• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well the OP did say "target pistol". So why not take the plunge. Smith & Wesson Model 41.

2012-01-14_21-46-33_732.jpg

But right now my favorite .22 pistol to shoot is this:

2012-01-14_21-38-10_422.jpg

Ruger Single 10. It is very accurate and much easier to pack around then a rifle.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    There has been a few Mark III's that have caught my eye but haven't grabbed one yet... Probably the biggest obstacle keeping me from doing it is it hasn't been all that long since I have mastered putting the mark II's
    together and don't know if I want a curve thrown at me with the mark III... LOL

Haha, right! But I'm beginning to think that that's like an urban legend, you know?

This whole dark secret to re-assembly of a MK II (someone else can confirm about the MK III) is flipping the gun over (without letting the bolt slide out!) and pulling the trigger in order to let the hammer strut down and free (while also not wedged behind the frame crosspin!) to engage the oval cut in the mainspring housing. Then snap the housing latch shut. It is SO much easier to do than it was to write that!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Smith and Wesson Model 17

For semi auto, Buckmark hands down. Accurate, don't have to clean them, don't have to lube them. The dirtier they are, the better they run. I'd go with a Browning over a Ruger any day.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a Ruger MKII Gov Target, a Stainless Competiton Model and a 10" Target Model and they all shoot great. Buttttttttt........ When I really want to shoot the best I can I use one of my S&W Mod 41s. ;)

I have a slew of other 22s as well but the 41s are my favorites by far. :)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Can't bet the Rugers. Your great, great, great grandchildren will be shooting them, unless Obama and the democrats manage to take them away first. The rugers will lat for generations.

My Ruger Mark I has about 50,000 rounds through it......and is the most accurate gun I own, by far. you can drive tacks with it.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    which 22 ?

I have two Ruger , one Smith 22a and two Marvel converted 1911's. For plinking any of the first ones are o-k. For any serious target work jump right to the Marvel. They offer a standard length and a longslide version. Absolutely fantastic 50 yard accuracy.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Since no one has mentioned it and the OP was asking about best bang for the price, I think the Beretta Neos is a great choice. Very accurate and runs around $269 new for the 6" version. It also has a built on weaver rail and is easy to break down and clean.

Nothing against Rugers as I love them too. But the Neos usually runs a bit cheaper than the Rugers and performs very well. Just my :twocents:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    there seems to be a lot of ruger out there for sale and not very many Browning it like people keep them and not the ruger as much

Being previous owner of Ruger Mark III 22/45, was not real crazy about it. Great feel, decent trigger and quite accurate, at 25 yards, not farther. Very difficult to take down and to put back together and quite picky about being clean. Not the same gun as their 10/22.

87gsxr711

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks

This was a great read. I am in the same spot as the OP, looking for a 22 to start shooting in local smallbore matches. I like the Neos for the price but was a little uncomfortable in my hand. Really comes down to Ruger and Browning for me. Going to barrow a Ruger for a shoot on Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom