• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not sure why people say the new Colt's are inferior to the old ones. Back in the day the first thing you did with a Colt 1911 was to give it to a gunsmith to get it working reliably. The new ones work well from the factory. I have a Lightweight Commander, a Government Wiley Clapp, and a Gold Cup and all shoot very well. I would certainly consider a Colt if I were buying a 1911 today.

I have been in more than a few and was seriously disappointed. I sold my Mid-80's made Colts and wish now I had not. I have had 3 since then and again, seriously disappointed especially for the price they demand.

Hoe old are your Colts.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    I got to fiddle with the new CZ 1911 last week. Thing is solidly built, has a very tight lockup and has a great trigger for a gun in that price range. My only beef was it was an A1; once they make modern variants I'd be more interested.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got to fiddle with the new CZ 1911 last week. Thing is solidly built, has a very tight lockup and has a great trigger for a gun in that price range. My only beef was it was an A1; once they make modern variants I'd be more interested.

Have 4 CZ's currently. 2 are fully Cajionized. 2 are stock offerings. Difference is night and day but as with anything you modify you will eat that money if you sell it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have 3 - Colt, Kimber, and American Classic (cheap)

I like all 3 but the Colt is probably the best of the 3 with Kimber just barely behind it. The American Classic is a great bang for the buck if you don't want to change any of it.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I'm sure the CZ 1911 is good, but it's pretty basic unless that's what you're going for.
    I prefer a much more modernized 1911, but each to his own.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Dan Wesson :) It's awesome. I know CZ owns Dan Wesson, but don't they make the A1's elsewhere? I don't think Dan Wesson has anything to do with them. :dunno:

Honestly I don't know. I couldn't imagine why Dan Wesson wouldn't be the one making the CZ A1. They claim it is American made 70 series pistol. Sounds an awful lot like a Dan Wesson but nothing in the literature I've read really says

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Honestly I don't know. I couldn't imagine why Dan Wesson wouldn't be the one making the CZ A1. They claim it is American made 70 series pistol. Sounds an awful lot like a Dan Wesson but nothing in the literature I've read really says

My suspicion is that the CZ is a rebranded (or debranded?) DW. But like you, I have found nothing to confirm my suspicion. I can't help but think of the CZ model as an entry-level DW, since CZ is the mothership.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Close but the first 1000 are being finished by DW until CZ is ready to 100% take over production. For the price point they are excellent. That being said I will still stick with DW for all my single stack needs.
    03ukPMuh.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Close but the first 1000 are being finished by DW until CZ is ready to 100% take over production. For the price point they are excellent. That being said I will still stick with DW for all my single stack needs.
    03ukPMuh.jpg

Have you inspected one yet. I am anxious to see what the fit/finish/trigger is like.
    I have heard (I know, he said she said) that the trigger is standard A-1 fare so expect 5 plus pounds. Same source says A-1 fit/finish as well. I need to see one to verify but at the price point I saw I will stick with my Springers. I have built up some sweet sweet Hot-Rods from A-1 basics.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Have you inspected one yet. I am anxious to see what the fit/finish/trigger is like.
    I have heard (I know, he said she said) that the trigger is standard A-1 fare so expect 5 plus pounds. Same source says A-1 fit/finish as well. I need to see one to verify but at the price point I saw I will stick with my Springers. I have built up some sweet sweet Hot-Rods from A-1 basics.

Triggers need work, they are on the heavier side with a hair bit of creep (small sample size I have only seen one but still) The finish was OK for a $750 gun appeared to be a basic bluing job. The slide to frame was good as well as barrel lockup. And supposedly there are no MIM parts in the gun too. Its a pretty sweet gun for the price. If they put "regular" sights on the gun and make it in stainless with a beaver tail safety with the speed bump Ruger would be given a run for its money IMHO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Triggers need work, they are on the heavier side with a hair bit of creep (small sample size I have only seen one but still) The finish was OK for a $750 gun appeared to be a basic bluing job. The slide to frame was good as well as barrel lockup. And supposedly there are no MIM parts in the gun too. Its a pretty sweet gun for the price. If they put "regular" sights on the gun and make it in stainless with a beaver tail safety with the speed bump Ruger would be given a run for its money IMHO.

The no MIM thing is a plus. Trigger might shoot in but still, forged ignition controls and gritty...
    $750 is still a bit salty for an A-1 with no toys on it.

I will take your word for this but I need to see one. Curious now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    It would be my first 1911. I'm leaning towards the Springfield Armory offerings right now but that's down the road a bit. I like the looks and feel of the Springfields and I have never come across a bad Springfield firearm.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The no MIM thing is a plus. Trigger might shoot in but still, forged ignition controls and gritty...
    $750 is still a bit salty for an A-1 with no toys on it.

I will take your word for this but I need to see one. Curious now.

Check out the Dan Wesson forum on the 1911 site, there is allot of info about the new CZ there. I think you would have to do more customization work to the CZ than a springer though but I could be wrong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Check out the Dan Wesson forum on the 1911 site, there is allot of info about the new CZ there. I think you would have to do more customization work to the CZ than a springer though but I could be wrong.

There has been some chatter about these.
    Now I am curious. I know what it takes to build up a Springer past finding a well fit up frame/slide gun. I always check one over pretty well and the tighter the better. I can set the clearances on a tight one a lot easier than a loose one.

I am also wondering if the standard parts offerings will fit the new CZ.

Top Bottom