• ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just a pitch for old school:
    Ruger P series DC (I really like the P94 in 9mm).
    Famously reliable
    Stable, easy to shoot
    Accurate enough for the range in question
    Great with a laser (either integral factory or Crimson Trace)
    17+1 and no annoying safety (18+1 if you find any old RamLine mags)

Not easy to mount a light to but I like to have mine in my off hand out to the side to keep it from attracting return fire to me.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Glock 19 w/15rd mag and TLR-1 mounted. Keep 2 spare mags, charged cell phone on nightstand. Have a Moss 500 12ga as a BUG, 00 Buck, Deer Slugs in mag tube.
    Wifey has my Service Revolver, S&W M10 on her nightstand, w Surefire Light.
    We're prepped.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I am running a 9MM it is my HK P30 with a surefire X300U loaded with Federal HST. Normally it is a springfield operator .45 with the surefire on it loaded with 230 grain Federal HST.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    It's up to your preference. g17 is a good one, 17 round mag +2 baseplate. Spare 31 round mag. A 9mm AR15 pistol with glock or Uzzi mags would be a decent one. Depends on what sizes you are wanting.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My home defense pistol is my EDC. Otherwise it's a long gun. But you guys are making good choices it seems!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The key attributes are reliability and usability. If you can't trust it, or can't shoot it, then it's anyone's guess as to whether you will successfully use it or die trying. Beyond that, a light is nice, as are night sights. Capacity is much less important, but still, nobody every complained of having too many bullets after winning a gun fight. It really does not matter what it is, as long as you are comfortable shooting it and can trust it to work when you need it to.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think flash lights or a light source of some sort at least on a dedicated home defense weapon is important. You can't make a shot when you're not sure of your target/ you don't want to shoot your buddy, mom, girlfriend/wife, kid or anyone else who may not be who you thought they were.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Glock 17 because it is full size and is a proven platform.

2. Also, its 17+1 capacity is a lot.

3. It has a consistent trigger pull.

4. Reliability. This should be a top priority and it comes with an excellent warranty.

5. They have the most options for sights, aftermarket accessories and holsters. So you can make the gun exactly how it works for you.

FIFU

ETA: I own 4 Springfield handguns and will still carry a Glock 6 out of 7 days a week.

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    I went with the CZ because of the solid feel and the smooth trigger. Its a more traditional trigger as opposed to the XDM/glock. Although I did enjoy shooting the XDM. Another consideration is if you have a significant other that needs to be able to fire it, the CZ is a big gun for big hands.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Reliability is #1, so there are lots of good options out there. For me, it is the Ruger SR9c, along with a tactical flashlight. (Olight M20X). I won't run a gun mounted light because I don't want to have to point my gun when shining my light. I wouldn't want to sweep one of my kids making noise at night, and I've got one that is an occasional sleep walker. Also, the Olight has a ring in it that makes it easy to hold the gun with both hands while still pointing the light, if necessary.

I've also got a full size SR9 that took this role for years prior to the 9c. I've put thousands of rounds through them with never an issue. I've also got a Glock 19 that I'd have no hesitation to use in this role.

Night sights would be nice, but I've found in practice walk through's at night that the standard sights work just fine. Maybe I'll upgrade at some point.

Top Bottom