• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I really like the Tactical Innovations 25 round steel lip magazines. In my experience, they are more reliable than the other aftermarket magazines available.

I've had my Butler Creek mags for quite a few years now and have never had a single problem with them...for half the price. Whenever the time does come to clean them out because of crud and what not in them (haven't gotten to that point yet and I've been thru thousands), I'll just go buy a couple more new mags.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I know a thing or two about 10/22s, and honestly, if I had to do it over again, I would get whatever 10/22 you like AS IT IS, shoot the heck out of it, and THEN upgrade / modify it.

A common mistake, is buying all kinds of cool parts, and ending up with a heavy barreled boat anchor that costs $1000 dollars.

I am saying, enjoy the 22 for a while as it is. It will most likely shoot just fine, go to a couple of appleseed shoots, learn the gun, THEN start on the upgrade fest.

Yes, my 10/22s have very few Ruger parts left in them.

But the title of this thread is "Best 22lr Semi-Auto Value" and swapping a bunch of parts out right off the bat will net you a rather expensive gun.

My advice is to enjoy it as it is for a while, because there is a LOT of dollars that will go into relatively little improvement.

I scored a 236 at an Appleseed shoot with mine, and I am pretty confident I could do it with a box stock 10/22 just as easily.

What I am trying to say is, dont jump to the 250 dollar barrel, 200 dollar stock, and 150 dollar internals right away. Enjoy the gun as it is for a while, because 10/22s can jump right out of any meaning of the word "Value".

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Excellent advice guys. You are right, just need to shoot it and enjoy it. Then figure out what I need.

I did stop by Dick's Sporting Goods today and saw they have a Savage 64GXP or Mark II GXP on sale for $160.... WITH a Simmons 4x scope included. I'll start another thread on Savage Arms opinions. :D I liked the rifle a lot. It felt good and solid only thing I would need right away is bullets and bi-pod. Thoughts?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Excellent advice guys. You are right, just need to shoot it and enjoy it. Then figure out what I need.

I did stop by Dick's Sporting Goods today and saw they have a Savage 64GXP or Mark II GXP on sale for $160.... WITH a Simmons 4x scope included. I'll start another thread on Savage Arms opinions. :D I liked the rifle a lot. It felt good and solid only thing I would need right away is bullets and bi-pod. Thoughts?

Had a Savage MKII, heavy barrel, scope included. Scope was strictly adequate, but the gun is simply outstanding. The Accu-trigger is a thing of beauty, and the accuracy was superb. I like my 10/22, but if we get a Savage .22 in at the store, it'll be mine and my 10/22 will become a spare.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    It appears the scope on this model at Gander Mountain is a cheaper scope(almost BB guns style). The one at Dick's has the look of a better quality scope and I thought it was higher magnification than 4x.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It appears the scope on this model at Gander Mountain is a cheaper scope(almost BB guns style). The one at Dick's has the look of a better quality scope and I thought it was higher magnification than 4x.

IMHO, the gun is more than good enough to buy, even if you decide you want to replace the scope.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My three tops picks are; Remington 597, Ruger 10/22, and Marlin model 60. The 10/22's have a ton of aftermarket accessories. Which allows you to go from mild to wild. I just recently picked up a 10/22. Now that, I have it working correctly, I really like it.

I bought my 10/22 already customized.

Butler Creek side side folding stock.
    UTG rail
    Bushnell Trophy red dot scope.
    Truglo front and rear sights.

DSCI0008.jpg

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Well... I went and got the Savage model 64 GXP. I feel pretty good about the purchase. I'll run a few rounds through it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I have the Umarex/Colt M16/22. Its a great gun when you use the correct ammo and adjust it correctly. Very accurate and feels more like a m16 than the S&W. I also have the GSG AK27/22. Also a great gun.
    UltraDotandM1622007.jpg

UltraDotandM1622006.jpg

AK47Puma1911TaurusModel9222LRs006-1.jpg

AK47Puma1911TaurusModel9222LRs003.jpg

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree that most of the 22 semi-auto's mentioned are all good ones.

I bought my 10/22 from the factory with the Tapco adjustable stock already installed. I can't tell you how please I've been with it. Honestly, I used to like only the big calibers, but now this is almost my favorite shooter. I love the fact that there are so many accessories for it.

I'm sure the Savage will be good as well. Congratulations and safe shooting...

Here's mine at FCVCC:

picture.php

picture.php

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    What are the must-have upgrades for the 10/22?

Thanks in advance!

bolt buffer, bolt buffer, bolt buffer! they are like $5 and are a no brainer. other than that what I did was had my bolt reworked(radiused, headspace ground, and pinned the firing pin) for $35 and that will help reliability and feed any type of ammo better and a more consistent firing pin strike. I have not done anything with the trigger yet but the sky's the limit from a $40 sear to a $300 trigger pack. I put a threaded barrel on mine because I have a suppressor coming in, but you can have the factory barrel accurized if you like the stock look. but really the first two things will help a 1000% and for only $40.:twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I agree that most of the 22 semi-auto's mentioned are all good ones.

I bought my 10/22 from the factory with the Tapco adjustable stock already installed. I can't tell you how please I've been with it. Honestly, I used to like only the big calibers, but now this is almost my favorite shooter. I love the fact that there are so many accessories for it.

I'm sure the Savage will be good as well. Congratulations and safe shooting...

Here's mine at FCVCC:

picture.php

picture.php

I added my Tapco after I had my carbine for a few months. How do you like the Red Dot on it with the angled stock? I used a site through mount for mine so I could keep the stock straight...but I've since switched back to a variable 3x-9x 40mm scope. I also have a stubby foregrip which allow me to move the grip closer back to the mag, but I may go with a grip pod and try that out. I too really love the hell out of mine now and am always shooting it because it's been so fun...especially the raccoons trying to get into the chicken coup at nite.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    How do you like the Red Dot on it with the angled stock? I used a site through mount for mine so I could keep the stock straight...but I've since switched back to a variable 3x-9x 40mm scope.

I like the Red Dot. I recently went to a 2x Red Dot, but honestly liked the small one better. The 2x still isn't enough to compensate for getting older. :oldwise:

The red dot works fine with the angled stock since you don't have to have a directly line of sight view through the scope. I've had no problems using it with the stock.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I like the Red Dot. I recently went to a 2x Red Dot, but honestly liked the small one better. The 2x still isn't enough to compensate for getting older. :oldwise:

The red dot works fine with the angled stock since you don't have to have a directly line of sight view through the scope. I've had no problems using it with the stock.

RegionnusRattis

This was my cheap build...$361 total package....since then I put the muzzlebrake on the end like I saw in yours.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Nobody said GSG-5 yet? They're getting cheap these days with the latest version selling for under $400 on buds. The 22lr AR just feel like crap to me, but for whatever reason the GSG-5's don't.

For the money though, a 10-22 is unbeatable.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just got a 10/22 LVT (light varmint target) at PSS a couple days ago. The LVT has a medium-weight, tapered 20" barrel, sling loops, and the target trigger found in the T-models. This variant strikes a nice middle ground between the carbines and the T-models (there's a good review on Gunblast). I'm installing Burris Signature rings, a Mueller APV scope (the LVT's have no iron sights), and a sling... Then it's time to do LOTS AND LOTS of shooting!

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    I've been very pleased with my Marlin 795. Not infinitely customizable like the 10/22 - but its more accurate than I am and relatively inexpensive. I figure I can add some Tech Sights and purchase add'l magazines and be ready for an appleseed - for only a little more than a standard Ruger.

Top Bottom