k22001.jpg

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Don't forget the classics

The Rugers are very popular, mainly due to their price and availability. But if you have a desire to shoot 10X bulls eyes then find a Smith & Wesson 41 or one of the classic High Standard pistols. The Supermatic Trophy, Citation, Victor along with the 41 have a trigger to die for. They are pricey and not in every gun shop.
    A real sleeper is the discontinnued Smith & Wesson 422. I have owned one since they 1988. I have fed it thousands of every known 22 round made with no hic-ups, even when filthy. I can nail pop cans at 30 yards and man sized targets at 150 yards. ( I have witnesses)
    If you are looking at Revolvers. There is only one choice. The Ruger Single Six. The balance and "point-ability" of this shooter can't be beat. I have taken running rabbits with mine. And with the magnum cylinder you have fire power that can take down coyotes or used in home defense.
    I love shooting .22 handguns.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    The Rugers are very popular, mainly due to their price and availability. But if you have a desire to shoot 10X bulls eyes then find a Smith & Wesson 41 or one of the classic High Standard pistols. The Supermatic Trophy, Citation, Victor along with the 41 have a trigger to die for. They are pricey and not in every gun shop.
    A real sleeper is the discontinnued Smith & Wesson 422. I have owned one since they 1988. I have fed it thousands of every known 22 round made with no hic-ups, even when filthy. I can nail pop cans at 30 yards and man sized targets at 150 yards. ( I have witnesses)
    If you are looking at Revolvers. There is only one choice. The Ruger Single Six. The balance and "point-ability" of this shooter can't be beat. I have taken running rabbits with mine. And with the magnum cylinder you have fire power that can take down coyotes or used in home defense.
    I love shooting .22 handguns.

Thank you for all the good info here. Do you prefer the Ruger Single Six even over the S&W Model 617? I've never shot either, but I have always thought that the swing-out cylinder of the 617 made more sense than reloading through the cylinder gate of the Single Six... (boy, I sure hope I'm recalling those differences correctly).

Thanks for your thoughts about those two models!

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Well..., that was kind of my gut reaction too. But I love the idea of paying half the money for the Single Six! - if it's that comparable.

NeoJudas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Lafayette
    ... admit to being a late joiner to this thread, but figured for a first post it makes some sense for me. After I did some shopping around and comparing weights and balances as well as prices and availability *AND* maintenance, I chose to go with the Beretta Neos-22 (6") myself. I have enjoyed the weapon greatly so far and it definitely serves well as a target .22 and a first time pistol for myself and others that have borrowed it. My niece has joined me this summer, and in her hands the Neos-22 is borderline unerring at ranges up to 20 yards or so (she likes the Zombie Targets). The recoil is nominal at best, and it's price remains fairly steady over the years since it was introduced. I do wish they had made a .380 or 9MM version of the gun, if for no other reason that now of course these days .22LR ammo is so annoyingly difficult to come by.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You should check out the Sig Hammerli Trailside .22LR for under $400.00 which places you in the same ballpark with the plinkers. This one is no plinker, but can be used as one and makes a very fine one too.

netlander10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Looks like river wins this room. I still like my high standard victor. The 22 short barrel on it is areal tack driver!

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Ruger mk III with the heavy bull barrel. It has the American mag release, in the proper place and will eat anything you feed it. Stay away from the Sig Mosquito. I am a huge Sig fan, but my Mosquito is the worst money I've ever spent.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I tend to be pretty old school. If you can find a 1960's High Standard Supermatic target pistol you will be pretty impressed. Since they cost about 2 weeks pay for a mill worker in the 60's the few cherry ones that are around bring a pretty good price. If you ever get a chance to shoot one, you will love the precision.

Top Bottom