Bersa Thunder 380 problems (!!&*$$%%#!!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    A while back I purchased a Bersa Thunder 380 duotone used for $200 at a shop; supposedly with less than 50 rounds through it. Bore looked good, I'd read good things about them as reliable inexpensive concealable pieces and it seemed like a reasonable deal. It was actually issued as an officer sidearm in some South American armed services, God knows why - what with about a zillion high quality service designs out there.

What with one thing and another I didn't get around to shooting it for a while after buying it, though I did clean and lube it. When I finally got to the range with it, it turned out to be reliable all right - I could rely on having at least two FTF problems out of every seven round mag, with the round sort of hanging up on the feed ramp, kind of stovepiping-like. I thought okay, let's try different mags, and bought two new Bersa factory maps and disassembled, cleaned and lubed all three mags. Same results; 2-3 rounds and FTF. This was with American Eagle and Blazer Brass FMJ ammunition in all cases; no hollowpoints.

Bersa explicitly recommends against tearing the piece down other than field stripping except by a qualified gunsmith, which some might say is a warning sign right off the bat. After doing some reading on the Bersa Talk website, I finally ended up throwing up my hands and sent the piece and the mags off to a place called Colorado Gun Works, which does warranty work on Bersas. Kudos to Bersa, they do offer a lifetime warranty. (Cost sixty some dollars to ship it; thankyewverymuch FedEx.) They fixed it (supposedly) and fired thirty test rounds through it (also supposedly) and sent it back. Took it to the range full of anticipation of a nice shooting session and - wait for it - got exactly the same result, 2-3 rounds and it locked up the same way. Now I know that straight blowback operated autos are very sensitive to limp wristed shooters, but I don't think that's the problem - I mostly shoot 1911s and my shooting technique is okay (not perfect, I know I'm not Jack Weaver or Jeff Cooper).

I like the Bersa's feel and have no problems with carrying a 380 - it's a whole lot more comfortable than lugging around a 1911 and when it does off, it's pretty accurate. But if it can't be relied upon to go bang, I don't want to carry it - might take more than two rounds to make a bad guy go away, unlike a .45 - I'll put up with some physical discomfort if I have to in exchange for the peace of mind that goes with a 1911, weight, size and all.

What with the warranty shipping and the new mags, I've got around a hundred bucks into a piece that cost me two hundred to begin with and it...still...doesn't...work. (Through gritted teeth, like you can't tell. And before anyone says it, I already know the moral of this story - if you're going to buy an inexpensive, i.e. less than $300 piece, BUY NEW. Every good story has a moral, right?)

Are there any Bersa owners out there who have any ideas, before I put this problem child on the For Sale board? If need be I'll sell it for $175 and chalk up the loss as a learning experience, but I really don't want to. I also don't want to spend any more money sending it back to the warranty place, they done "fixed it" once already.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    PM Indygunworks, he can do a full strip, ramp polish (if it needs it do to burs or what not) either way I can almost guarantee he will find your problem.

Have you considered that it has an aftermarket recoil spring? Might be too much. My only other thought.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Have you tried any other ammo besides the American Eagle and Blazer. I know some guns are picky about what they will shoot. Just a thought.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Have you tried any other ammo besides the American Eagle and Blazer. I know some guns are picky about what they will shoot. Just a thought.

Yes, I did have some a few Winchester FMJ - I'd read that they were picky about ammo other than round nosed rounds so I figured I'd start off with plain brass case FMJ ammo. No joy. Haven't bothered with anything more expensive like Corbon. It's kind of a challenge to get 380 ammo of any kind at all these days.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'm sorry to hear about your FTF issues with the Bersa 380. There are two Bersa's in our home and they have been 100% reliable with everything that we feed them. The only caveat to this is that my wife's Bersa just suffered from the dreaded "disconnecter spring" issue. I am not too worried about this issue since it will come back better than it left.

I refuse to use CGW (Colorado Gun Works) for any of my service. If you browse the BersaTalk forums, you will quickly see that the site owner and CGW have a little business going that funnels all service to Royce at CGW. You will also see that quite a few customers have their Bersa's returned in the same condition they left, and Royce never wants to explain the problems or solutions to Bersa issues.

I highly recommend the gunsmith below for Bersa issues:

Reynersons Gunsmith and Firearms in Baton Rouge

Reynersons
    10044 Hooper Road
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70818
    Phone: (225) 261-4860
    Fax: (225) 261-4865
    Email: reynersons@gmail.com
    (Ask for Nick)

Also, NEVER polish the feed ramp of a Bersa 380. The ramp is the same anodized aluminium as the frame and you will only remove the hardness off the ramp.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like the Bersa's feel and have no problems with carrying a 380 - it's a whole lot more comfortable than lugging around a 1911 . . .

Sorry to hear about your Bersa problem. If you decide to dump it, take a look at the Kahr CW9. Lighter than the Bersa and more potent.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm sorry to hear about your FTF issues with the Bersa 380. There are two Bersa's in our home and they have been 100% reliable with everything that we feed them. The only caveat to this is that my wife's Bersa just suffered from the dreaded "disconnecter spring" issue. I am not too worried about this issue since it will come back better than it left.

I refuse to use CGW (Colorado Gun Works) for any of my service. If you browse the BersaTalk forums, you will quickly see that the site owner and CGW have a little business going that funnels all service to Royce at CGW. You will also see that quite a few customers have their Bersa's returned in the same condition they left, and Royce never wants to explain the problems or solutions to Bersa issues.

I highly recommend the gunsmith below for Bersa issues:

Reynersons Gunsmith and Firearms in Baton Rouge

Reynersons
    10044 Hooper Road
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70818
    Phone: (225) 261-4860
    Fax: (225) 261-4865
    Email: reynersons@gmail.com
    (Ask for Nick)

Also, NEVER polish the feed ramp of a Bersa 380. The ramp is the same anodized aluminium as the frame and you will only remove the hardness off the ramp.

Thanks for the tip. Hate to send it off yet again and spend more shipping money, but....

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Can't imagine any other way of removing a bur or other problem off the metal, but to each there own.

I do agree with you that most firearms can use a little polish and debur, but unfortunately the Bersa Thunder 380 is not one of them. I have seen the closeups of the "polished" ramps and divots made by jacketed ammo in the soft aluminum are horrendous. The other side effect of polishing the ramp is that it instantly voids the lifetime warranty.

I can say that every other semi-auto I own has had a nice fluff & buff, which includes a shiny ramp.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The only time I had this problem with my Bersa was because I was "limp wristing". Let someone else, like a Range Officer, shoot it for you. If nothing else it will at least eliminate this as the issue.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hmmm... I carry my Bersa Thunder .380 in the summertime, and other than an ugly trigger pull, I haven't had a single complaint with the gun. Solids or hollowpoints, it's eaten it all with no trouble.

Bummer to hear that you are having problems. I really don't have any good solution for you, but I will encourage you not to give up on the Bersa .380, though it sounds like yours may be terminally flawed. I like mine, and it is indeed MUCH nicer to carry than a 1911, though the Bersa doesn't imbue that Terminator feeling that a massive 1911 gives. :shoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Hmmm... I carry my Bersa Thunder .380 in the summertime, and other than an ugly trigger pull, I haven't had a single complaint with the gun. Solids or hollowpoints, it's eaten it all with no trouble.

Bummer to hear that you are having problems. I really don't have any good solution for you, but I will encourage you not to give up on the Bersa .380, though it sounds like yours may be terminally flawed. I like mine, and it is indeed MUCH nicer to carry than a 1911, though the Bersa doesn't imbue that Terminator feeling that a massive 1911 gives. :shoot:

When you say "ugly trigger pull" I assume you are referring to the double action(first shot) mode, as opposed to the single action?

I ask because I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the Bersa trigger. Every review I have read, in fact, praises it as one of the best out there.

Just curious
    (sorry for the threadjack)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    When you say "ugly trigger pull" I assume you are referring to the double action(first shot) mode, as opposed to the single action?

I ask because I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the Bersa trigger. Every review I have read, in fact, praises it as one of the best out there.

Just curious
    (sorry for the threadjack)

Yes, I was referring to the double action first shot. It creeps really far and there is no decisive point when you can tell that the gun is about to fire. But it's really not any big deal. That's why I went with an open hammer carry gun, since I can always pull the hammer back if time and opportunity afford.
    And of course, nothing against the Bersa. As I said, it's my carry gun, so I gotta like it.

Okay. :hijack: Sorry about that. :):

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I have a 380 duotone and it's perfect. I'd polish the feedramp. the Bersa feeds the cartridges nearly straight in from the magazine so going in should not be a problem. Perhaps it's some other problem. USUALLY these indeed are good guns.

However, every now and then some part that is really out of alignment gets put into anotherwise perfect piece and really fouls it up. You may
    wish to cut your losses.

Check out bersatalk and see what others have had to say. Your problem is obviously repeatable so there should be other examples.

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    There are modes of polish that wont remove a coating by the way. You just need to 'touch it up a tad'. But if Bersa says it voids their warranty - well - it ISN'T working like it is....

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    after looking at my 380 thunder I find it feasable that you should be able to see some kind of imperfecton which is impeding the forward movement of the cartridge into the chamber. Can you manually rack a full magazine through the pistol with no noticeable difference from cartridge to cartridge?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sorry to hear of your issues with the Bersa. I've got 3 in the house and have had great luck with all of them. My Thunder 380 is my daily carry piece in the summer and has not had an issue yet, but I've only put about 300 rounds through it. Hopefully you will be able to get it sorted out and enjoy it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom