• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    I had a Bersa thunder .380 for a while and after a couple hundred rounds downrange at 45 to 50 cents each, it was pretty reliable and I wasn't afraid to carry it. That was in the first year of the Obama reign when there was almost no ammo available and what was available cost a fortune. It's a little better now, but .380 ammo is still about 1/2 again as much as 9mm.
    Bersa keeps threatning to bring out a single stack 9mm, but apparently is having trouble with our government dingbats about bringing it into the country. The BP9cc is sold in other parts of the world, and if they ever do get it for sale here, I'll probably have to have one. Right now I'm seriously looking at the LC9.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    i bought one two days ago went to the range this morning put 100 rounds threw it and it did well i think it jammed twice, but fun to shoot very inexpensive gun but 380 ammo is high.
    I didn't mention it but I noticed my bersa is VERY finicky if it isn't cleaned after each time I take it to the range. I know regular maintenance should be done to all firearms, my bersa just lets me know sooner than my other firearms do. :twocents:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I had a .380 Bersa. I once de-cocked it with a round in the chamber (I know!!!), and it went off. My bad, but still disconcerting. The safety was a little hard to work. Sold it for what I paid for it after 200 rounds.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a Bersa 383a (precurser to the Thunder 380) I love it, don't have any issues with it, will say that the safety takes some getting used to. I agree with what everyone else has said concerning the cost of ammo! I'm looking at getting into reloading because of the cost of .380's and 9mm, and well because it seems like a fun thing to do :D

I've not had any issues with the bersa being temperamental about cleanings...

jlm262

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    indianapolis
    I didn't mention it but I noticed my bersa is VERY finicky if it isn't cleaned after each time I take it to the range. I know regular maintenance should be done to all firearms, my bersa just lets me know sooner than my other firearms do. :twocents:

we did clean it but there had only been 10 rounds down it so that could be the reason why it jammed

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    My Bersa .380 is reliable and comfortable to shoot-hard to beat at any price :twocents:. Wife has a Bersa Thunder 9-she loves it-no problems whatsoever.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a fan of Bersa as well. I've got a 9UC, a 45UC and a 380cc. I've had a couple other Bersa 380s and keep selling, then rebuying them. The 380s are nice shooters, as are the large frame Bersas.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Bersa 383a (precurser to the Thunder 380) I love it, don't have any issues with it, will say that the safety takes some getting used to. I agree with what everyone else has said concerning the cost of ammo! I'm looking at getting into reloading because of the cost of .380's and 9mm, and well because it seems like a fun thing to do :D

I've not had any issues with the bersa being temperamental about cleanings...

Reloading is what let me shoot 380 all through the 380 ammo drought. I can load 380 for less than $5 per box of 50. It's also one of the easiest cartridges to load.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I had a .380 Bersa. I once de-cocked it with a round in the chamber (I know!!!), and it went off. My bad, but still disconcerting. The safety was a little hard to work. Sold it for what I paid for it after 200 rounds.

I don't think it was your bad, the gun malfunctioned, and THAT'S bad. There should be no problem with decocking the gun with a round in the chamber (although pointed in a safe direction, of course, in case of malfunction).

Every time I load my Bersa Thunder, I use the decocker with a round in the chamber. I put in a full mag, rack the slide, drop the hammer with the decocker, pull the mag to top it off, and put in back in.

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't think it was your bad, the gun malfunctioned, and THAT'S bad. There should be no problem with decocking the gun with a round in the chamber (although pointed in a safe direction, of course, in case of malfunction).

Every time I load my Bersa Thunder, I use the decocker with a round in the chamber. I put in a full mag, rack the slide, drop the hammer with the decocker, pull the mag to top it off, and put in back in.

This is what I do as well... I've never had an issue with the decocker on the Bersa... half the time the decock on my Ruger P89 doesn't work, but that's a different post!

donavonmaxwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    I own a Bersa Thunder .380 for my CC weapon,loaded with 95 gr. HP's.....I love it and it is very accurate....Up close if a BG comes at me,I feel secure in the fact that my weapon will "stop" him.My gun on my nightstand,when I go beddy-bye,is a .38 Special with 158 gr. HP's....I really love that one it's a Charter Arms Undercover snubnose.....I love America.....

donavonmaxwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    I own a Bersa Thunder .380 for my CC weapon,loaded with 95 gr. HP's.....I love it and it is very accurate....Up close if a BG comes at me,I feel secure in the fact that my weapon will "stop" him.My gun on my nightstand,when I go beddy-bye,is a .38 Special with 158 gr. HP's....I really love that one it's a Charter Arms Undercover snubnose.....I love America.....
    And when I say "stop" I mean stop,not kill or anything of the sort....God help me if I were to HAVE to inflict a wound that would end someone's life....BUT,if you kick in my door,you WILL pay the price!!

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    Had one sold wish i had it back,yes the .380 is a questionable round for self defense yes it had a magizine safety yes its bigger then other 380's out there,BUT it went bang every time i pulled the trigger got carried(read as abused)everyday at work and kept humming

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Absolutely love my Bersa Thunder 380. Paid 245 for the duotone with paper box and one mag. Have put maybe 200 rds thru it and its been absolutely 100% reliable with factory and ProMags. Have used PMC bronze ammo and Herter's steel cased with no issues. Easy & light to carry when my Full size is just too much. Of my 3 pistols it is the best feeling in my hand, by far.
    2elb05u.jpg

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have owned three of these good little pistols in the past, and all worked fine for me. The only thing I found is that it seems to take Bersa a while to do repair work on their stuff. About ten years ago I had one that had the trigger return spring break and it took, if memory serves me correctly, about twelve weeks for them to get it fixed and returned to me. Maybe they have got faster since then, I don't know.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Had one sold wish i had it back,yes the .380 is a questionable round for self defense yes it had a magizine safety yes its bigger then other 380's out there,BUT it went bang every time i pulled the trigger got carried(read as abused)everyday at work and kept humming

Yes the above is true and it still keeps on humming. Not a failure at all for me as well.:rockwoot:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I've had several and I've never had a malfunction from any of them. Actually, I kinda regret selling the one I did get rid of!

Top Bottom