw money down to cover the bill and headed for the door.

Manager chased me out the door as I was leaving apologizing the whole way, telling me let him take care of it. Told him to never mind, that they had lost my and the 8 people who was with me business for ever and that I was not going to deal with uncooked food, and if it had happened to me three straight times, how many times has it happened to other people.

I'm big fan of Famous Dave's, tried Smokey Bones once and was not impressed, Texas Road House at times has some really great ribs, but most times are just average. Chili's ribs suck, period.

I used to love going to the Rib fest until it really became Rib-BAND-fest and became prohibitive to try and sample all the tents.

Would love for the days of Best Ribs award and 15-20 cookers vying for the trophy and business instead of just being a side note to the bands.

The cold part was inexcusable, but they were right about the pink meat. True smoked ribs DO have a pink tint.

From lloydsbbq.com:

q.jpg

The ribs are pink inside. Is the meat undercooked?
    a.jpg

The pink color in the ribs is not an indication that the meat is undercooked. In the smoking process the meat develops what is called a ‘smoke ring,’ which is the light pink-colored portion of the rib. This is the same phenomenon you see in ham products.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom