• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Kimbers don't really use a series 80 style though. Smith, Sig, Taurus, Ruger, Remington do. Kimbers don't use a blade style, just a pin/lifter.

Of those being said, the Sigs and Smiths have good triggers out of the box, 5lbs, crisp, maybe a bend of the sear spring and you're GTG, same with Kimber.

The ruger is a series 70 style not 80

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I like my ruger its accurate,reliable and looks great. Cant go wrong with the ruger.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    +1 on the springer, for that price range. The kimber and the desert eagle would be next if it was MY list, but it's yours. I know, the Kimber-haters will bring out their pitchforks, but I've had good luck with them.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I will just throw this out there...

When buying a sub $800 1911, inspecting fit is possibly more important than the brand name on the slide.

Some brands may be less likely to produce lemons than others, but every brand in that price range will put out one or two.

Whichever brand you decide on, look over the specific firearm thoroughly.

You can find a $400 RIA that fits together well, or you could pick up an $800 Kimber that rattles.

Last edited:

Horvy04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate it. I've been looking at the RIA's GI and tactical and they seem to get great reviews for an entry level 1911. I am keeping my eyes open in the classifieds but I still need a few more posts in the forums here before I can communicate in the classified section. Again thanks to everyone!

Last edited:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Metro Arms

A friend of mine, has a new American Classic 1911 by Metro Arms.
    It is more accurate than other 1911"s costing much more. He has about
    400 rounds through it so far, with NO issues.
    My friend has two 1911's costing much more than the Metro Arms pistol,
    so he does have something to compare to.
    Can't tell you about long term reliablity, but so far he can't believe what a good pistol it is.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Series I Kimber would be my pick.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

The first 1911 I owned was a Series I Classic Custom that I bought for $400. Traded it for 2 Glocks. Worst trade I ever made. *sigh*

But it gave rise to Rob's Rule #113 of Guns - Never trade, sell, or otherwise get rid of 1911s.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I too have an American Classic II. Very nice lower budget 1911.
    For 800 like most everyone else has said Kimber or Colt Sig or Taurus if you can find one you like.

rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to echo a previous poster and their comments on the Rock Islands. I had one of these as my first 1911. Full size, basic RIA out of the box. The factory mag was horrible. I used a pair of Wilson combat mags after that and they fed anything, and the RIA spit it right out. I put an ambi safety on it because I'm one of "those" lefty shooters, and some night sights, hogue grips. I could go on, but you get the idea. For the price, you can't go wrong, and while made in the Phillipines, I believe they have customer service center in Nevada, and the come with a lifetime warranty.
    Good luck!

Rob Watson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    I agree with TopDog, 1911's u either love or hate. Buy ya a used RIA. If you love it then save up a go with a Kimber or Colt. I have a 70 series Gold Cup and that is the best of many that I have had.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The first 1911 I owned was a Series I Classic Custom that I bought for $400. Traded it for 2 Glocks. Worst trade I ever made. *sigh*

But it gave rise to Rob's Rule #113 of Guns - Never trade, sell, or otherwise get rid of 1911s.

How long is the rules list?

Top Bottom