• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a Marlin 44mag 1894 cowboy rifle that I am very fond of. Took 2 deer with it this morning. For some reason, I want a back up. I thought the Model 92 Rossi would fill the bill, but reliability issues have deemed it unworthy. I would like to get the Ruger 77/44 and put a good scope on it. I'm going back and forth between the Ruger and just getting another Marlin. Any opinions out there. On several occations I have taken 2 deer very quickly, so single shot rifles are not an option, and I am stuck on 44mag.

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The Marlin 1894 and Henry Big Boy would be my choices. I think they are both good .44 lever guns.

Marlin 1894: Old pre-Remington are generally preferred. Check wood to metal fit, front sight alignment and work the action on newer ones before buying.

Henry Big Boy: Some people don't like the rear sight.

A couple friends bought Handi-Rifle in .44 mag and love them. I am not interested in a single shot .44 personally.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I like my 1894 Marlin very much. If I was searching for another .44 rifle I would look for a Ruger semi auto .44 mag. My neighbor has one and it's pretty nice.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I thought the Model 92 Rossi would fill the bill, but reliability issues have deemed it unworthy.

Could you elaborate?
    I've heard of more problems with the new REM marked Marlins than with the Rossi/Puma M92.
    I have the M92 in .454 Casull. I took two doe in about 4-5 seconds last year.
    I also have a JM marked Marlin .44mag. I'd call it a toss-up between the two.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Could you elaborate?
    I've heard of more problems with the new REM marked Marlins than with the Rossi/Puma M92.
    I have the M92 in .454 Casull. I took two doe in about 4-5 seconds last year.
    I also have a JM marked Marlin .44mag. I'd call it a toss-up between the two.
    I took a button buck on opening day with one shot, but if I would have needed a second shot, I would have been out of luck. The loading gate had popped out, and a round from the magazine moved too far back into the receiver causing it to jam. I could not clear it until I got home and used a little screw driver to push the round back into the magazine. This had happened once while target shooting, but I just thought it was a fluke. I sent it to Taurus for repair. They did a very poor job of fixing it. The gate still pops out, and about 1 out of 10 times when cycling the action, a round does not release from the magazine, so you have lever up and hammer back, click, no round in the chamber. Not acceptable. I am calling Taurus back again tomorrow. They can fix it right or send me a new rifle, or keep it, and I will hit every gun forum I can find telling about their service.

Last edited:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I took a button buck on opening day with one shot, but if I would have needed a second shot, I would have been out of luck. The loading gate had popped out, and a round from the magazine moved too far back into the receiver causing it to jam. I could not clear it until I got home and used a little screw driver to push the round back into the magazine. This had happened once while target shooting, but I just thought it was a fluck. I sent it to Taurus for repair. They did a very poor job of fixing it. The gate still pops out, and about 1 out of 10 times when cycling the action, a round does not release from the magazine, so you have lever up and hammer back, click, no round in the chamber. Not acceptable. I am calling Taurus back again tomorrow. They can fix it right or send me a new rifle, or keep it, and I will hit every gun forum I can find telling about their service.

And THIS is why i'm leery of taurus products. They feel cheap to begin with...OP did you buy the rifle new?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    And THIS is why i'm leery of taurus products. They feel cheap to begin with...OP did you buy the rifle new?
    Yep. Bought it new last December. Internet purchase. Davidson's I think (Gallery of Guns). Only has 1 year warranty. Rossi/Braztech/Taurus.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep. Bought it new last December. Internet purchase. Davidson's I think (Gallery of Guns). Only has 1 year warranty. Rossi/Braztech/Taurus.

You do realize don't you that Davison's guarantees all of their sales?
    Contact Davison's. They'll send it to Taurus or give you a new rifle.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Clover leafs at 50 yards with 240 grain winchester white box ammo. He has not tried any other brands yet.

Cool! WWB is what I use most of the time. I'm leaning towards the Ruger 77/44 with a good scope, and keeping the Marlin for days when I want open sights.

You do realize don't you that Davison's guarantees all of their sales?
    Contact Davison's. They'll send it to Taurus or give you a new rifle.

Thanks! If I get it running good, I might keep it. It does have a nice feel. Might need to sell it to help fund a new Ruger though.

beardo87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    Steuben County
    I have a Marlin 44mag 1894 cowboy rifle that I am very fond of. Took 2 deer with it this morning. For some reason, I want a back up. I thought the Model 92 Rossi would fill the bill, but reliability issues have deemed it unworthy. I would like to get the Ruger 77/44 and put a good scope on it. I'm going back and forth between the Ruger and just getting another Marlin. Any opinions out there. On several occations I have taken 2 deer very quickly, so single shot rifles are not an option, and I am stuck on 44mag.
    I am currently using a H&R handi rifle in 44 mag (which you obviously are not interested in) but i have been dreaming of a Ruger Deerfield rifle or a Ruger 44 carbine. They are no longer produced and are a little bit hard to find but both are semi-auto 44 mag carbines with detachable box mags.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I love the old Ruger 44 mag semi auto. But they only eat 240grain jacketed rounds.

The upside is that some of the Ruger 10/22 accessories fit the thing. Including the famous Tech Sights.

The older ones had a tube magazine.

stern1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    Anderson
    I had a marlin in 357 and sold it. Wish i would have kept it. I went with a H&R in 44 mag, put a Leupold 3x9 scope on it and love it. Just took a doe at 125 yards with it. I still have kids I take hunting so the h&r is good for me because if they scratch it I can fix it with a sharpie. I think for the price it would be a great back up 44.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    My dad has an H&R chambered in 500 S&W I know its not 44mag but he loves it even though it doesn't cost $$$. He is talking abut getting one in 44mag now, I'm sure it'll be just as nice as the one he has in 500 S&W

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I think you would be very happy with a 77/44 . I have the Ruger in a .357 and love it . It's light weight , compact and a damn good shooter . I get about 1.5-2'' groups at 100 yds. with 158 gr. Hornady xtp's . It shoots lever revolution better but I prefer the xtp's for hunting .
    I can't imagine the 44 mag would be any different . I would guess it would actually be a better deer rifle . I wouldn't hesitate to buy one .

Top Bottom