• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is it a lot cheaper to build one from ground up.

NO. If you use quality components, you will spend just as much if not more than you would buying a gun off the rack. The advantages to building are:

1) you can do it over time; spending $1000 over several months is easier than dropping it all in one shot (pun intended)

2) you can build exactly the configuration you want, using the components you want - no money wasted on parts you're just going to change

3) you are personally able to ensure quality control... bad news is if there's a problem, you have nobody to blame but yourself, and no warranty.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    NO. If you use quality components, you will spend just as much if not more than you would buying a gun off the rack. The advantages to building are:

1) you can do it over time; spending $1000 over several months is easier than dropping it all in one shot (pun intended)

2) you can build exactly the configuration you want, using the components you want - no money wasted on parts you're just going to change

3) you are personally able to ensure quality control... bad news is if there's a problem, you have nobody to blame but yourself, and no warranty.

4) you can make them in all sorts of pretty colors :rockwoot:
    Fixed your omission, just to help you out :ingo:

I would absolutely agree that there is no real cost savings with building your own if you spec out good quality parts.

I would also agree with your statement that if something goes wrong you are the only one to blame . . . but I'd also expand it a little bit to say that there are parts that may need to be honed or fitted and if you don't know how to do those things then you can actually create more trouble for yourself than you realize. Building is a great way to go, you learn a lot about the guns, but perhaps not the best way to go for the FIRST rifle. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    NO. If you use quality components, you will spend just as much if not more than you would buying a gun off the rack.

I'll split the difference between the two of you. :) You can save SOME, over an equivalant off the shelf gun of equal configuration, but don't expect to save "a lot". My experience has been about a 10% difference if you shop carefully (and don't count your time for anything!).

Here's a fourth benefit: When you're done you understand how the gun works and can do much of your own work on it from there on out.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    You will save exactly 11% over the cost of a factory built weapon vs one you build using quality parts.

Hint: the 11% you save is exactly the same 11% the company must charge you in FET tax! ;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Another option that I did once worked out very well. Instead of buying all the individual parts, buy a complete lower and a complete upper seperately.

I put together a DPMS sweet 16 with 6-pos stock and save a couple hundred doing it that way. Then again I also upgraded the trigger later $$$, and then added iron sights $$$, but it was exactly what I wanted I unfortunately had to sell it. I plan on rebuilding that rifle again as $$ and time allows.

Top Bottom