• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    Have been considering the Ruger 77/44 to try vs the 870. Curious to see more of the posts...
    I too am going to be making the switch from my 870 to a 44 mag. I have been watching gunbroker for the Ruger Deerfield 99/44 rifles and they are going in the $950-$1200 range. I had a mini 14, and liked the looks and feel of it, so I thought it may be a cool one to have. My concern is that it won't be as accurate as the 77/44 bolt gun. Anyone have experience with both that they'd care to share comment on?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You do realize don't you that Davison's guarantees all of their sales?
    Contact Davison's. They'll send it to Taurus or give you a new rifle.

Thanks for your post! I called my FFL. He said give me 10 minutes. He called back in 5. They are sending a brand new rifle today!:yesway: I talked to him about selling it for me, and maybe another rifle. He has a Ruger 77/44 with a Leupold, he is thinking about selling. He wants to build a .358 WSM.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Have been considering the Ruger 77/44 to try vs the 870. Curious to see more of the posts...

I too am going to be making the switch from my 870 to a 44 mag. I have been watching gunbroker for the Ruger Deerfield 99/44 rifles and they are going in the $950-$1200 range. I had a mini 14, and liked the looks and feel of it, so I thought it may be a cool one to have. My concern is that it won't be as accurate as the 77/44 bolt gun. Anyone have experience with both that they'd care to share comment on?

I loved my 870 with rifled barrel and Remington copper solid sabots, but have not regreted switching to a 44mag one bit! Just keep in mind, it really won't increase your range. If you plan on shooting more than 100-150 yards, there are better options.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    I loved my 870 with rifled barrel and Remington copper solid sabots, but have not regreted switching to a 44mag one bit! Just keep in mind, it really won't increase your range. If you plan on shooting more than 100-150 yards, there are better options.
    I'm not really looking for more yardage, what I'm looking for is a lighter platform. My 870 has a smoothbore, and has killed many deer, it just weighs 8#+.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Ruger 77/44® Rotary Magazine Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I've hunted with 870 12 ga, great gun
    hunted marlin 1894, Ok gun but scopes just don't sit on it right, accuracy never what I wanted
    Hunted with Puma scout rifle, Best scope mount on lever I've seen, accuracy better than Marlin, Still a lever and just doesn't feel right

77/44 5.25lbs and perfect size, comes up easy with heavy clothes on, not only light but has a compact feel, easy to manuver around the tree and in ground blinds, For me just the perfect rifle, I have a burris fastfire on it and it just works well

Top Bottom