• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, not to :hijack: this, but since we're on the topic...

I totally agree with 870 as best pump, hands down...

But for quite a while I've been eyeballing something in the Beretta A390 line for a semi, but I've not seen them mentioned... :dunno: Anything wrong with them?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Remington 870 Magnum is a solid shotgun that can be configured to meet all your needs.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Remington 870 supermagnum or mossy 835. both are pumps but you can shoot nearly any loading from light quail loads to 3.5 inch turkey and waterfowl loads with opnly a choke change. Add a slug barrel to the mix and its good to go after nearly anything. even with the extra barrel you may be able to keep it under 600 bucks.
    What he said Too although I lke the Mossy 835. Mostly because I bought one for my oldest son about 3weeks befor deer season 15 years ago. Only made it to the range once on a sub freezing saturday morning, and was only able to put five slugs down range before we froze. But that was good enough to take his first deer on the second day of the season. A 200 LB doe, dropped her in her tracks at about 20yrds with a Breneke 3 inch mag slug. That's one of those priceless Memories!
    Was watching "Gun Nuts" today and they named the Mossber 500 one of the 50 best guns ever made. It seems Mossberg has taken a page from AR15's ther are lots of changes you can make to the 500, including turning it into an inline muzzel loader!

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

But for quite a while I've been eyeballing something in the Beretta A390 line for a semi, but I've not seen them mentioned... :dunno: Anything wrong with them?
    They are fine. I prefer the older 303's but I am old! I see the 3901 Standard on their web site. I do not recall that being there before. That may be a result of Walmart dropping Beretta guns so they offer it as the "Standard" now? Who knows who cares but it is cheap. They are softer shooting then Benellis, similar to Remingtons.

If money is not an issue, get one of the new A400's and call me so I can come try it out.

Why are there so many 870 & pump posts in a thread asking about semi auto? Jesus Christ guys, stay focused. Yes, I have my share of 870's including the first one I bought in 1978 but they are not magic..............well Wingmasters kinda' are magic.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

The A390 line is good. Now that I have an idea of what you are looking at then I would say Berretta or Winchester SX2. A 3" chambered 12 guage with 26" barrel is about as versatile as it gets. These are sporting guns for hunting or clays. A semi will be a lot faster and more comfortable for extended shooting sessions. They can be reliable as well. My SX2 just had 400 rounds put through her in 3 hours in 100+ degree heat.

People respond pump first thing when somebody asks about versatile shotguns. They cost less and barrels cost less. One gun can have a slug barrel, defense barrel, and field barrel. So versatile right? Great if you own one gun. But a good semi auto is the queen of a sporting clay or skeet course. The work great in a duck blind and are fast for the pheasants. Since I don't own a self defense shotty or slug barrel an obvious choice for me is an auto.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I like my Rem 870, it's been a dependable gun and being on a budget the price at the time was right when I bought it a few years ago. It's a very simple gun to break down and clean.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've not had the first problem or issue with my Mossberg 500 in more than 30 years. It's taken countless rabbits, squirrels, deer, and the list goes on...

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Benelli has a step child, Stoerger Model m2000, is great, I have 1 and my friend got 1 after shooting mine. Price is good $350-400, semi auto, top notch fer da price. Good luck

Nice point on the Stoeger. I've never shot a Stoeger but heard that they are a solid value.

swat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Martinsville
    I'm sure it has already been stated numerous times before, but it is hard to go wrong with an 870. Just look at the track record that it has with law enforcement and the military. In addition to the 870 being extremely durable, it is also reasonably priced and there are countless aftermarket accessories available for it.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I'm for a pump myself
    I'm a 1200/870 guy
    Nothing wrong w/Mossberg 500 variants but they are just less smooth in operation.
    I like the newer stuff as you can put a choke tube on instead of fixed choke

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    I'm just gonna repeat what everyone else has been saying....Rem 870. I have one that was a 1970's model that still functions flawlessly and a wingmaster(beautiful gun!).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Guys, guys. :D The OP was asking about semi-auto shotguns. Although I agree with all of you who recommend the 870, that is not what he was asking about.

If I ever want to know about recomendations for pump action shotguns, I think the 870 wins hands down.....:):

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I'm curious to see other recommendations of semi-autos...anyone else have any input other than an 870?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm curious to see other recommendations of semi-autos...anyone else have any input other than an 870?

If you dig through the thread there are a few semi auto suggestions.

1) stoeger/benelli - "inertia" operated guns. Reliable but have more recoil. IMO the benelli's are a bit over priced. Stoeger seems to be a good value but I have never shot one.

2) Remington 1100 & 1187 - the American autos. Good solid choices.

3) Berretta - bit more money. Good quality. Somewhat heavy. They did sell a budget line at Walmart and such.

4) FN, Browning Gold, Winchester SX - my choice! Gas guns. Soft shooting. Winchester is the meat and potatoes while Browning is the beauty queens. Keep them clean!

Top Bottom