• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Benelli has a step child, Stoerger Model m2000, is great, I have 1 and my friend got 1 after shooting mine. Price is good $350-400, semi auto, top notch fer da price. Good luck
    Step Child. I would say more like the unwanted redheaded step child of your second cousin who is only related to you by marriage because your first cousin adopted him when he married the kids idiot mother.

Poormans Benelli it ain't. We all wanted it to be, but it isn't. I broke one in 30 seconds and that was at a gun show, no ammo involved. For each one that is loved there are an equal or greater number that are not.

The dream of the cheap ultra reliable $500 semi-auto is relative, based on how you define reliable. For that matter, to me all season means all weather, not all hunting seasons AKA different game. So it works in hot, cold, wet, dry, ice and snow. Not sure if that is what the OP means but that is how I took it.

Nothing is more frustrating on a bird hunt then having your semi auto turn into a bolt action gun and/or stove piping. You spend a ton of money just to get to a hunt when you factor in everything from paid time off, travel, licenses and all the other "stuff." Shaving $100 to $200 on the gun is the wrong place to save money. So is buying cheap ammo for the hunt.

Buy quality used guns at the same price point before you buy cheapo new ones. But if you can't afford more, buy something and make it work. There comes a point where you will be better served by a pump gun.

To the OP, what do the people you hunt with use? You never defined what "break the bank" meant to you.

For semi autos I own Benelli, Beretta and Remington. Listed in the order of my personal rankings for all season reliable and that includes both hunting and clays.

If I was going to break from my Brand preferences, it would be for one of the new Winchesters.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Please give me some insight as to your opinion regarding a good all around shotgun. Looking to get into duck and goose hunting this year and the reviews on some of these guns are fifty one way and fifty the other. I would like an all season semi-auto that won't break the bank. Thanks for the input!

Remington 870......had a left handed wingmaster back in the 1970's.....great gun......

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    Remington 870 or 870 Super Mag (3 1/2") on the lower end. I have shot both for years and not treated them real nicely and have had zero issues.

I like Benelli's on the higher end, like the SBE or SBE II.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If running regular steel shot for geese I'd say a 3.5" is mandatory.
    Have not tried BlackCloud (ringed) or Blindside (squared) steel shot (yet).

Back when I started blasting honkers, BBB 3.5" steel (Mossberg 835) would bring most birds down, but not dead.
    I switched to #2 3" Bismuth (1100 Magnum) and increased my range to 50 yards, and dropped most birds deader than a doornail.

The difference was amazing.

So...............I have an 870 3.5" for steel geese, should I ever go that route (Have some Blindside to try) and an 1100 SP Magnum (3" only) with fixed full choke for Bismuth #2's (as I know they work very well).

And per texts with a bud today, I might make another magnum 1100 from a standard, as I have a steel shot choke tube bbl (and magnum sleeve).

:)

Yup, I HATE changing barrels, would rather have a gun already set up.

Last edited:

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    As another poster said 870Remingon if pump,1187 is a fine reasonably priced auto by Remington .Now 3'' or 3.5'' if i was to buy a shotgun for 1500.00 i would want the 3.5''but with al the new technology 3'' is enough, just have to hit your target saw another poster say Versa max, haven't had any experiance with them an they dont have a long track record ,my sugestion would be to go to local gun store an but a few guns to your shoulder an then you be able to narrow the field a little.You mentioned you were just getting into waterfowl hunting so i would tell you to buy the best gun that fits you an leaves you with some money to spend on all the other thing that come with a waterfowl addiction good luck on your choice an remember you can never have to many guns.

Top Bottom